Another look at HPET High Precision Event Timer

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Bukkake, Sep 18, 2012.

1. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    @kelzthetraxer

Note that now we do pollute this thread with posts not even remotely related to OP.

kelzthetraxer likes this.
  2. kelzthetraxer

kelzthetraxer Active Member

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    I do agree and I’ve been thinking about this the whole time we had this conversation. Should I post about my interrupts results here or start a new thread? And if start a new one, then where exactly? I’m very knew to this forum and generally to this stuff so I’m not sure. Thank you.

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Choose
    https://forums.guru3d.com/forums/general-hardware.10/
    https://forums.guru3d.com/forums/processors-and-motherboards-intel.25/

Upd: Copy your first post (with problem description) from this thread, describe steps you took and the results.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    kelzthetraxer and patteSatan like this.
  4. bwana

bwana Member

GPU:
    780GTX
    I've been benchmarking my 10700k with HWBOT x265 v2.2.0 and it will not run unless HPET timer is specifically enabled in the OS. BIOS 607 on maximus 12 hero.
    Has anyone noticed this? I thought windows was supposed to enable the HPET as needed?
    This is a brand new windows install version 20H2 OS build 19042.630

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020

5. kelzthetraxer

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    Just to clarify, I enabled HPET today and ran that command but it says it's not found, basically.

Thank you. I will inform you once I'll get to that.

6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Windows does not enable or disable HPET, BIOS does. Windows either ignores it or uses it (if enabled in BIOS).

Smough likes this.
  7. kelzthetraxer

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    Okay, there is one thing I am curious about right now. Lets say I installed 1709, which is said to have proper timers. What exactly do I have to do in order to get 0.5 timer? Thanks.

8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Pray? :rolleyes:

9. kelzthetraxer

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    Does that sorta mean I should not really try tweaking that?

10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    That meant "a joke".
    I don`t know why do you want 0.5 ms of system timer resolution, so I can`t tell should you do that or not.
    Also I don`t fully understand your question, because you already know all apps that can set that resolution.

11. kelzthetraxer

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    The reason why I want to try it is because of the stutters my system has, and my current timers are always uneven, no matter which bcdedit command I use. Thank you.

12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    First try without timer tweak.
    And note that game launchers Steam, Origin, UPlay (Connect) do set timer resolution to 1 ms.

13. kelzthetraxer

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    I just did a small DPC latency test like you suggested, but the test in the exported file is too long to insert it in to a "code" section. Any help?

14. kelzthetraxer

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    Nvm, sorted it out (I think). Please check my thread once you'll have time, thank you.

15. BlackNova92

BlackNova92 Master Guru

GPU:
    16gb
    i know this has probly been answered a million times already, but for windows 2004, is disabling dynamic tick doing anything?
    also i've just deleted the value for the hpet setting and re-enabled it in my device manager(i usually disable hpet but more and more people say to leave it al one),
    and what about useplatformtick? should that still always be used with "yes" to get even timers?

just looking for the most optimal settings for gaming right now(fps in my case), i added useplatformtick: yes, disabledynamictick: yes, then i used the command to disable hpet, but ended up deleting it alltogether, same with tscsyncpolicy [ Default | Legacy | Enhanced ]. (because no idea what it does).

16. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    If you keep touching HPET settings and then guessing what you did was right, no one can really help you. Yes, that should be left alone, always.

17. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    It looks like you universally answered all your questions (past and potential future in this topic). :)
    That only matters cosmetically for the human staring at the readout, I think.

18. BlackNova92

BlackNova92 Master Guru

GPU:
    16gb
    yeah i only have disabledynamictick active and useplatformtick for the timers and got rid of the rest.

19. kelzthetraxer

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    Okay, I think I will still post this for those who are running similar or even identical system to mine. Specs:

i7 4790k stock
    Asrock Z97M Pro4 motherboard
    16GB of RAM on 2400 mhz
    Windows 10 1803

Best setting that I've found that got a balance between smoothness and input lag is using command useplatformtick yes and HPET enabled in BIOS. @Smough recommends to leave it on, so I decided to leave it on (although, with it off it wasn't bad at all, but I'm free to follow any advice here). Without useplatformtick command, things feel less smooth, especially in Chrome when scrolling. I have a 75hz monitor and without that command scrolling feels like 60hz, but with it ON, it feels just right, very snappy. ALTHOUGH, it does add input lag quite noticeably, kinda like VSync which gives smoothness but adds input lag, so keep that in mind. Another thing that I use is a small service/program that you can apply with CMD that can help your timer run at 0.5 (0.499 in my case) right from the start and you don't need any program open to force it. Believe it or not, but lower timer DID help with smoothness and input lag as well. I DID NOT expect it and it was a complete surprise. For those who want the link for that service which helps with the timer, you can message me then. I've got it from one of the youtube videos. Now, Disabledynamictick enabled adds HUGE stutters to my system UNLESS I use useplatformclock off, so I just don't use these commands. And that's all.

TL;dr: Using one of the bcdedit commands does makes my system smoother indeed, so it never hurts trying these. I know some people will still check this thread so that's why I decided to write all this.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  20. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    kelzthetraxer likes this.