** A64 Overclocking Guide **

Discussion in 'Links' started by THunDA, May 31, 2005.

1. FaM

FaM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2GB GTX 560
    If anyone wants to help (I dont want to start a new thread)

I have a 3500 venice and thermaltake blue orb 2 (120mm) cpu fan
    I also have a gigabyte GA-K8U-939 which I hear isnt a great OC'r.
    I also have 3 sticks of 512 3200 (all same construction but diff brands, value corsair, kingston, pny) which I wouldnt think will OC very well at all.
    Do i have any hope?
    Can i oc the cpu without OCing the ram\ or any voltages at all.
    Im kind of a 64 bit nub (i had my 2800xp @ 3800 stable before I bought this system) so your thoughts are always welcome.

2. PuffPuffPass

PuffPuffPass New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 6600GT 128 MB
    WOW Thunda you are the MAN... I chose liquid cooling for my OC I Like some others have no option on multiplier change, just fsb, I'm Running a 3000 at 2.2 with a fsb of 220 seems to be stable at around 28-32c at rest going as high as 45c during BF2 I run around 17000 on 2k1 with a 6600 gt 128, Good Or can i get more?

3. Dick_Biggles

Dick_Biggles Active Member

GPU:
    BFG GeForce 6800 128mb
    More, I'm running a 25% OC with stock cooling, never breaks 45c, my value select corsair is whats holdin' me back

Last edited: Mar 12, 2006
  4. corruptinflames

corruptinflames Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce 7600 GT XXX Edition
    ok so im completly new to this side of a computer. not knowing what the hell is being said in this guide...lol no offense i have decided to ask if this is the easyiest or close to the easyiest guide out there? if it is possiable to find something to where i can pretty much tell them every itty bit of information about my system to them and they can pretty much do the overclocking themselfs but just in there own words. if not oh well worth a shot, cause im not about to start doing something that can cause my $1500 system to melt. thanks for your time in reading my message.

5. THunDA

THunDA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor x1900xtx 675/783
    I'd say you probably have more in it.. but your the only one that can really find out IF there is more left..
    well.. I wrote this guide as simple as I could.. If some things still confuse you then my suggestion is to read more guides and browse through the forums to learn more.. Do some google searching because there are many other good guides out there to learn from..

Im a firm believer of learning about the things your changing and not just following a guide because it just says to do certain things.. Its always good to actually know about the things you are doing..

6. corruptinflames

corruptinflames Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce 7600 GT XXX Edition
    ok and when someone has to reformat there machine. all the overclocking work is completly restarted and every thing is back to normal like it was befor the overclock, correct?

7. Marri

Marri Guest

GPU:
    a newbie here :)

If I buy a Termaltake heat sync for my Processor will i be able to overclock more ?

I bearly know a thing about Overclocking since my temps are 35c idle(average)
    50c(full load)

Im @ 2.649Ghz , v1.58
    12x

My system boots @ 2.7Ghz with higher volts but then after a while it reboots etc
    Even if i lower my ram speeds I still get erros and my system reboots !

In general will i be able to Overclock higher simply because of using a TermalTake Heatsync or any third party sync...regardless of my circumstances...

8. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Incorrect.

You should be overclocking from the BIOS, and the BIOS is stored in an EEPROM on your motherboard.

It is not stored on the hard drive.

9. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Firstly, the lower the temps the better (down to a point).

Secondly, a Claw usually needs more voltage than 1.58v to see it's full potential.

50c load is ok, I wouldn't run over 55c personally.

What a better cooler would do for you is to reduce your temps so that you are able to increase the vcore without temps becoming an issue.

Whether this will help your overclock or not remains to be seen, since that's something you'd need to try for yourself. However, you've a Clawhammer which need more voltage than you're currently giving it to realise it's full potential.

I personally would grab a new cooler so you achieve reduced temps and increase the vcore to see the full potential of your Clawhammer. But, it's not 100% guaranteed that you'll be able to overclock higher. It is likely though.

Which TT sink are you looking at by the way? As far as I can remember, only the Big Typhoon is any good.

10. Marri

Marri Guest

GPU:
    WildStyle , thanks for the reply.....and clearing that....
    Well I'm not entirly sure on what they're called....but one thing for sure its damn big , huge is the accurate world...big enough that it doesn't have a fan....I'll let you know ..
    Thanks I'm sure you can teah me quite alot.....my system just doesn't like going at anything above 2.650 Ghz , is it possible that its reached it's limit...is the fact that it boots at 2.7Ghz working as a sign that it can clock higher...

Last edited: Mar 30, 2006

11. Heatseeker_no.1

Heatseeker_no.1 Member

GPU:
    XFX 4890 1GB@935/1120
    Sorry, complete noob here, but I'v got up to the;

"LDT/FSB Frequency Ratio (Ram Ratio) to 100(Mhz)(1/02)
    This is much lower then you should ever set this but it will make sure your ram is running way under spec and wont be causing you any problems at this point.."

point of the guide and I'm copletely stuck on how to do this.

Thanks in advance

12. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    That part is actually incorrect, heh. Well, the naming anyway, as the LDT/FSB Frequency Ratio is your HTT multiplier. The option to adjust your RAM divider is labelled as DRAM Frequency Set in the DFI BIOS, which is what the guide is based upon.

Is your board the AV8 you have listed in your specs? I ask because often people forget to update their specs. Let me know and I'll find out what the option's labelled as in your BIOS.

13. Heatseeker_no.1

Heatseeker_no.1 Member

GPU:
    XFX 4890 1GB@935/1120
    Yep, my specs are up to date and yes it did say dram freq in my bios (as 200MHz) but it was greyed out so I couldn't change it.

14. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Ok, under the Advanced Cipset Features menu will be a submenu called DRAM Configuration. It'll look like so:

[​IMG]

DRAM Timings Selectable needs to be on Manual so you can change the options.

And the option that needs to be changed to run your RAM on a lower divider is DRAM Clock. DDR400 is the default and is 1:1 meaning your HTT and RAM frequency are synchronous. The option you want to enable here for testing is DDR200.

15. Heatseeker_no.1

Heatseeker_no.1 Member

GPU:
    XFX 4890 1GB@935/1120
    Ah right thanks, I was wary of trying that as it warns you of problems on the right.

Trying it now....

16. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    It is possible to cause problems yeah, though on that menu nothing major, but if you're not sure of anything just ask and any possible problems will be prevented.

17. Heatseeker_no.1

Heatseeker_no.1 Member

GPU:
    XFX 4890 1GB@935/1120
    Sure thing, thanks, btw what is the max temp I should allow my cpu to?

18. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    I wouldn't let it go higher than 50-55c.

19. Frag-master

Frag-master Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX960 Mini OC
    wow nice guide

have ago l8ers hehe cheers

20. sakis213

sakis213 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia eVGA 8800Gtx
    hi guys,great guide!!

btw when we oc an X2 cpu what we really do?it has 2 cores,when we oc it by 200mhz it's faster by 200 mhz

but what about the cores,the 200mhz are splitted???