AMD Phenom 9600 Multiplier Unlocked?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by jasonmsw, Dec 19, 2007.

1. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    basically just as keith said. it's only really an issue if you have two video cards. even if you only have one now, but are thinking about going SLI in the near future..... buying an AMD motherboard and CPU, to go along with an NVidia GPU..... would be like shooting yourself in the foot with a 12-gauge.

2. jasonmsw

jasonmsw Member

GPU:
    2xBFG 8800GTS320 @g615/m1730/s1449
    Ahhh. OK thanks guys. I already have a Crosshair Motherboard with an Nvidia chipset and also 2 8800GTS 320's in SLI mode.......

3. jasonmsw

jasonmsw Member

GPU:
    BIOS Help!!!

OK Here a the pics of the overclocking/voltage screens from my bios. Now some of these I can understand, like CPU frequency, CPU Voltage, CPU Multiplier... However I am not sure about much else. I would like a bit of help trying to understand these things if at all possible, so I can try to attempt to overclock my CPU/RAM. Many thanks in advance.

Main Level dor OC'ing
    [​IMG]

CPU Overclocking Page
    [​IMG]

Over Voltage Page
    [​IMG]

DRAM Configuration
    [​IMG]

Advanced Memory Settings
    [​IMG]

DRAM Timing Control
    [​IMG]

Outpu Driver Control
    [​IMG]

4. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    true, yes it can do almost 3ghz or is stable at 3ghz.
    link to Phenom 9600 Black edition test

-OP
    But that's only for black edition, regular 9600 can only do max 2.8ghz or even less.

5. OldGuy932

OldGuy932 Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 3850 / 3870 Crossfire
    I beg your pardon on that comment, my 9600 does 2.9 on air, 2.93 for benching. Its the 9500's that are hard to get over 2.8, mine only went to 2.76. If you want proof of the 9600 up there I'll gladly get a screenie of it, but on hwbot I have benches done at 2.9.

6. InfDaMarvel

InfDaMarvel Guest

GPU:
    HD3850 256mb
    What the performance compared to a Q6600 at 3ghz?

7. keithlm

keithlm Active Member

GPU:
    Powercolor R9 290X LCS
    Do you mean with both processors at 3GHz?

Some benchmarks will be better... others won't be as good.

Historically AMD chips will multi-task and task switch a lot more smoothly. This was due to Intel's method of using a long thin pipe for their cache and going for the processor speed to get the high numbers. Doing this will make ONE task benchmark really nicely... but if you task switch... all the gains will be lost. AMD had a short fat pipe so they didn't have that problem... so for AMD task switching didn't have the same penalty.

Intel has since changed their architecture but who knows how much of the old philosophy still exists in the chips. (You can bet some. Because companies don't change tactics that they know work. Companies know that winning benchmarks sells chips... so you can bet Intel and AMD both do it. But HOW MUCH is the question. Personally I'd be willing to bet that the AMD will still be smoother at task switching while multi-tasking. This is probably one of the advantages to the "real" quad core versus the pseudo quad core. An advantage that you can't really benchmark easily.)

8. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    lol...... fat pipes.

9. keithlm

keithlm Active Member

GPU:
    Powercolor R9 290X LCS
    Well you know... if the internet can be a bunch of tubes...

10. OldGuy932

OldGuy932 Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 3850 / 3870 Crossfire
    If I had a Q6600 I would gladly test for that, but I don't have that much money to waste. I do know that a 9600@3ghz and the QX9650@3ghz are about the same for 3D and gaming with crossfire, there's a thread over on XS that macci and hipro5 were benching against each other with 3870's in crossfire, and then there was something about the 2900xt, but I haven't checked back about that.

11. jasonmsw

jasonmsw Member

GPU:
    Cant seem to OC my phenom in this board(Crosshair) Everytime I try and make a change to the speed and voltage it either doesnt boot up or it gets in and then hangs after about a minute......

12. jasonmsw

jasonmsw Member

GPU:
    This might seem like a silly question..... My Crosshair Mobo has an 8 PIN connector for the CPU but one side of it is covered, My HX620 PSU has an 8 PIN connector, does anybody think it would make a difference if I was to change the current 4 PIN connector to the 8PIN connector? I.E. More power available to the CPU? Or am I talking out of my bum?

13. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    yes use that 8pin connector, if you have it there why not.
    And feed that quad with full power, cuz he's one hungrry beast lol:D, and you might even get a more stable system.

14. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    So why does my AMD board support SLi then?

Nvidia won't release the specs for SLi to other companies (Intel, AMD/ATi & more while AMD shares CF with Intel and who knows also with Nvidia someday).

15. jasonmsw

jasonmsw Member

GPU:
    Keitosha... Think they were on about Chipsets... I.E. AMD chipsets wont support SLI but will support Crossfire, however Mobo's with Nvidia chipstes WILL support SLI etc.....

16. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    Ahhhh in that manner. That way it makes sense, but it's a shame that Nvidia would never (or perhaps in a distant future) share their SLi specs to others. It would be great to have SLi support on Intel/VIA/AMD/others chipsets.

Or better, an universal SLi/CF standard that every gpu manufacturer can use. Or SLi and CF(X) on all chipsets.

Man! What am i dreaming about. :3eyes:

*Too bad i'm having a SLi board. I really wanted to try 2 HD3870's in CF :p*

17. jasonmsw

jasonmsw Member

GPU:
    I spoke to AMD earlier today and told them about the issues I was having, they are going to take my CPU in for "testing" and then get back to me.... This means I will be without a PC for a bit... Does anyone know where I can get a cheap OEM X2 CPU?

18. jasonmsw

jasonmsw Member

GPU:
    AMD Replaced my CPU!

OK I know its been a while since I was on here. But I sent my Phenom back to AMD for a little looksee.... They had it for about a month or so and apparently it came back without any problems.. However I asked them if they would exchange it for a Black Edition. They uhm'ed and Ahh'ed about it but they did eventually give me a Black Edition 9600 :) But guess what??? I am STILL having the same problems with it. I now have the 64bit edition of Vista Ultimate. Any changes I make to the CPU causes Vista to either not boot or blue screen after about 5-10 minutes and I am constantly getting a bluescreen whenever I shut down my PC. BUT I also have a dual boot system, if I make changes and then boot into XP Pro it seems to be fine. no bluescreens no lock-ups and I have had it running at 2.6Ghz quite stable for a couple of days but I have not run any benchmarks yet, so I conclude from this that the issue might well lie with Vista and NOT with the AMD CPU. Any feedback would be interesting.

19. robotman

robotman Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7970 1150/6400(R9280X)
    my black edition max at 2760mhz going to disable the tbl bug and check again,its crap that my board cant change the multi

20. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Jason: you overclocking it? don't think i've EVER been able to get Vista to be stable when overclocking. Hell.... even when stock clocking (by that, i mean setting my memory speed and timings to what they SHOULD be... not what my motherboard automatically sets them to), it's unstable. the only way i get my computer to run Vista stable is by having damn near everything on their default settings.