AMD Gives Pointers On How to Improve Ryzen 1080p game performance

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I'd be very surprised if the memory situation didn't get better.

When I built this Skylake PC, I initially got a set of 4 dimm modules for 16GB (4x4) because the store had run out of 2x8. My PC wouldn't post with all four DIMMs in. I took 2 out, leaving 8 gigs in total. I ran a mem test just for laughs getting massive errors. I gave up.

However, the store got more 2x8 sooner than I expected, and they switched my 4x4 to one of those (that's what we agreed when I bought the parts). Using that 2x8 set, I installed both. The PC didn't post. I only left one in, it finally posted, and mem test was good. I updated the bios, installed the other DIMM as well, and got good mem test result.

That's with Intel's nth generation of i cores and chipsets. If the situation with Ryzen mem doesn't get better, then there's something seriously wrong, but for now troubles are only normal, as funny as it sounds.

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Obviously you didn't read my post, I stated why I compared it to the 7700K.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. I just went with prices I quickly checked online, and a reasonable Z270 board can be bought for 200€ for me. I know stuff is more expansive for many, I just did a quick comparison for me as-is, as if I'd ordere either right now.

I completely agree. There's so many option out there in the price range compared to a top end 1800X system that it might be subjectively cheap, but it depends on what you plan on using it.

3. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Very true. I forgot there chips with more than 8gb with the release of DDR4 memory. Since there are some users out there with 64Gb of memory.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  4. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    Yes, I obviously do not read biased & absurd texts whose only purpose is to smack talk an awesome product.

I just added that line as it - being a 8C/16T - MAINLY compares to the 6900K we surely wanna include all pricings here :)

So the 7700K has a ~20FPS advantage in some 1080p games.
    The 6900K and the 1800X perform basically equal in 1080p games.

The 1800X beats the 6900K and the 7700K in all video- / productivity- / workstation- / day to day desktop workloads. (Where it beats the 7700K by far!)

6900K costs 1000$ + MoBo, 1800X costs 500$ + MoBo
    -> This INVALIDATES the 6900K

While the 7700K doesn't invalidate the 1800K because ITS ONLY advantage is 1080P gaming.

And you are trying to stomp on it the moment you started talking about it and remind us about pink glasses? Get over it.

And by the way...
    Gaming with Ryzen 1800X vs 7700K with Affinity set to one CCX:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HJJfTeYeqM

Nothing more to say really...

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    This is highly arguable. The 7700K beats the 1800x in a ton of productivity/day to day workloads, so I don't know how you can say "all"..

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11170...review-a-deep-dive-on-1800x-1700x-and-1700/17
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/11170...review-a-deep-dive-on-1800x-1700x-and-1700/19
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/11170...review-a-deep-dive-on-1800x-1700x-and-1700/21

And yeah, it's ~20fps faster in some games at the most popular gaming resolution, and it's cheaper and the platform doesn't currently suffer from a ton of weird issues.

Obviously there are cases where the 1800x is good - video rendering is a big one. And I can definitely see the argument for 3-4 years in the future, where 8 cores will most likely be the standard and all games will make use of it. But if I was a 1080p gamer on a budget, I'd definitely go with the 7700K over the 1800x or even the 1700x, Especially now when I can find them for sub $300 ($299 at Microcenter). There just isn't enough tasks that the 1800x is good at that makes it worth the additional money for your typical user.

Compared to the 6900K though, I agree.. it's definitely the better purchase. It's like 95% of the performance for 50% of the cost and the type of people buying a 6900K are going to make better use of the 8/16T strengths anyway.

6. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Now this is interesting. Can this be done in BIOS so one could save a WS BIOS and a gaming BIOS profile. Also would a higher OC be achievable running just one CCX?

7. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    Well you can always do it either with core parking tools.

Or with any process explorer and set the global affinity after startup of your OS.

I think booting into BIOS and changing it, then only to restart again, is a bit time costly?

But maybe the "Core Leveling Mode" is what you would be looking for then:
    https://gzhls.at/blob/ldb/c/6/d/6/e371118ef97b48578bbf703424dcd5fd9902.pdf

Easiest way still is to just set affinity to one CCX after Windows startup.

Here is two videos that explains that Ryzen on one CCX reaches game performance of 7700K:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue1lEER4vgQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HJJfTeYeqM

8. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I think the issue Ryzen has right now over anything, is cost. Newly binned cores, first revision on the market of this series, the cost is going to be a little high until they can get some market share or at least sell enough to bring costs down.

9. ender79

ender79 Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 970 ~ 1455 Mhz
    If you are a gamer I don't know why you will go for R7 1800x and GTX 1080Ti or GTX Titan. If you have already a system around an i7 , just upgrade your video card.

But for casual gamers.... to build a new system , I will go for R7 1700+mobo B350 + 1060Ti/RX 480 when Ryzen won't be the bottleneck

10. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    I looked into dirt rally last night and that comes with configurations from 1 to an 8 core cpu.
    I have an I 7 so I sent all apart from the 8 to the recycle bin and the game would not launch.
    But it launched on all up to 4 core.
    So I have sent all but 4 core to the recycle bin.
    TY for that tip AMD.

11. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Then I obviously shouldn't read half of the guru forum here, AMD guys are constantly going against anything not wearing a red sticker.

You are right about that then. Weird that in many other threads the 1800X was compared to the 7700K because of pricing, the better bang for the buck.

I can honestly agree to that. Was not even my point in the above post, read again, I was answering to the claim that finally budget desktop use for the average guy is suddenly so cheap.

News flash: not everybody does video transcoding. Most people don't do that. Most people game at 1080p. So yeah, the 7700K invalidates the 1800X for anybody gaming only. Gaming only, and that's what most people do.

I'm certainly not the one to wear pink glasses as I at least don't say that anything is always better than AMD. Also I admit that only at 1080p gaming there's a difference, I never said that above it's an issue. I even stated that what AMD suggests to bring the performance to what the CPU is capable of is not too much to ask (read above).

Or read the thread in regards to hexacores, where I praised the performance and price without a word against them as an excellent bundle.

But thanks for your PM, I won't post in this thread again, or any other AMD one. I just wish that AMD fanboys keep their noses out of Nvidia / Intel threads because the rubbish they post with single line comments isn't bringing anything else to the discussion. I at least brought arguments which you may or may not see valid, but there's a point I'm trying to make.

12. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    So you buy 8/16 monster in order to run 4 cores, REALLY?
    And even then it gets spanked. With 7700k underclocked to 4GHz(!).

Furthermore all these benchies are with fairly friendly choice of relatively modern games.
    Zen would do much much worse if one would include older, but still very relevant games like STALKER, WoW, ARMA.
    Well anything legacy really.

And its not just good old games.
    You can imagine what happens with ordinary folks, indie devs and those games/engines that are still struggling with multi-threading,
    when even AMD/MS are still in Zen learning phase.

Yes, Zen should get better as the time goes on, but you can bet your ass that certain upcoming games, especially non-AAA, will underperform on Zen.
    And then what?
    The fact that certain game is badly coded, is no comfort while I'm FPS-tanking.
    This is reality - I'm not trying to be a dick.

13. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    I buy a 8/16 monster to do productivity workloads.

If I want to game as well, I set affinity for game executables for 4 cores to have around 7700 performance if I should chose to play 1080p. Which I personally don't but others may like to play 1080p.

So what now? Is it forbidden to configure my affinity on my Ryzen to get 7700K gaming performance and extremely good workstation / multithread performance at the same time? No.

That way, I dont need a 7700K rig for gaming and a 6900K rig for productivity workloads, because I can do all on one machine comfortably.

14. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    Why make a "separated teams" thing out of this again? There is no reason to be aggrieved.
    We are all in the same boat.
    We all need to acknowledge Intel when they put out strong hardware.
    But we also need to acknowledge AMD when they do.
    And some people just constantly bash a great piece of hardware in these AMD Ryzen threads, for whatever reason.
    They bash when Intel has the upper hand. And they continue to bash when AMD brings out a product that beats comparable Intel products. Absurd?!?!?
    That's why I counter-argue.

15. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Check your own benchmarks. You're not getting 7700k performance. Not even on friendly choice of games. Not even with 7700k undrclocked to 4GHz.

I for one would be mad as hell to upgrade to 8/16 monster and get awarded with stuttering in STALKER.

16. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    I game in 1440p
    And even if I gamed @ 1080p ... For some games an unnoticable smaller performance in games (considering I use affinity configuration) I always get a better all-round CPU to work with outside of games for the money.

17. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Did you see that ARMA benchmark?
    Zen is totally unplayable. While several years old 3570k is almost fine.

No, it wouldn't get better on 1440p, just because its unplayable on 1080p
    30 fps on 1080p does not become 55fps when switching to 1440p.

18. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    Its OK, dont put too much effort in all this.

The point is. I can acknowledge when Intel produces a great product.
    And I can acknowledge when AMD produces a great product.

Other people... just ... simply can't. It must be a personality thing. It's ok.
    Everyone is entitled to his own views.

19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    What a weird idea. If you want to disable one CCX, just use:
    msconfig > Boot > Advanced options... > Number of Processors

20. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Excise my ignorance but don't most rendering programs use gpu acceleration anyway? Which will be a lot faster than any CPU?