AMD VEGA Launch Imminent ?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    As you all know, AMD is yet to release the enthusiast SKUs for their graphics card line. The Radeon RX 490 series will be based on a GPU called VEGA 10. We already know that AMD Radeon Technologies G...

AMD VEGA Launch Imminent ?

2. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    AMD + Rushing = I have a bad feeling about this based on my past experience with AMD.

3. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    It's ok as far as nobody hype about it. As soon as people start to hype and expect Nvidia slayer, AMD drops ball.

Just forget about Vega. Don't hype for AMD.

4. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    As long as they don't release a card with a heatsink size of a dice and go "this good yes win"

5. Devilhunter12

Devilhunter12 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti Lightning
    For the sake of AMD please do not hype this.

6. RotatingFan

RotatingFan Guest

GPU:
    corsare
    great

This will be the 2nd new architecture in the last 3 years.
    Polaris and vega both amd
    Great news

7. RotatingFan

RotatingFan Guest

GPU:
    corsare
    hype

The hype wasn't done by amd or their fans.
    Its was actually done by those wanting to hurt the AMD launch by throwing out unrealistic results knowing full well on release it will hurt it.
    I new it as it was happening and those doing it must of been laughing because they new the outcome.
    Pretty idiotic to be honest , Unable to fight clean

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  8. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    not agree, most of the hype were, is, and will be by AMD itself... and the result are always very bad for the product wich is most of the time good.

on top of that there is always fan from both side wich talk and make it grow ("who is better the elephant or the hippo?" "if your hippo is heavy, my elephant is 2 ton heavier" "my hippo have multicolor horn that do music in the dark!!! your 2 ton mean nothing".... kind of that you know:stewpid: lol)

they should really change their com manager now they have correct driver lol.

9. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Can't wait! Wish them all the best. :thumbup:

10. Aniboom

Aniboom Active Member

GPU:
    AMD RX 6950 XT
    Goodies incoming. Atm I am more than happy with the RX480; slapped a AC Turbo 3 on it and works like a charm. Eager to see the new HBM based cards.

11. poornaprakash

poornaprakash Active Member

GPU:
    AMD/Nvidia
    There are two Vegas the bigger Vega 10 and the smaller Vega 11. The rumored Vega launching this year likely to be the smaller Vega 11 which competes with GTX 1080/1070. The big Vega 10 in reply to GP102 Titan X Pascal probably release on Q1 2017 at the earliest.

12. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    I hope it'll be nice! :)

13. Yogi

Yogi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800
    I don't think that AMD have been over-hyping any of their products. The 480 for example, was almost exactly what their official press releases described it as.

The hype seems to come from people making outlandish claims from dubious benchmark and specification leaks.

I can hope that Vega shows up in October (if only to shut up the whiners. So what if there are no competitors for high-end Pascal, it's not the end of the world so deal with it)

But until I read Hilberts review, I will reserve judgment.

14. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    so small gddr5x vega?

15. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I'd find it strange if AMD itself didn't know if they can release a product already this october or only months later in '17. It makes little sense they would have been telling 2017 if they are releasing it already in a couple of months. Some people who didn't want to wait no doubt went for 1070/1080, but they might have waited if it was only october.

16. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    If they hype it, fanboys will come.

17. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    It won't be hbm card for sure.

18. ddelamare

ddelamare Guest

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 1070 X4
    That is exactly why i moved to nVidia this time around.
    Was waiting and waiting and waiting on AMD for something to replace by 2x OC R9 280x's, and a little bit more, and gave up.

I'll see whats on the market from AMD this time next year, maybe they have a better product then. :3eyes:

19. TerminatorUK

TerminatorUK New Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 5970 2GB
    I have to disagree slightly.

AMD already have their own version of DSR called VSR which effectively does the same thing.

AMD cards are showing strong results (currently at least) in DX12 and Vulkan API titles - I realise these are few and far between but the current GCN architecture does seem better suited for asynchronous compute tasks (with Ashes of the Singularity, Hitman and Doom providing some examples) and therefore potentially has better 'future proofing' if games adopt this approach more and more.

I'd personally take that over Gameworks features, PhysX (which tends to be framerate sapping, niche and often poorly implemented) and additional features such as Ansel which I would never use myself.

I think people have been burnt before with AMD products (and not just GPUs - look at Bulldozer on the CPU side for example) not meeting expectations and rather see why the finished product is actually capable of before jumping to conclusions.

I too fell victim to the RX480 hype train that it'd be GTX 980 / Fury levels of performance for $200 even though AMD never stated it would be at that level.

AMD did exactly what the set out to do (and said the high-end was coming later this time around).

The only slight disappoint is that I expected it to use less power than it does (again, we need to remember it is still a big improvement over the previous generation) and the sheer lack of overclocking headroom, even on the 8-pin custom RX480 solutions was frustrating for me.

Still, one can hope that it was a limitation of the Polaris architecture that held back potential overclocking headroom rather than an inherent trait of the Global Foundaries / Samsung 14nm process...

Time will tell anyway - I'm more excited that they are quoting 'Vega' rather than a dual-GPU Polaris board which I would (will?) steer clear of personally - I've lost my faith in multiple GPU solutions at the moment (both SLI and Crossfire).

20. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Vega 11 is big Vega - Vega 10 is small Vega. The numbers swap for Vega.

Max frequency is more related to path optimization then the process. The problem is the best optimization is done by manually, by physical process/design engineers. It's been mentioned before by Anandtech that AMD simply can't afford to hire the people necessary to do that type of work in their CPU division, I'm sure the case is the same with their GPUs.