AMD based Xbox Series X could have 3584 shader processors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    its not linear.

2. Andy Watson

Andy Watson Master Guru

GPU:
    One thing's for certain both consoles are going to be a great leap for people who just play on consoles, the current generation has actually lasted pretty well on the visuals as the software teams learned to eek out the last drop of their graphics computing power whilst keeping fps up. But the trailers for both these machines will probably impress a lot of folk. It will be fun to see how the developers can use all this new power.

I'm a mouse and keyboard man since Doom, at 51 I'm too old to use a controller proficiently, WASD keys on the left hand, buttons on the right hand. Amen. But I'm looking forward to seeing how cool this sector of the market will be next year.

3. Andy Watson

Andy Watson Master Guru

GPU:
    In the past it has been, from time to time, depending on the full pipeline specs. Why do you say this will not be linear?

4. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    what's a jensen? and of course a 1000$ graphics card is going to be "faster" than a 600$ (maybe) console.

5. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    Well console had nice HW before, but OS was bad.. now with x86 architecture all could be nice from the start.. Because best console would be always pc, its shame that more open Steam machines had always half-ass launch and support..

6. m4dn355

m4dn355 Master Guru

GPU:
    Guru3D 2080 Super H
    As long as it is running w/o a cpu it is faster :D

7. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I am kinda in the same bracket - I am considering giving this round a miss. I got my PS4 Pr0, seems to be working really well, and with SSD inside from my friends at Crucial...I think I am happy right now.

The PS4 back catalogue gets cheaper every day...no need to move on just yet, also, I actually like the look of the PS4 Pr0 under my telly...more than I think I would like an xboner.

Don't think I'll ever buy a console from Microsoft...they are not a manufacturer, for one thing.

8. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Except it won't work like that. You'll see console gamers laughing at all PC gamers, including those who buy AMD cards.

Anyway, I think MS and Sony might be more willing to sell their next consoles for a higher price, due to the time it'll take for games to really make use of the hardware and build-up market-share. Imho, from £500 upwards is to be expected for what you're getting.

9. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    And don't forget that a console is locked hardware that can be coded closest to the metal as possible.

Ther will be more power than said if the specs are truly true.

I'm excited for this launch especially since it will push PC hardware at the same time for developers.

Fediuld likes this.

10. Mikeztm

Mikeztm Member

GPU:
    HD7870XT
    Xbox 360's Tri Core PowerPC CPU and R500 GPU was way faster than Pentium 4 and Radeon X800.
    Playstation 1's GPU was also way faster than software 3D graphics on PC from 90s.

Consoles were launched at better specs than best PC back in the days. Just for this generation PS4 and Xbox One are exceptions.

11. shaders999

shaders999 Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    No one going to point out 5700 XT has 40 CU's & performance doesn't scale linear with more CU's?

12. maroon1

maroon1 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia/8800GTS/320MB
  13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Kind of hard to say if that's true or not. That entire part of the presentation was about Max-Q graphics. The Lenovo Y740 pictured in the slide ships with a Max-Q variant of the 2080, not a regular 2080. Jens didn't say anything about the console part at all during the speech IIRC. When I watched it, I personally thought they were trying to convey that the Max-Q 2080 is faster than next gen consoles.

If they are really trying to say that next gen consoles will be less than a regular 2080 then this slide during the Max Q part of the presentation, with a laptop featuring a Max-Q GPU is arguably the worst way to communicate that.

Undying likes this.
  14. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    How is it possible this will be much better faster than old 5700xt and 2070 but slower than 2080?

Jensen knows a lot about technology it seems. His career just works for many decades. Lmao dead!

15. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Jensen and Nvidia fanboys brain is not linear either. You realize we are talking a lil different arch, revised rdna 2.0 vs 1.0 right? Green apples aren't the same with red ones, even with rtx on.

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I mean its possible that this isn't the GPU inside the consoles..

Also I get that it's fun to rag on Jens but the guy does have a masters in electrical engineering, worked as a project director at LSI and a designer at AMD then went to start an extremely successful semiconductor company. So yeah, he probably knows a bit about technology.

yasamoka and warlord like this.
  17. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I could honestly see them doing something like this. I expect there to be at least 3 different models such as Base, Enhanced, and Extreme editions or something like that.

18. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Everyone should keep in mind, the word. "Bottleneck".

If Xbox One series had a Ryzen refresh for example, its custom GPU could easily rival RX590/GTX1660.

New generation will have a much superior blending hardware wise, plus better OS version / stability points out of the box, without bottleneck-ing restrictions.

Undying likes this.
  19. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    so AMD didn't release a 2080 ti level GPU just so the new consoles can look powerful ?!