Anthem

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
  2. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090
    Well, I for one am loving it.

Angantyr likes this.
  3. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    So far it looks rather generic, nothing much seems to distinguish it as a "BioWare game" from what I've seen (demo gameplay and first impressions). The sound design and overall graphics are good enough, animations too. The story seems completely irrelevant or uninteresting (at least so far, might get better at some point; but I doubt it, it's definitely not a priority), the NPCs look about as interesting as Bethesda NPCs. The combat looks... sort of boring, except whenever some special abilities are off of their cooldown which then sort of makes it look a bit more fun.

The enemy A.I. generally looks dumb as I expected (maybe with the exception of the bosses... maybe), many of them just stand there doing nothing (I saw that not just in the Angry Joe impressions but others as well), so the "Tactics" in the game will probably be all about Build Vs Enemy weak points rather than trying to come up with a strategy because enemy A.I. would adapt to situations as well as requiring specific builds to take down (then again most kids would complain about A.I. being too good, so making sure they're sitting duck bullet sponges is the way to go).

So far, I'm feeling a lot more negatives than I do positives (but there's some, like the mechs or whatever they're called, Javelins? the customization seems to be alright on them, credits where due).

I kept my hype very low and thought that just maybe I'd be surprised when first seeing actual non-stop gameplay. Now that I've seen some of that I can say without hesitation that I am absolutely not impressed, nor do I feel any 'incentive' to jump on board as an early adopter; especially not at full price. All in all, it looks like it's going to be pretty bland and generic. I won't pay $80 (Canadian) just to fly around because that seems to be the best part of the game.

In my book Anthem is totally a case of "Might be worth buying at $15 or $20 in about a year from now", maybe. I'll check again when the full game comes out, check some more gameplay videos at higher character levels to see what it's all about in the longer-than-Demo term; maybe check some streams and see some bits of the "Story" and the "Character development". If there's more to it and if it does impress me more than I thought it would then I won't have a problem changing my mind about it and I might even consider buying it at some point. But for me First Impressions can make or break a game, so far my impressions just looking at it are very much in the "Meh" category. Not a good sign, but I'll keep my mind open until it matures and has been out for a while.

cerebus23 likes this.
  4. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Sorry... but I'm not going to put down RE2 to try this out.
    This was bad timing for the demo release. Chances are EA thought they didn't have any competition, and the demo would flood everything.

But... nope.
    A lot of people have been very negative on this game. And, I've seen a lot say they would rather play RE2 or other titles instead of bothering with this.
    If Anthem bombs, and trends continue... BioWare could be the next EA studio to go that way of Visceral or Pandemic.

Kolt likes this.

5. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    It would be nice to at least see Bioware Proper work on a new Mass Effect at the very least before EA does the dirty.

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
  7. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
  8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Whats up with GTX cards? They dont test those anymore?

Edit : yeah, activation limit. Stupid.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    cerebus23 likes this.
  9. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Talked to a friend on Steam who tried the demo out.
    He asked me what the last BioWare game I enjoyed was, I told him ME2... he laughed and told me to pretend Anthem doesn't exist. He said... "You'll be happier that way."

cerebus23 likes this.
  10. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Played about an hour so far, seems ok to me, kind of like The Division meets Iron Man.

11. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    Yea the issue is that biowares core fanbase are single player RPG players in large part. And EA does not like single player games anymore.

If you fall outside that then yea probably appeals more. Does the full game have enough to keep players playing though? that is the big unknown. As does bioware even have the ability to make good to great single player games anymore? that is unknown as well :p.

millibyte likes this.
  12. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    My first worry was the announcement that it was more focused on MP "raids" ala Destiny then crafting a single player experience.
    Personally... I know this is great for those people that want it, but it's instantly off putting to players like me who want a solo experience. And not a half-assed "Oh, you can play it solo... I guess" one.

I am the odd man out in this case, as the industry... and a lot of player base has shifted to a more online/coop play style. But, I'm still... "stuck" (I guess) in the single player path.
    That's what I like, that's what I want to play.
    Competitive MP bores the living hell out of me, because I don't care about "being number 1"... I want an engaging experience. And, coop gets on my nerves because even with friends... my slower play style always clashes with someone who wants to run around like a over-amped crack head.

emperorsfist, INSTG8R, pharma and 3 others like this.
  13. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
    Same, I could see myself purchase this one at some point, the reservations being;
    1. Clarity on the microtransactions and overall monetization model
    2. The optimisation differences between the demo & full release
    3. Removal of mandatory mouse positive/negative acceleration.. Seriously, stop making the mouse emulate an analog stick.
    4. Because its an online game with only voice chat and emotes for communication... I'm gonna wait and see how friendly to hostile the player base turns out to be before I join in on it.
    But with EA Access now being a thing, I kinda suspect we will know lots about the game performance & end game content during those 7 days before official release to the masses who don't subscribe to EA.

At least BioWare is gathering feedback about the PC version; https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheG...o_spoilers_the_pc_version_is_an_afterthought/

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    INSTG8R and cerebus23 like this.
  14. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    Eve
    It s not about being nb1, it s about enjoying time with friends playing and testing ur skill, especially in cs go or bf4, for me it can t be only singleplayer experience alone when it comes to gaming, MP is part of ur everyday gamer, everyone has friends that play online and u enjoy ur time doing that..

15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Downloaded 43GB, started.. ups connection error, you can't play yet, unless you purchase..

Only if someone invites you who already has this pre-order thingy.. what a bs. :rolleyes:

16. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    It's about what that person enjoys.
    For me, I don't need or want to "test my skill" against other players... because I don't care how my "skill" measures up.

Not everyone plays games to play online. Not everyone enjoys that or wants to do that.
    One of the first things I turn off in DOOM Eternal will be the "Invader" mode.
    MP has not been a part of my "gaming" since then, and even back then... it was never a large part. It was very, very small. Only ever in terms of testing.
    I simply do not enjoy it.

17. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Nope, I cannot stand playing online for the most part and I would much rather have a solid SP experience than be forced to group with people.

While this does not seem to be the case in Anthem, it is pretty much a deal breaker for me if there is any kind of forced PvP or grouping in order for me to experience the game in it's entirety.

pharma and Damien_Azreal like this.
  18. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
    I share your sentiment completely. It seems though that Anthem doesn't have PvP, after a bit of google-fu "Anthem PvP" a bunch of articles pops up explaining why it doesn't have it at launch. As it stands, the game is PvE focused and it might be a long while before any form of pvp ( if ever ) gets implemented.

Unrelated, but worth noting IMO. The lead producer responded to a LOT of criticism regarding the PC port. He addressed nearly every issue and wants it dealt with. Just the fact he even bothered addressing any of it I think is a rarity from a studio of their size.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheG...text&utm_name=pcgaming&utm_content=t1_ef4xrdo

BangTail likes this.
  19. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I got in yesterday evening and played for 3hrs. Only got a connection issue once but other than that, no crashes or problems whatsoever other than a few bugs (lightning, vegetation, physics, camera).

I think the game is way too demanding. Sure, it looks great but moving the sliders doesn't do that much tbh and that was very annoying. For example when standing out in the wilderness moving the vegetation slider from Ultra to High made no difference in FPS.

The game itself is not bad at all but I don't like that you're basically forced to play in squad. I like to play solo from time to time but the bosses have way too much HP (Normal). I still think I'll get a month in Origin and play as much as I can.

20. Pey

Pey Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 980 STRIX @ SLI