980 Ti Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by AvengerUK, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Jonnygrunge

Jonnygrunge Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4090 SG1
    Great card you have there! Good old silicon lottery!
    Mine is 70% ASIC! Can get around 1470Mhz on the core but it was crashing the drivers!
    Settled for 1270MHz on the core (+17) and 2000MHz on the VRAM (+390) very stable for me, and a nice increase in fps! Fan profile of 75%, stock voltage and a 110% Power boost. The card will hit around 1459MHz on the core! Max temp is 57oC! They are great cards!

2. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I got 72.5% asic. The reason why your max temp is 57 is you got a fixed fan profile. What about automatic? :D

Will do a session of d3 then post temps.

3. archie123

archie123 Guest

GPU:
    Aorus 1080ti Extreme
    what is asic?

4. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    asic quality, the metric basically that determines how much voltage leakage your card may have?

higher numbers have less leakage, thus is more efficient in overclocking, you need less voltage for higher clocks... but then again they may not reach that far in oc numbers, it's the opposite for lower asic numbers.

btw i modded the bios with 120 pt, but I'm too lazy to flash it since I have to reinstall drivers lol, cba to do that. :D

the command basically otherwise is 'nvflash -6 name.rom', that's all?

5. archie123

archie123 Guest

GPU:
    Aorus 1080ti Extreme
    thanks :) I'm planning on overclocking it this weekend just gathering information before I break anything

6. Jonnygrunge

Jonnygrunge Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4090 SG1
    I prefer a fixed fan profile, which is in-audible! Bear in mind I has 2 280X's before, it was like living next to an airport! :)

Artifacting (red dots) is a sign of pushing the VRAM too high and is no ground for an RMA, mine runs stable at 8GHz which is quite common as the cards use Hynix chips.

Bear in mind also that the stock speeds for the VRAM is 7000Mhz, so too push up to a 1GHz (effective) overclock out of it, is very impressive!

As for the core, I find throttling to be the main issue here, so its a trade off between VRAM speed or Core speed. At 8GHz VRAM, I find I can only really manage a 1270Mhz overclock on the core, (still a 270Mhz increase over the stock core!) which boosts to 1439MHz.
    I think if I want more out of the core I will have to either modify the power boost limit in the video BIOS to around 120%, something I don't want to do at the moment, as it can void the warranty!, or trade off my VRAM overclock to around 7200-7400Mhz and increase the core to around 1320Mhz. This should give me a boost up to the magic 1500Mhz territory! My temps will give me plenty headroom, and giving the card extra voltage, just seems to reach the TDP quicker and therefore throttle the clock speeds!

I will test this theory tonight, but as I am new to the "green team" I feel I have a lot to learn with the way these fantastic Maxwell cards perform.
    Really to be honest, I just want to enjoy gaming again, without the joys of sh*t crossfire driver/profiles and the problems that used to cause!
    Don't get too hung up of benchmarks, clock speeds, etc. At the end of the day it is a fantastic card, that will eat up anything you throw at it, and will last me for some time, or at least until Pascal is released supposedly with HBM! ;)

Real world tests, comparing results in 3DMark you are talking with various core and VRAM speed combinations, I have had 16414 my best result (1538Mhz boost) compare that to lesser results, and you are talking less than a few %, or 1 or 2 fps!

With the GTX 980Ti you are already achieving ridiculous performance in games with these cards, is it really worth any more hassle for kudos?

Happy gaming!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  7. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Overclocking won't do any harm to your gpu, just make sure it's stable.

And to johnnygrunge I had 2x 7950s before so I know what an airport is. :D

But yeah.. the silence is massive :) It's like having a silent pc lol, no sound at all lol.

8. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Red dots is too high memory OC.

Also unless you are flashing to another brand of card you do not have to re flash. If you are doing this, post your bios and I can modify it

9. Jonnygrunge

Jonnygrunge Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4090 SG1
    Might take you up on that over time, for my Zotac AMP Extreme to increase the Power Boost to 120% :)

10. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Johnny, how much does your zotac go up in power? max power in msi ab after a playing session, does it ever hit 120?

managed to take a late pic of msi ab after a playing session of d3 @ 4k

[​IMG]

rofl even though my max pt is 110, it still goes to 117, wtf? XD :D

tk btw, no bsod after 2nd playthrough of d3, :) looks like mem was the issue, thanks lol

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015

11. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Yah the Power Limit is a "soft limit" it will allow short bursts above the power limit.

I BIOS modded mine to allow up to 120% but honestly I think I might revert that change, they really get too hot in SLI if they are constantly above 100%.

12. Jonnygrunge

Jonnygrunge Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4090 SG1
    Will have a wee look later on tonight after a shot of MGS Phantom Pain! Posts a screen shot, if I can capture it in time!

13. Jonnygrunge

Jonnygrunge Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4090 SG1
    Think I may have it cracked!, ran Heaven for half an hour results below!
    Core 1338MHz VRAM 1835MHz (7340Mhz Effective) Core boost 1503Mhz constant! :banana: Highest temp 54oC on air! Max power 101% :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Why do you need to reinstall drivers ?

You used to have to disable the driver to flash, but even the latest nvflash now does it for you temporarily. So you should be to go !!!!

15. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    because for the new pt things to take effect in the bios you have to reinstall drivers, at least it was like that with my 7950s,

is it enough if i just disable the adapter and reenable?

16. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    No you just have to restart ur pc, thats it.

17. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I guess I got a good one. Gonna see how far I can push it.
    [​IMG]

18. BeeJAyP

BeeJAyP Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980Ti Hybrid
    I finally received an EVGA Hybrid cooler for my stock SC card and installed it yesterday. The instructions could have been better but the photos they had made up for the gaps, also I didn't take a picture but there was some very deep scratches on the edge of the waterblock, but well away from contact with the GPU so not much of an issue there. The shroud looks good but the edges are quite rough and almost cut into one of my fan cables when I was routing.

It runs fairly cool, high 50s with my current overclock, 52C stock. I quickly found that other than a few benchmarks etc a lot of games running at 4k hit the 110% power limit after about 1450MHz boost, so I modified my bios to change it.

It really doesn't like running above 1500 boost on stock voltage but at 1.243v I finally got it stable at +160 with a boost to a solid 1514MHz with +200 on the RAM. Asic score is 75.9.

http://i.imgur.com/fuhjvOs.png

19. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    I think I may buy a Hybrid cooler for my EVGA SC+ cards.. with just a single card temps are fine. But with 2 of them they can hit upwards of 80-85C. UGH

20. Megabiv

Megabiv Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI (h²o)
    Underwater these things are godly :p