Bay Area GeForce users w/ random Chrome TDRs after installing 352.86+ driver...

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by ManuelG, Jun 6, 2015.

1. SSJBillClinton

SSJBillClinton Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 MSI GX Trio
    I've had 1 TDR while using just Chrome, no TDR's in games. Stock single 980, Afterburner polling rate to 6000, after the TDR I went to 8000 and have not seen anything since.

2. PirateNeilsouth

PirateNeilsouth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    980 OC
    Nope, it isn't

3. Kishkumen32

Kishkumen32 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB
    It has to do with the boost clock and the voltage not being in sync, which causes the instability. There is a thread on nvidia's forums that details exactly how to reproduce the issue.

I can't post the link, because I am too new, but if you google for "boost feature instability nvidia", it should be the top link. It links to nvidia's forums.

The thing with Chrome is (and even Steam), is that with hardware acceleration enabled, if you run into something that needs the GPU, it will boost the clock. It will be almost like a game that you should be able to easily play, but you run into gpu intensive moment that needs the gpu to work harder. It is at these moments where the card becomes unstable because the voltage and core clock aren't in sync.

The forum post on nvidia's forums does a much better job at explaining it. I would advise you to look that up.

I hope this gets fixed up arkham knights "game ready" driver, but I have my doubts. These bug has existed since last fall, but other things seem to have brought it to the surface for a good deal more people.

The only "fix" people have found is to either A) mod the bios to adjust the voltages or B) run KBoost. For now, those are going to be the only fixes until nvidia gets there head out of their ass and stops screwing around with clocks and voltages when in a game.

4. PirateNeilsouth

GPU:
    980 OC
    Mine is bios modded and it will still give you a driver has stopped responding if you use the latest driver and more especially with hardware acceleration enabled.

So it's not that either

These are all just placebo fixes until Nvidia get their bloody act together :bang:

5. LinkAugustus

LinkAugustus New Member

GPU:
    GTX 780ti x2
    KBoost fixed the problem for me. Thanks for the info Kishkumen32, hopefully Nvidia have this sorted out with the next driver.

6. superzeus

superzeus Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4080
    i have the same problems than you guys but is with Internet explorer exactly same issue crash over crash in less than 5 mins i get 5 crashes of course get recover but is annoying big time and this start with this drivers i have the latest one and still occurred

7. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Well, I played The Witcher 3 for over 4 hours yesterday and The Vanishing of Ethan Carter for another 3 hours without any TDRs so either I was lucky or those games are not affected.

The Witcher 3 boosts to 1,291 MHz on the core and because I am also using HairWorks the GPU usage is almost always 99% yet it has been 100% stable for me for the 65 hours I have been playing (well, it did unexpectedly exit to the desktop once without any error, which was really odd but I put that down to a one-off glitch since it has never reoccurred).

For the most part, my games are stable with only a few titles affected by TDRs. So far those include Project CARS, Batman: Arkham Origins and Far Cry 4. It is not consistent though as I have played Project CARS since the first two TDRs, which both occurred within minutes of playing, and for well over an hour and not had any TDRs. I have disabled the RTSS onscreen display though since, not that I am saying that is definitely the cause.

8. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Odd how I was getting all sorts of crashes in Witcher 3 and just opening Windows Explorer and browsing in Internet Explorer. I then replaced my gtx780ti cards with Titan X cards. The 780ti cards were pre overclocked, the Titan X are not pre overclocked, but I have over clocked them. Since using the new cards, not a single crash. The only crashes I have got, are in games where I forced higher anti aliasing settings, which I see are no longer supported by the Titan X card. I have my game profiles saved, and import them when I install a new driver. Looks like I have a bit of editing to do to my profiles.

9. nvanao

nvanao Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780 Ti Classy
    Does new 353.30 driver fix freeze issue on Chrome?

10. PirateNeilsouth

GPU:
    980 OC
    No, if anything people are reporting more crashes

There is a reason ManualG run off with tail between legs as he knew it was never going to be fixed in this driver :)

11. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    Do you play Far Cry 4 with any Gameworks features on? Using any of the "Above Ultra" settings is a guaranteed crash for every single person playing the game, the only way to avoid crashing currently is to use Ultra and all Gameworks settings turned off. Ubisoft/Nvidia goofed up big time and have yet to fix it.

12. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Yes, I Do have the GameWorks features enabled in Far Cry 4.

13. dsr07mm

dsr07mm Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX980Ti G1 6GB
    Dropping out of the game on destkop without error is usually error about drivers stopped working. It's just visible in even viewer and not on destkop as notification.

14. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    Try turning those off and see if you still get crashing. They cause crashing for all configurations and have for the last couple of Ubisoft updates.

15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Try this, go to uefi/bios and raise ram voltage a bit, if its 1.50 then try 1.525 or 1.55v.

Well I see you had TDR in a few games (some with 780, 980 and now 980ti) and undervolted ram can cause it too, well worth a try (it won't harm anything).
    Also Corsair ram is a bit tricky, I saw few saying when they changed to other brand it stopped too, mostly mobo+ram compatibility issue.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015

16. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025

Not true at all. I haven't had any crashing in Far Cry 4 when set to Ultra + gameworks features enabled.

17. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE

Yah it's a lot worse for me.. was having crashes every 15-20 minutes. Ended up turning off hardware acceleration which has fixed it for now. Crazy I had no TDR issues with my 780Ti cards, but the 980Ti are really giving me a problem with TDR errors.

I did read on overclock.net forums someone fixed it by doing a BIOS mod to raise the voltage a bit in P8 Power State. Never modified my Video BIOS before, not sure I want to try. Don't want to make a $650 paper weight!

If it comes down to a BIOS fix, Nvidia better push that out to all the 3rd party vendors so we can get our cards patched up!!

18. ravaged

ravaged Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 2080 Super
    Modifying the BIOS isn't that hard but yeah I can understand the sentiment.

If you dump your BIOS and just take a look in there, see which values people are talking about changing, it becomes really obvious that you can only **** it up by changing things you shouldn't.

Taking your example, you'd be raising the voltage on a lower power state to just a little bit higher, yeah? You would still be running lower voltage than full 3d load, so I can't see how that'd remotely risk bricking your GPU. Last time I looked, voltages are changed via a slider so you can't even typo a dumb voltage in there.

I imagine the 980ti (like its other Maxwell cousins) also has dual bioses for easy rollback purposes but that's something you'd want to look into to know for sure.

19. FDisk

FDisk Guest

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX970 OC 4GB
    You don't even need a dual bios if you screw up. You can boot with the on board GPU and flash the secondary GPU.

20. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Like me, you have an SC (super clocked) variant of the GTX 980 Ti. I am wondering if the TDRs are a result of the GPU not being 100% stable for the overclocked settings EVGA are using?

Fortunately for me, the TDRs I am experiencing are relatively infrequent and I am able to play the majority of my games without issue. The TDRs seem to be limited to specific games (Project CARS, Far Cry 4, Batman Arkham Origins) but it is not conclusive as I have been able to play two of those for several hours with TDRs (which usually occur within a few minutes of playing them otherwise).

It's all very confusing and annoying really. You don't expect these kinds of issues on a piece of hardware that costs £560. :3eyes: