AMD: NVIDIA PhysX Will Be Irrelevant

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

AMD said they do not consider the lack of PhysX on ATI Radeon graphics card a problem the company believes the PhysX technology will become irrelevant in the future: Advanced Micro Devices the worlds...

More...

2. getsuga12

getsuga12 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX870M
    and so the drama continues

3. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    They are probably right, and I really do hope that DX11 opens up GPU Physics accelleration as an industry standard on ALL GPU's. The whole point of having a PC is open standards, and Nvidia PhysX just goes against all that imo.

4. DF-1

DF-1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA gtx 580
    well, xbitlabs should remember that these companies are for MAKING MONEY, like every other company, they aren't our friends.

they made physx unavailable with ATI because some users want physx and it would make them buy an nvidia card 100% and possibly wait for GT300 instead of HD5800.

nvidia paid for it, offered to help and ati refused so they don't get physx. ati are their competitors and should be treated as such.

I personally do believe that there needs to be a standard for physics.
    Imagine if ATI went ahead and made their own physics system. and then there was another feature both nvidia/ati made separately.

Imagine if intel/amd made "cool features" on processors.

It would be really difficult to make games with cool features because you would have to basically make two games for each graphics card company.

5. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Agreed.

6. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    Yes, but its a bit of a cynical approach to a community that bases itself around open platforms/standards. It would be extremely bad for PC gaming if ATI/Nvidia or any other company decided to keep introducing proprietory standards. It would mean more development costs for game developers, & more problems for gamers. Its the open platform standard that has kept pc gaming alive.

Im not saying I dont like what PhysX offers - I was playing Batman AA on my GTX285 and its the first game that physX makes a noticable difference too - but it needs to be a unified platform that all gamers can benifit from regardless of the hardware in their PC.

7. Kill4L

Kill4L Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Laptop
    Nvidia ftw )

8. Omagana

Omagana Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    End of the day if ATI (and soon Intel) never accept Physx then it'll never take off and just be left behind once an open standard eventually comes out.

9. TeX_UK

TeX_UK Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FE
    Reguardless whats said about PhysX Nvidia wont get rid of it very easily remember they payed an awful lot of money to buy that company not so long ago.

10. Covert

Covert Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD 5770 1000/1300
    the cpu should be doing the physics anyway, its been proven with batman that if you have a dual core you can hack it to run all the physX off of 1 core instead of using a dedicated nvidia card.

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Do we have to keep hearing about the AMD vs Nvidia catfight?

Really it's starting to sound like a soap opera instead of news....

12. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    Any links to the hack... would love to get it running on my i7/5870 setup.

13. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Member

GPU:
    Palit Geforce GTX 275
    The PC gaming community has nothing to do with open standards - DirectX is as propriatory as you are going to get, as is Windows. If the community was serious about open standards we'd all be using Linux, OpenGL and OpenAL.

OpenCL would be a step in the right direction however.

I don't think Physx will be any more irrelevant than Havok will, they'll both find themselves running on OpenCL or DX11's compute shader instead of CUDA eventually.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  14. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    I guess open standards isnt exactly what I meant... my point was that a PC is currently built around a set of standards that are compatible with all hardware...

15. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Can you say fanboy? Bro it's better to be more open minded to technology. Or something may happen to your "favorite" one day, and you will be very very upset. I've used both ATI/Nvidia/3dfx you name it. They all have ups and downs.

But I have to be honest. Open source Physx has a way better chance than Nvidia Physx. The whole OPEN SOURCE part of it just gives it away.

16. Apocalypse~

Apocalypse~ Active Member

GPU:
    --
  17. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Regardless to what happens, it's not going to hurt Nvidia, it hurts the gaming community and ATI.

If they continue to develop games with PhysX, then Nvidia sits back and laughs.
    If you have an ATI card, it doesn't make use of it, hurts gamers, hurts ATI sales because people may not want to buy their products if it takes off.

If for some reason PhysX dies completely, and a new Opensource product comes along like they are trying to bring in, who cares, it's Opensource and Nvidia still use it and still win.

ATI better figure out what the heck to do, and either pull their finger out and work with gamers and developers, or license the damn thing.

18. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    So many replies saying that open standard is better than PhysX and Nvidia is hurting gaming industry because of closed PhysX which cant run on AMD/ATI.

Nvidia offers PhysX support to AMD / ATI

To me it seems that because of some people at AMD/ATI who do not want to take PhysX (for free) and make it as a standard, there is no standard and PhysX keeps going strong. At the same time ATI fanboys cry because their hardware can not run PhysX because of ATI/AMD not wanting it and they (ATI fanboys) blame gaming industry and Nvidia for that.

19. Fri4rTuck

Fri4rTuck Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 580GTX Twin Frozr II
    I don't want PhysX on my ATI cards either. I'm not a fanboy as if the GT300 is faster than the 5870, I'll be buying it. I'm just waiting for the release to make my decision. I always bounce back and forth between red and green teams. However, when I'm running ATI I still don't want PhysX. I don't want something that one of the two are in complete control of. I'd rather have both completely support the DirectX and OpenGL models and DirectX 11 will have a method of doing physics. May the best cards win for their designs and efficiencies and not marketing gimmicks.

20. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    this.