Best drivers for PUBG/Fortnite ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by alexander1986, Feb 25, 2018.

1. alexander1986

alexander1986 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    Yo

At the moment I am running 388.71 and wonder if you guys know any driver that gives better performance in PUBG / Fortnite ? (I think they run on the same engine and those are the only games I play anyway)

The thing is in Fortnite I have nice fps and super smooth mousefeeling EXCEPT for 1 situation,

If I stand a bit outside of Tilted Towers at certain distance, and I look in to the city it completely kills my fps and mouse input goes to hell also,
    60-90 fps feels like 5-10 in this situation :/

I took some example pictures to show the dramatic fps decrease when looking over the town:

#1. Looking at Tilted Towers from outside (bad fps and extremely unsmooth mouse feeling here, 70-90 fps feels like 5-10 honestly): [​IMG]

#2. Same place, looking away left side from Tilted Towers: [​IMG]

#3. Same place, looking away right side from Tilted Towers: [​IMG]

#4. Same place, looking away back side from Tilted Towers: [​IMG]

In *ALL* other areas my fps is perfectly fine, and as you see if I just turn a bit away from city fps jumps up to 200+ from 60+ and the mouse is super responsive and all is good, I can even enter the Tilted Towers area and fight inside the houses/on top of roofs and my FPS is still fine,

only when looking in to tilted from outside a certain distance like above example completely tanks the fps, have a feeling I need better cpu and game needs better optimisation? :S

Think the whole areas textures are being loaded in a bad way or something, IDK.

My specs :

i5-3470 @ 3.36 ghz (some turbo mode in bios enabled)
    gtx 1060 6gb
    8gb ddr3 ram
    win10 64bit

playing on 1080p, no vsync, all gfx settings on low/off, I wonder if its worth at all testing different drivers in this case? overclocking my 1060 a bit? could it be CPU bottlenecking somehow ? (can I check this somehow? when I check my cpu usage its around 70% in all situations except when I look towards Tilted Towers like above, then it goes up to 90% if that matters?

tried putting the game in above normal/high priority, no difference, GPU load is never higher than 50% if im not mistaken, probably because the 120 fps cap? any tips for me to try to get higher fps in that particular spot? :D

any tips appreciated anyway! cheers

2. Rapyer

Rapyer Guest

GPU:
    1080ti
    try disabling hyperthreading, it might give extra 5-10 fps

3. Xul Aethyr

Xul Aethyr Active Member

GPU:
    1080TI MSI Gaming X 2ghz
    disable hyperthreading on his i5? neat trick...

since gpu usage is 50% when your fps drops its a cpu bottleneck

alexander1986 likes this.
  4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    CPU bottleneck.

There's no magical driver to fix that.

Need faster CPU and memory usually helps too.

5. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    I'd sell the chip and pick up a 3770k and oc to 4.6, should carry you another year or so with that GPU. Relatively cheap are those i7's now

6. alexander1986

alexander1986 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    Thanks for all answers, guess I will have to upgrade cpu/mb/ram sooner or later, maybe epic games will optimise also some day ^^

7. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    Only have to upgrade CPU if you get the 3770k can keep the rest