AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT fan control not working with MSI Afterburner v4.6.2

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by EpsilonsQc, May 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EpsilonsQc

EpsilonsQc Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    Dear guru3D community,

I'm unable to control and monitor the fan speed on my AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT with MSi Afterburner v4.6.2

In MSi Afterburner v4.6.2 Hardware Monitor all I get is this :
    GPU Fan speed, % : 0 (all the time)
    GPU Fan tachometer, RPM : 0 (all the time)

That being said, i'm capable of monitoring and controling the speed of my fan with ASUS GPU Tweak II v2.1.7.1 :
    GPU Fan Speed, % : 29
    GPU Fan Speed, RPM : 900

Driver :
    AMD Radeon Software v20.4.2

My vBIOS switch on the GPU PCB is set to "P" for performance.
    Performance vBIOS mean my fan is always spinning, even at idle on desktop with no 3D app running.

Noteworthy :
    It worked just fine before.

A recent AMD Radeon Software driver release broke the fan control with MSi Afterburner for this specific GPU SKU.

After doing some research and test on my own i've finally found the culprit for fan control issue with MSi Afterburner on AMD GPU.

The issue lie within AMD Radeon Software v20.2.1 released on February 3th, 2020.

Those versions of AMD Radeon Software doesn't work with MSi Afterburner fan control :
    • v20.4.2 (April 23th 2020)
    • v20.4.1 (April 2th 2020)
    • v20.3.1 (March 19th 2020)
    • v20.2.2 (March 5th 2020)
    • v20.2.1 (February 3th 2020)
    Those version of AMD Radeon Software work flawlessly with MSi Afterburner fan control :
    • v20.1.4 (January 27th 2020)
    • v20.1.3 (January 21th 2020)
    • v20.1.2 (January 15th 2020)
    • v20.1.1 (January 10th 2020)
    • v19.12.3 (December 18th 2019)
    • v19.12.2 (December 12th 2019)
    • v19.12.1 (December 2th 2019)
    Either AMD come up with a fix for AMD Radeon Software or guru3D/MSi come up with a fix for MSi Afterburner.
    Else it's never gonna be fixed unless you use old driver version.

Does anyone have any idea how can I fix this? I don't want to use ASUS GPU Tweak II.
    Unfortunatly, ASUS software have always been pure garbage.

I'd really love to be able to monitor, control and define a custom fan curve by using MSi Afterburner !
    Thanks for your reply and have yourself an EPIC day.

Screenshot :
    https://i.imgur.com/WhOhplG.png

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

That’s MSI Afterburner, not ASUS Afterburner.

3. EpsilonsQc

EpsilonsQc Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    And your point is?

I've been using MSi Afterburner with multiples videocard over the past 15 years and it has always served me well.
    You always developed the code to be compatible with all manufacturer (ASUS, Gigabyte, MSi, EVGA, Sapphire, etc) and never limited it only to MSi videocard.

The issue I pointed out regarding fan control on MSI Afterburner affect all AMD 5000-series GPU brand , not just ASUS specifically (maybe with the sole exception of MSI card).

It's an issue that need to be fixed AFAIK.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Get your facts straight or don't post? :p

AMD mayto have changed to using an unshared mutex for fan control, so MSI AB is locked out, they probably think its way to stop the black screens.

5. Unwinder

The point is pretty simple. If it works for reference design and MSI cards and don’t work for some ASUS card - bad luck for you, no expect a “fix” for that from developers side. It is not ASUS branded software and I definitively have more useful tasks to do, sorry.

6. EpsilonsQc

EpsilonsQc Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    It always worked with ASUS card up until AMD Radeon Software v20.2.1 and still work if I install AMD Radeon Software v20.1.4 or older.

You may be the sole developer but clearly are not on the marketing team on this app because they always praised the "work on every brand" approach since the very beginning in 2003 or 2004 if I reckon correctly.

Also i've been using MSi Afterburner with EVGA, Gigabyte, ASUS and Sapphire card over the years and it always worked as expected with no issue whatsoever.

7. Unwinder

Sure. I'm clearly not a developer and have no ideas how it works and how it is supposed to work. Closed, sorry, such discussion is counterproductive.

8. EpsilonsQc

EpsilonsQc Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    Updated the original post to explain more clearly and with more details the Fan control and Fan monitoring issue on MSi Afterburner when using an AMD Radeon RX 5000-series videocard with Radeon Software v20.2.1 or newer.

9. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    They?o_O
    You mean he.

Right, he is not a developer on this app, he is THE (only) developer of this app. :rolleyes:
    You really put your foot in it.

10. EpsilonsQc

EpsilonsQc Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    Maybe check how old my Guru3D Forum account his before assuming I know everything about everyone over here. I created my account less than 48 hours ago and I came here to report a bug.

11. EpsilonsQc

EpsilonsQc Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    Also, he may be the sole and only developer on this app but he clearly his not in charge of the marketing. They always praised this app as being 100% compatible with all brands since the very beginning.

I've also been using it for the past ~15 years and never had a single issue with fan control prior to AMD Radeon Software v20.2.1 released in February 2020.

Quote from the marketing material :
    "and can be used with graphics cards from all brands." :

[​IMG]

12. Unwinder

Once again, we NEVER claimed it to support non reference design solutions from other manufacturers. Stop spreading this false claim. What you say is just NOT true. Stop that. I'll need to close this thread again and it won't be open second time it if this continues. Please do not make me regret that I re-open this thiread once per your request.

13. EpsilonsQc

EpsilonsQc Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    OKAY, if you say so, but this is the information provided in the first paragraph of msi.com/page/afterburner and it's also been used by PC Enthusiast as the defacto Monitoring Tool for the past 10+ years and is known around the globe to be working with all brand. Why would you put setting like "third-party" voltage control if that ain't to support other brand?

Regardless, I reported the issue, hundreds of others thread posted in the past 3 months about this specific issue can be found on Reddit and if you'd care about your very large userbase you'd look into it, i'm confident it's not something that require weeks to fix.

The issue on your hand, it's your code, it's your app. I'm assuming MSi / guru3D is paying you to develop the app at this point since it's simply the best tool that exist to tinker with GPU.

Anyway, I just hope one day you consider fixing it. I'm sorry for the bumpy start we had on tbis thread. I didn't came here with the knowledge of how and by whom the app was being developed.

Have yourself an EPIC day.

14. Unwinder

I gave you fair warning that seeing discussion turned into "MSI should fix it for my ASUS card" will end in thread locking again. Closed, this time forever. It is starting being boring and keeps stealing my work time. No need to PM me on it please.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.