AA & AF issues, Sapphire 4870HD

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Sander H, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Sander H

Sander H New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 6950HD Dual Fan
    I've been using my 4870HD for over half a year now, always on max quality in Ati CCC (8xAA and 16xAF).

Without a change in software, hardware or (driver) settings I suddenly have quite some jaggies with 8xaa and 16xaf. Thought I accidently switched a setting, but couldn't find anything wrong. A few days ago it was all fine, and now without a reason some settings don't seem to have effect anymore.

I switched back to default settings and put everything back manually to my likings (max, hehe) but nothing changed.

I uninstalled the display driver + Ati CCC, used both driver cleaner pro and driver sweeper, downloaded and installed DD + CCC again, but it's still not what is used to be..

Next thing that came up in my mind was to try Ati Tray Tools, but it didn't change anything. I also downloaded the latest directx again but this didn't work too. I'm using CCC 9.2, and didn't had any issues with it until yesterday.

Does anyone has an idea what's going on?

Ps; it's not that the AA and AF are disabled completely, if I do that it looks way worse. It's just that the max settings don't seem to be max anymore. I mainly play racing sims, and it's the same in every sim.

I hope someone can help me out.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  2. Sander H

Sander H New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 6950HD Dual Fan
    I uninstalled 9.2 again and gave 9.1 a try, but no luck.

Then I did some more exploring and testing:

First I turned off AA completely, booted Race07, started a session -> looked as it should, many jaggies ofcourse.

I quitted, set the AA to 2x, booted Race07 again, started the session again -> looked better

I exit again, set the AA to 4x, booted Race07 again and started the session -> Looked the same as 2x.. hm strange.

Exit again, set AA to 8x, booted again -> still looked the same as 2x

I did this with 12x, 16x and 24x but it all looked the same as 2x.

Edit: forgot to say that my FPS do decrease the more AA I set.

3. HaZe303

HaZe303 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Maybe the game (Race 07) just cant handle more than 2xAA or some bug with the game and ATI drivers?? Hard to say, have you tried ATT (ati tray tools)to force whatever AA you want on the game??

4. Sander H

Sander H New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 6950HD Dual Fan
    Well, I have played it for almost 1 year with 4xaa (8800gt) and now the past 6 months with 8xaa (4870), never had any problems.

The first week after installing 9.2 was also fine without any problem.

Yes, no luck either..

It's in every game I try.

5. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    Do you have any screenshots from when the AA was good? I don't mean to second guess you but it happens to me often...sometimes I just don't notice how it looked until I notice, if you know what I mean. I'll just sit down one day and say "Wow, that looks bad" but looking at screenshots, that's just how it's always looked and I never noticed.

If you didn't change anything, there isn't any reason it should look any different.

You sure you didn't enable in-game AA instead? Because CCC will defer to in-game AA most of the time.

6. bokah

bokah Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    this used to happen when alt tabbed to desktop
    race 07 settings might been reverted too and u need to set best quality in game now to get aa

procedure i used with lfs after alt tab: set windowed, set 8xaa(had 16 as best for 4870x2), set 8xaf, go full screen, alt tab, set max settings, alt tab

and there i had max settings again

i used this untill i got pissed and set in game settings to max and left it as is
    not really sure if "forced" works if there is no aa set in game or if its just a bug that somehow disables forcing

to get clean settings with reinstalling drivers u need to check if hidden folder with profile.xml and some other files are deleted

7. sutyi

sutyi Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 660 OC 2GB
    Do you set the AA level with the RACE07 config or you're trying to force it?

8. Sander H

Sander H New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 6950HD Dual Fan
    I set the AA level in the drivers, and let the AA in the config disabled. I tried to set the AA in config and disabled the drivers one, but it didn't change anything.

9. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12gb
    I use application settings for both AA and AF. Sometimes, forcing settings via CCC will only make things worse.

10. Sander H

Sander H New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 6950HD Dual Fan
    I've been forcing AA & AF for half a year now, never had any problems. As said before I also tried to set it through the game's settings and check the application controlled setting in CCC, but no luck.

Think I'm just gonna format in a few days.

11. RandomBloke

RandomBloke Banned

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Ti 3GB
    Similar problems with me

Hi,

I've got a 4870 too with Catalyst 9.2. AA and AF are working for me in some games, but not others.

In particular, I've not been able to force AA and AF in Rise of the Argonauts. I know it doesn't support in-game AA/AF, but I thought I'd probably be able to force it through Catalyst. Not working though, even when messing with the .ini file. Given what people are saying in this forum, could the problem actually be a driver issue, and not the game's fault?

This is a thread I've started in the games section:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=289980

12. TStetson227

TStetson227 Member

GPU:
    PC 4870 1gb / Samsung 24"
    I had the same problem too with the 9.1 and 9.2 drivers. I mainly run racing sims and madden, I tried everything as u did. I went back to 8.12, *POOF* everything looks great again. I think its something with the driver builds themselves since 8.12's fixed everything!

TStetson

13. Sander H

Sander H New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 6950HD Dual Fan
    I wil try 8.12, problem is I can't find the 8.12 drivers anymore. I did find the Catalyst 8.12 here at Guru3d but not the display driver and hotfix.

Edit: Just found them at Softpedia, will report back.

Edit 2: installed them, but no difference unfortunately.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009