Aug Security Rollup KB4512506 causing Win 7 Embedded boot errors

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Watcher, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    For Everyone's information:

It looks like Microsoft forgot to make this update available https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ning-support-requirement-for-windows-and-wsus for Windows 7 Embedded OS which installs the ability to use SHA-2 code signing. As soon as the Aug 2019 security rollup update is installed, " KB4512506 " upon reboot, the OS indicates " Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file " which of course is caused by the lack of the SHA-2 code sign support. https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/4512506/windows-7-update-kb4512506 I've had two NVR's go down due to this issue.

Exact error that appears on the screen after OS reboots:

File: \Windows\system32\winload.efi
    Info: Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file.

The work around for now is to to edit BCD using the switch nointergritychecks 1. See this youtube video for further instructions.

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
  3. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    C:
    cd boot
    attrib bcd -s -h –r
    bootrec /rebuildbcd

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    its not a issue that rebuilding bcd will fix.

5. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
  6. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    First, Thank You for looking up the download locations and documentations. Appreciate it.
    Second, The problem original stems from the fact that the Windows update server is not issuing this update before applying the Aug security patch.

Regards

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  7. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    Further troubleshooting has revealed that the 2019-03 Servicing Stack Update for Windows Embedded Standard 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4490628) had already been been installed on the Windows 7 Standard Embedded device. I do not know if it's only Windows 7 Standard Embedded devices that are having this issue or certain configuration of Windows 7 computers? If anyone else is running into this, would you post a comment on this thread. Will update as I learn more about this issue.

Regards

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I have a windows 7 computer but its not affected as i don't use UEFI on there.

perhaps Microsoft failed to update the efi module with the required signatures?

just checking, but there does not appear to be a KB3133977 for Windows 7 embedded, this might be the problem