AMD and NVIDIA AIB GPU Market Share from 2002 to 2016

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 24, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. BlueRay

BlueRay Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    This looks bad for AMD but I'm not surprised. They lack in the performance and mid range areas. Nvidia offers better cards for those segments. AMD's share shrinks year by year. They need to release something that can truly compete with Nvidia's offering.

3. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    Even if they do Nvidia will still sell more. I know people that even if AMD performs 2x the performance will still buy Nvidia. I'm no fanboy and will buy what ever is better.

4. Dburgo

Dburgo Guest

Interestingly, I think console sales seem to be where AMD went for the time being. I am sure the money comes back to us in technology as we(pc add in buyers) are the forefronting testbed of gpu ability.

5. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    and the price too AMD are more expensive in most demanding GPU (low and middle class)... for the same price what would you buy? a GTX1050Ti or a RX460? when AMD would solve this aberation then it might goes up again...

the AMD GPU are really cool and now that they solved issue with driver it is the only thing that keep the balloon on ground.

6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I find it interesting that each time AMD's market share was high, I had one of the series (or even two), like with the X800 and the 5000 generation.

In regards to what AMD would have to do to earn back market share, simply beat Nvidia. They've done it in the past, but as long as there's people like me that want to pay a bit more for premium performance, there's usually only one way to go if you want the fastest single GPU card. That's the ugly truth.

Even with the rumors of the 490 outperforming the 1080, if it's a dualGPU card, it's worthless, we all have seen how mGPU is on it's decline. I've made the wrong decision with the 980 SLI already once, why should I switch over to do it again just to go with AMD and still stick to their inferior dx11 driver because dx12 does not have mGPU support currently? The situation is quite easy to look at it, only Vega can actually help, but has to compete with Pascal refresh, and then again, if Nvidia outperforms them it's again a budget choice.

Can I imagine myself buying AMD again? Yes. Does it look like it will happen soon? Not at all. Just my point of view.

7. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    I would have no issue buying an AMD card. In the past that's what I was buying, until I went from a Radeon HD4870 to a GTX 560 Ti.

However, every time I'm about to buy a new GPU, it's always the same story. I see an AMD card with a good price, but there's always this happening: "for just a very few couple of bucks more, I can get this faster NVidia card instead."

I don't know if it's just me, but the reverse hasn't happened for many years now. There wasn't a case where "this Nvidia card looks good, but for just a tiny little more cash I can get this faster AMD one."

So I always end up buying nvidia :-/

The above excludes my latest buy, where I just went "I'll get the fastest card available right now", which at the time was the 980 Ti. But previously, I was looking a lot at the not-quite-enthusiast-highest-end cards with better price/performance ratios, and nvidia always seemed better there. Always "just a little bit more money for this better nvidia card."

AMD might have had better success if they managed to produce cards that are slightly faster then the "equivalent" nvidia model while being only a tad more expensive, rather than producing slightly slower cards and being slightly cheaper. I don't think it's about AMD's lack of performance when it comes to the "enthusiast" level cards (like lack of competition for the 980 Ti previously, and 1080 currently.) I believe it's their positioning in the upper-range and mid-range that hurts them.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  8. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yeah that reads awefully familiar :D

9. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Hmm, but the numbers from early 2000s shouldn't be attributed to AMD? I mean, wasn't ATi standalone? Or was it sort of under AMD's wing so to speak until they bought them out completely? Either way, I remember the 9600/700/800Pro/XT ripping nvidia's FX cards a new one back then. Those were the days, ATi's days that is.

10. robintson

robintson Guest

GPU:
    Asus_Strix2080Ti_OC
    Completely agree with you on all you wrote about AMD and Nvidia graphics cards.
    AMD just needs to "beat" Nvidia not in price point only, but in performance, TDP, heat, Driver Latency and in overall Driver quality.
    I agree that they are getting better with the Drivers lately, but there is still a lot of room for improvement if they want to catch up with Nvidia in Drivers.
    They've beat Nvidia in the past and all the world is waiting for them to beat Nvidia again. The question is when and if it will ever happen again?

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Market share can change very fast. Another FX series from Nvidia and that graph can look alot different. Remember, its not over until its over.

12. Crazy Serb

Crazy Serb Master Guru

GPU:
    270X Hawk 1200-1302
    Even if they offer same product as competition at half prize, I dont think that I will buy anything with AMD sticker again. While I moved in the past almost every time with GPUs, Im looking forward to my 1st intel CPU after P2 450MHz. If this phenom 2 manages to endure my needs, it would be nice to wait for coffee lake, because it would be like waking up with a cup of coffee :D

edit: I am not sure how do you expect from AMD to catch up with nV drivers if they cant fix 1st gen GCN stuck in UVD clock "feature" after almost 4 months

13. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    The only real issue I know of with AMD drivers is that they've been behind on performance improvements (as evidenced by older series cards eventually outperforming nVidia cards that had the lead).

People have been making similar comments about Zen. Only a fool wouldn't take same or better performance at half the price :3eyes:

14. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    Good to see Lisa Sue is doing a good job at AMD. Looking at the chart AMD is going up over the past year and Nvidia is going down over the same period. I see great things coming for AMD with their new Zen and RX 490 GPU's coming out very soon.

15. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    How can anyone be surprised? AMD sat on the 200 series for about 70 million years and rebadged it as the 300 series, it's been around long enough to have seen the dinosaurs. And even now, there is no competition against what nVidia offers until AMD decide they've lost enough investors and release Vega in whatever shape it may be.

16. Daftshadow

Daftshadow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080
    It's scary thinking about where this trend is going. For such a huge technology industry, there are only two major players and it is totally skewed towards one of them.

17. shiokarai

shiokarai Guest

GPU:
    3 x Titan X Pascal
    When you don't have your product in the particular (well... almost every) market segment then no wonder this looks like this. What's strange, AMD is big enough company to compete & win with nvidia in GPU market.. but it don't want to?

18. WareTernal

WareTernal Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 7800 XT
    Actually, crossfire DOES work in DX12. Try Total War or AOTS. DX12 games need explicit support for multi GPU setups, it's not the driver's fault....

19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    not shocking in the lest

20. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    100X.

You would not believe the amount of fanboys and fud spread around about AMD and not being good GPUs.

It was a funny time when the X1900XTX was kicking the piss out of the 7900GTX and nvidia could not do SM3.0 with HDR in 95% of games, and yet tons and tons of people of people were dissing the piss out of the X1900XTX.

Hell it was the same when HD 5XXX cards launched, they were impressive come back for AMD, and yet didnt get they respect it deserved. Not even when the HD 79XX launched and still went toe to toe with GTX 6XX series that launched later.

Everything is always so anti AMD everywhere its not even funny.
    I personally use AMD/Intel, AMD/Nvidia and DESPISE fanboys and blind brand loyalty too.