AMD now sells bikes - nope, no joke

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 7, 2020.

1. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    CSGO and AWP Asiimov comes to mind.

2. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    The pencil says [ATI] Lethal Graphics Lethal Gaming

Venix likes this.
  3. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    So stub people with a pencil ! Sounds like a fantastic game !

4. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    nope, nope, nope....

5. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    Someone didn't get the memo.

Goiur likes this.
  6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    requesting thread title change from bikes to death traps.

7. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Yeah I saw the review of this and GN is 100% correct. These bikes shouldn't be sold to anyone. For it is intended use as a mountain bike it is not safe at all. First and foremost the brakes on that Bike suck. It is like having worn out brakes on a car to the point you have trouble stopping from a high rate of speed on top of the other problems the bike has.

8. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    That could limit how fast it will go!

9. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Hopefully Zen 3 and RDNA 2 will sell well.

Should help ponying up damages for Mass Murder and Attempted Mass Murder class action suite.

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Hard to stay in shape with a bike that's assembled from junk parts.

Well....it's manufactured by Kent International. You'd be lucky if it wasn't broke before you received it.

Except that it is a piece of junk....and AMD was selling it for more than double the actual retail price....
    https://kent.bike/collections/mountain/products/29-kent-flexor-1
    There's the original bike..... You can find the same bike with several different color schemes and brandings at stores like Walmart and Target for $100-150
    Ex-wife and I bought a pair of these bikes around 8-10 years ago for under $200 at Walmart.....

Well, Kent has been selling this same bike for at least 2 decades under various brands..... I actually stopped watching the "review" right after the unboxing when I saw the "Kent" logo on the box. I didn't need to see anything beyond that point to know how things were going to go. I have enough first hand experience with Kent bicycles to know they're complete garbage. I'm actually surprised that Steve survived....

Fender178 likes this.

11. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Yeah. Steve did mention similar bikes being sold at Walmart just like you mentioned. Also I remember my Sister's bike that she got from Walmart looked and functioned better than that crappy bike that Steve road. I am also amazed that Steve didn't get hurt or anyone else for that matter that bought similar bikes to those.

12. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    But it's AMD, they always over-engineer.

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Not just similar bikes. The "AMD MTB" is literally a repainted Kent Flexor with AMD stickers on it. The Kent Flexor sells for $148 at Walmart.... https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kent-29-Flexor-Men-s-Dual-Suspension-Mountain-Bike-Blue/881210303

AMD Mountain Bike
    [​IMG]

Kent Flexor
    [​IMG]

Fender178 likes this.
  14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The part the middle shock attaches to isn't the same between those two bikes. So it's not just repainted. That being said it's very similar and Steve's review of it clearly paints it as a really, really, poorly designed bike.

15. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Being overpriced doesn't make it junk. Reminds me of Beats by Dre, which is the same idea - headphones that aren't bad but nothing special, and have a hiked up price because of branding.

fantaskarsef likes this.

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    He didn't say it was junk because it was overpriced. He said it was junk because of the reasons GN listed. He said it was overpriced because you said "it's not a bad price" but in reality its double the price of identical models.

17. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    True in some cases but in this case Steve and GN said the bike was junk due to design flaws etc. Also if look at @sykozis post to me you are paying for the AMD marketing.

Seriously WTF is AMD trying to pull here? This is a lawsuit waiting to happen. Also those AMD stickers look to be at premium quality since you are playing $150 bucks extra for those. Anybody who knows bikes would see right through this and tell you to stay far away from these bikes and spend the money on a quality bike either brand new or 2nd hand.

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The price doesn't make it junk. The bike is junk at any price. I used to love cycling. After owning 5 different Kent bicycles over the years and having nothing but problems with them, I've given up. Had the bicycle been manufactured by say, Huffy....it would have had far fewer problems. Kent is just incapable of building a quality bicycle......

There are some minor differences due to "size". It is the same "platform" though.

You're right, it's not just a repaint. The Flexor is a 29" bike, the AMD MTB is a 27" bike and below are a pair of 26" bikes. Kent is good at making different sized bikes using the same general (crap) design.

Kent Men's Northwood Z265
    [​IMG]

Kent Men's Shogun Rock Mountain
    [​IMG]