Anti Aliasing causing white dots on edges and texture seams

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Ewilusz, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Ewilusz

Ewilusz Guest

GPU:
    Evga 560gtx 1gb
    ya the new drivers havent seen to change much for me in apb or bc2, though like I siad only get them in manage item screen and custom maps in TF2 and the AA sucks on railings in L4d2, haven't seen white dots in that game though

Don't know, but It seems that in every game I encounter some sort of AA error, be it white dots or edges on object and such.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  2. Lavcat

Lavcat Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7900 XTX
    I thought it might help if I posted a screen shot of the white dots/dashed lines I am seeing in WoW with AA enabled. It's not a new problem. Look at the junction of the right wall of the inn with the front wall of the inn.

Depending on the camera position and view distance these artifacts appear as dots or dashes.

[​IMG]

3. Ewilusz

Ewilusz Guest

GPU:
    Evga 560gtx 1gb
    Eh I am more worried that some of it persist even with AA off, but that might be ****ty design I guess. Also you got a few white dashes in the left wall too.

4. Lavcat

Lavcat Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7900 XTX
    And on the ceiling boundary also. The problem seems to occur where two dark textures come together. Caves show it best but I happened to be at an inn. However I have never seen this problem at all when AA is off.

5. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    also add COD4 MW and COD5 WAW to the list..

Its fcking annoying, yea especially with smoke as a background (for example air support nukes)..

6. Ewilusz

Ewilusz Guest

GPU:
    Evga 560gtx 1gb
    Been playing through portal 1, half done and so far only found 3 instances of the AA issues. Two on actual textures, though 1 seemed like tearing. The third is on the gun, on certain angles can see a little bit of white dots in the gun, but hard to replicate.

7. geeunit

geeunit Master Guru

GPU:
    intel 4500mhd
    with the 11.4 i started getting those dots along texture edges
    with the 11.3 cap3 i dont seem them anymore
    with that 11.4 preview its the only driver i seen do that

8. Ewilusz

Ewilusz Guest

GPU:
    Evga 560gtx 1gb
    so is a cap like a hotfix on a driver? and If i want to install it, im guessing do a driver sweep and install 11.3 again then cap?

9. Lavcat

Lavcat Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7900 XTX
    My screen shot was taken using 11.2. For me the dots are not a new problem.

I have tested the 11.3 and 11.4 preview drivers but I can't use them because my frame rates in WoW are cut almost in half compared to the 11.1 and 11.2 drivers. Totally unplayable for me. I never looked for the dots in 11.3 or 11.4 preview but my guess is that they still would be there.

10. Ewilusz

Ewilusz Guest

GPU:
    Evga 560gtx 1gb
    ya , some in portal 2 but not much

11. Ewilusz

Ewilusz Guest

GPU:
    Evga 560gtx 1gb
    so question, with dynamic shadows on or shader detail high, the shadows look some what jagged and have bumps. Notice mostly in portal 2. Good game

12. Ewilusz

Ewilusz Guest

GPU:
    Evga 560gtx 1gb
    Question, do new caps contain all the fixes of old caps or will I have to get them all?

13. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    a CAP is like this

game1 - do this
    game2 - do that

the next CAP just keeps adding on

game1 - do this (no change)
    game2 - do that (no change)
    game3 - do another

maybe there is a problem with forcing AA in game1, so the 3rd CAP could be

game1 - do this, disable AA
    game2 - do that (no change)
    game3 - do another (no change)

that would be pretty awful if you had to install all 20 CAPs since they came out... you just install the latest

for some reason i missed this thread last month, the tf2 model viewer pics you cant really use since for some reason they dont render at native resolution, so they're pixelated & blurry

but the other pics i do see that something is a little odd

if it persists with AA off, then it's probably the fault of how the object is modelled or textured

in minecraft, all the textures are stored like this: http://static.accelerated-ideas.com/news/images/best_minecraft_texture_packs.jpg

when i force AA & AF, i see colors starting to bleed, since all the textures are actually 1 image, the edges of another texture start appearing
    [​IMG]
    so on the left it's turning orange, probably the lava texture is bordering on that side of the stone block texture, etc

what's that last tf2 map, is it custom or valve made?

14. Lavcat

Lavcat Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7900 XTX
    I had confirmation from Blizzard support that this is "a known issue and occurs on both ATI and Nvidia cards under DirectX 11."

AA has to be enabled though.