Aliens vs Predator (2010)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by MetalFox, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Dahzeal33

Dahzeal33 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x eVGA GTX 275 SLI
    I know, I just had to watch Aliens last night.

As old as it is, it's STILL the best scifi movie I've EVER seen. Also counts as one of the few sequals that owned the original.

2. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    I loved the original game. Hope it's better then the movies. :)

3. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    AVP1 and AVP2 are exactly like the movies in terms of quality i think. AVP2 was more interesting storywise and well done. Better characters etc.

Shame they never built an official coop mode into it, ALIENS is perfect for coop games.

4. tmsmith

tmsmith Member Guru

GPU:
    2x VisionTek HD 4870 512M
    Looks like ALIENS is being reborn again with a prequel!

With the same director, lets hope Ridley Scott does the same thing he did with the first one.

IGN Video

5. ])rStrangelove

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    Thank god, finally somebody who knows what he's doing. Ridley will win back lost ground there, no doubt.

And i guess 'Prequel' means we won't see Sigourney Weaver cause it could be hard to make her look as young as she was back then. I wonder if her role is featured in the movie at all tbh.

Maybe we get to know what happened to the Giants now and where they came from. Could turn out to be very interesting.

6. Dahzeal33

Dahzeal33 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x eVGA GTX 275 SLI
    I know, in that first movie, when they went in to that derelict ship... That was totally my favorite part. I'd love to see more about those guys.

7. metaltoiletry

metaltoiletry Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD5870
    That would be great! I just hope that Colin and Greg Strause stop trying to add to the Alien/Predetor universe, god their movies suck.

8. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
  9. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    Those games terrified me so much I was barely able to play them for more than ten minutes. I once played Marine with the lights out, the blipping nearly made my heart stop, I was so scared my chest hurt.

I still have AVP I and II and I'm I'm looking forward to this, even if I don't play it I'll definitely add it to my collection.

10. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,...w-Aliens-Trailer-of-the-DirectX-11-game/News/

Graphics trailer, supposedly DX11.
    (AMD is hyping the game a bit as part of their DX11 promotion along with titles like the upcoming Dirt 2 and Call of Pripyat and the recent Battleforge update.)

EDIT: That said DX11 in these first early games is primarily optimization work and some minor extras like hardware tesselation (It's a major feature of DX11 but it doesn't look all that different.) so it doesn't look all that different, later on programmable shader stuff and direct compute will make more advanced features a bit easier from what I've read.

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,...oP-Dirt-2-Unigine-and-Alien-vs-Predator/News/

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009

11. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    cant wait :)

12. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    hardware tessellation isnt going to jump out at anybody visually until dx11 really gets rolling and games are coded to support it properly (like in conjunction with height maps). that being said, it doesnt actually create any unique effect...unlike, say, dx9 water/smoke effects (basically nonexistent/superficial) vs dx10 water/smoke with soft particles and realistic trail effects after running through water/cloud, etc. it does however generate additional geometry within the constraints of whats already been rendered. before this, you had to increase the poly count of a model to get rid of pointy heads or blocky hands. this eats up system resources. tessellation takes the existing polygons and divides them into subsections, giving the model the appearance of a much higher poly object and making sharp edges disappear. its an optimization technique when it comes down to it, just an efficient answer to the out of control polygon count for high res next gen models.

sry for OT, this game looks great and that trailer makes me want to stay far away from the marine class :D

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  13. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    never played the origingal but it sounds cool

14. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
  15. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Man, they present like its something SUPER. I am not sure if decent player will notice the difference while in action. i men DX10 is good enough ..even DX9..Look at CRYSIS in DX9. lol it is still UBER. DX10 CRYSIS is UBERSOME. and nothing can beat it. apply DX11 to CRYSIS and lets see what DX11 capable of .

16. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    imo looks great especially when they apply tessellation on characters it looks the best i've seen so far, dunno what do you want, its no Crysis either and never was.

17. ])rStrangelove

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    I dunno about you guys but when i'm getting attacked by dark aliens in a dark corridor i couldn't care less about how many polys they have lol. DX10 was a hype, DX11 is the next one.

The last game that forced me to buy new technology was Rebel Assault. Sure, it was fun back then, but nowadays games are not worth switching your tech or OS imo.

18. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
  19. PuddingWagon

PuddingWagon Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670
  20. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    lol, pcgameshardware linked to my video of AVP on YouTube, which YouTube ruins for some reason, the one on the AMD my space is better.

PuddingWagon, that sucks, why are they getting so strict down your way?