ATI Catalyst 9.2 XP|Vista Driver Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by v4npro, Feb 20, 2009.

1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Well, 9.2 was supposed to have the multi-core optimizations that 8.12 had, but after lastnight I believe they removed the improvements that the 9.1 cats had. I don't play Crysis Warhead, nor do I have a 3870 else I'd check it out for you. I'm starting to see the same FPS issues that others have complained about with WoW though. Areas I used to get 80-120fps in...I'm now getting 40-60fps in. Seems ATI hasn't really figured out the multi-core optimizations yet. I have to set processor affinity to 23 (core 3 and 4) for WoW to even get above 40fps with these drivers.

Do have 1 issue I wanted to ask about though. Any logical reason why my framerates at 1440x900 should be lower than at 1680x1050? I always thought higher res was more demanding...

2. Miller

Miller Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 660ti Signature FTW
    Installed here no problems. Fired up the Crysis level Onslaught (it used to run fine at highest settings but would stutter in heavy action) and much to my delight it played through perfectly smooth all the way through. No FPS figures but honestly I was really quite pleased at the difference.

3. Zebatshu

Zebatshu Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX670
    Had some troubles installing these, but got it to work. Another problem i having now is to get Crossfire to work in 1680X1050. When i scale my resolution down or play on my 19" screen then crossfire work 100% but as soon as i change my resolution to 22" 1680X1050, CF just does not start up in any game :cry:. This problem is really crawling in under my skin, does any one have similar issues or maybe a solution to this particular problem? :confused:

4. pekka

pekka Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX580twin frozr PE
    damn if i had the money to gget me another HD4870 so i could try CF but ehy i´m happy as i ahve no large issues other than Vista itself ok so it is getting a bit better but let´s face it it never was that good?

5. Zebatshu

Zebatshu Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX670
    Well if CF starts up then there is a visible performance increase, an increase so good that makes me happy that i have 2 of them in my system. Up to now i really havn't that much issues with my cards, just this last one seems unsolvable, oh yes i forgot to mention the problem in my last post mainly occurs with Source games, ie CSS, team fortress2 , hl2 etc...

6. gkovacs

gkovacs Member

GPU:
    Sapphire ATI 4850 Toxic
    Yeah I've got the same problem with Crysis Warhead DX10. (Regular Crysis DX10 runs fine.)

Game starts fine, but when I load a saved game / start a new one, map loading stops at around 70% with level music playing in the background. Can only get rid of it via task manager.

** EDIT**
    Disabling AA helped one time, but map loading still keeps to fail most of the time.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  7. Ellisdee

Ellisdee Member

GPU:
    2x4870x2 1x8800 Ultra
    nilo when u have strange issus like this u rly shloud reinstall ur whole system
    save ur user folders on diffrent harddrives by location move after u reinstaleld ur system u just use the user folders from other hd and have nearly ur old os back u just need to install programs
    i think ur os is messed up with old drivers driversweeper dont helps rly well
    or better asked how long didnt u reinstall ur os?

8. nilo

nilo Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SUPRIM X
    well, maybe since December 2007, whole my stuff has given me done a bunch of work to get this thing whole up.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  9. randomizer

randomizer Guest

GPU:
    5600 xt Gaming OC
    Installed 9.2 over 9.1 DNA and works fine.

installing drivers over older drivers some times stuff up so need to do driver cleaner.

10. Ellisdee

Ellisdee Member

GPU:
    2x4870x2 1x8800 Ultra
    long time :) save ur user folder (c:\users\) here a tutorial how to do it if u dont know
    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/107990-personal-user-shell-folders-move-location.html

and dont forget the appdata folder :) i think a reinstall will fix ur problems
    cant be that ur one of 3 ppl here who have those hard problems with 4870x2

even driver cleaner doesnt help some times there are some backup locations were they dont delete anything

and use method 1 tha the data gets copied

when this is all installed on ur machine its rly a lot of work just can give u a hint my system is build up for fast os reinstall most games dont need to be installed so they are all on e: my user folder like desktop etc are on h: and some on w: so when i reinstall my os i just have to locate the old user folders and i get my desktop back with most shortcuts ie favorits etc some games i had to install after a complete reinstall take me somthing like 45 to 60 min on this way but i dont have 1000 games lol

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009

11. nilo

nilo Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SUPRIM X
    got done after a fresh OS install

[​IMG]

:):):):)

Crysis Warhead DX10 does not work.

12. cl0k

cl0k Member

GPU:
    XFX 6970
    :( the fan control still broken (for me)

13. v4npro

v4npro Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7900XT
    Since you got a 4870x2 shouldn't u see crossfire option there at the bottom?

14. oMek

oMek Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 @ 1100/1600
    x2's dont show a crossfire option. it just works by default. no way to really shut it off.

15. Acid Twin

Acid Twin Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire ATi 4870 X2 2GB
    Also noticed suddenly no mkv's work in media player classic, definitly driver related cos on roll back they work straight away as per usual.

16. ForgedReality

ForgedReality Master Guru

GPU:
    HD4870x2OC + 9600GT PhysX
    On boot, first core is in 2d mode, second core is in 3d mode. Using a 3d accellerated application and then quitting puts both cores back into 2d mode, according to GPU-Z. 9.1s didn't have this problem as I remember, but idle temps weren't mega-high like they are now when I first boot, so I didn't actually bother checking.

17. nutyo

nutyo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
    I just checked and don't have this issue.

18. bokah

bokah Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    its 1½ year old building and in finland where wiring and power is usually good quality, but im no expert with frequental collisions of electric, all i know this splitting worked

19. bokah

bokah Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    u can still disable it from device manager, top ddriver is for 2nd core (atleast i had), then boot up and voila 4870

20. m.3ck

m.3ck Member

GPU:
    2x 4890 1GB CF
    Welp, just installed to check and its still there! Man, I'll never be able to get my achievments w/this game! :bang:

FEAR2 runs great now though, without disabling cat ai. I was getting a lot of hitching before 9.2