980 Ti Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by AvengerUK, Jun 1, 2015.

1. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    @Angantyr

the fact they didn't alter the PCB design doesn't matter per se, but as stated the custom PCBs have more power phases = stabler current/voltage delivery to the GPU core.

Personally I'd say, if you're gonna run at stock settings (or overclock just for curiosity) then the EVGA should do fine.

The "zero fan" isn't an option I'm afraid (needs a custom fan curve override or a bios mod to disable). Though EVGA isn't the only one who does that, the others you chose may have the same feature (?)

At least some Zotac cards do...

It's nothing ground-breaking really, just means that by design the card is passively cooled until 60 C when the fans start spinning.
    If you want to drop temps further you can override this with a custom curve, which you'd need to do anyway for any card (if you're not satisfied with the default cooling performance).

PS: and if pricing in Denmark is similar to pricing in Finland, the EVGA is probably the most affordable one as well...

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  2. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
    I've never been one for Overclocking my cards, whenever I've done it, it has simply just been for the curiosity of it - Install a benchmark ( Uniengine etc ) Run at stock, try OC, run the bench again and feel smart smart about the increased score. But truth is, I've never had any games where it was a benefit to OC the card. So always just been going at it with stock speeds.

Can't pretend to know anything about pricing in Finland either, but you guessed correct. The EVGA is the cheaper one of the three, though, not by a huge deal.

Btw, did you receive any bloatware with the card? In any case, I'm pretty certain now that the card will provide me with more than enough power for my needs. Now I just need to focus on the new monitor and memory :nerd:

3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    ^

Out if those 3 zotac amp extreme is the fastest out of the box (1430 - 1440mhz boost) and coldest too. But from what I saw its also the most €€

If money isnt a issue then get that, you will also get new TheDivision game if that store supports this promotion.

Yeah I bet it was.. new and expensive gpu and to cause such issues by "user error"

Great that you fixed it! :thumbup:

4. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
    I've just spend an hour reading EVGA reviews, seeing benchmarks on the games that I play with it. Seeing videos with afterburner overlay, please. Oh god, please don't make me second guess anymore lol.

Also, just checked. The store I buy from has the same promo going on all 980 TI cards. And that is : The Division & Bombshell. Have 0 interest in any of those ( No offense to anyone who enjoy those games, I just really only play fantasy RPGs ).

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Yes sorry I meant for all 980TI..

Well really with default fan curve its the coldest (no need to fiddle with anything), never goes above 67C, evga or that GB G1 both get hotter, the hottest is usually evga 74C or so..

And has the best out of the box OC, ram too for 100MHz.

check the table bellow where it compares other cards.
    https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_GTX_980_Ti_Amp_Extreme/27.html

btw that Amp extreme doesn't get that hot in idle though, 30-35C..

I was also thinking of this evga, but not really liking their fan design (only classified seemed ok in that area), just personal preference, its ok but you will have to "tweak" the fan to get optimal cooling, which Im not really a fan of.

I even dislike this 60C off fan speed @ Zotac or any brand that uses this feature (most do), but hey they had to fckup somewhere.

6. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
    Ye, I'll admit I'm at bit skeptic on the fanless mode till 60 degree cooling system the card comes with. Though, I've generally discovered a positive attitude towards it.

But I suppose a custom made fan profile through a 3rd party program could disable fanless mode and make it run even in idle(?).

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Well I doubt there will be much wear and tear @ lets say 25 or 30% and 700-800rpm. But yeah it sounds good and not, its not because it can have issues by higher OC and manual fixed fan curve is a must.

Anyhow I flashed mine, at first I used Amp extreme max boost value 1607MHz, but now it boosted to 1417mhz instead of my calculated 1405mhz, so I lowered max boost value for 1 step >> 1595mhz and now it made the correct 1405mhz boost.

1417MHz sounded nice, but when I tested my OC at default 1.187v it failed in TombRaider with SSAA after ~ 1hr, 1405MHz was still ok.

Also modded fan @ 25% started to make some rattle noise @704rpm, and it was a bit jumpy 700-1300-700-1100, MSI AB read it as 1300-0-1300-0-700-1100, etc. It went away when I raised to 35-40%, then it settled at correct rpm and when I pressed restore to auto default 25% it was ok too.. So I made some more adjustments and raised to 30% and 840rpm. Now it works ok.

[​IMG]

Im going to keep this and see, well 1405MHZ passed Firestrike Ultra 4K and other games, so I guess that's enough to call it ok. Will do some more testing now :nerd:

EDIT: although now it gets a little loud once it goes over 60C (max was 62C, no fan mod 67C), up to ~60% fan, will probably raise middle temp. to 72 or 74C.

EDIT2: ok managed to get it under control as in above re-edited picture. Now its ~ 62ish C max and 55% fan speed, I'm a happy camper now lol :)

8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yeah, just create and use a custom fan curve in AB, works fine.
    The zero fan isn't hardwired, simply means the card's default fan curve has 0 % speed up to 60 C.

Ofc the upside is the card is completely silent in desktop / low power use if that's important to you.

A promo code for ROTTR, nothing more apart from the usual driver DVD.

Oh, and some big stickers and a large poster too :D

Yea bios flashing is too "easy" these days and you end up doing it carefreely. Though I always rebooted to safe mode command prompt for flashing, instead of just disabling the driver, flashing and rebooting.

Still, next time(s) I'll completely shutdown the system after flashing to avoid such issues and create a bootable USB disk as usual.
    For now I'll just keep the default bios tho, the zero fan is only an issue when overclocking high.

9. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    That's not the G1 he's talking about, he meant the Xtreme. They're different cards.

10. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    SLI users - heed my call.

I've finally found a good balance between heat, acoustics and throttling for SLI. So then I got another problem (not investigated it properly yet) : the FPS in SLI mode really goes up and down like a rollercoaster and not as even as single GPU. I'll make some serious tests but it this really normal?

11. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I guess not, guess it depends on the game and scaling and how well optimized it is?

I have a sick urge to upgrade to 5820k and x99. **** me. Someone help me out lol?

12. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Will you go SLI? If so, then yes. Will you use a lot of programs that support multicore? Then yes.

If not, 6700K is a viable option which has great IPC in comparison to other CPUs and you can expect it to OC minimum 4.6GHz or more. Also, it's a little bit cheaper than X99 :)

13. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Well I won't be going sli but the extra 2 cores and 4 T's tempts me.

14. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Question is if you'll find use for them :) I know I wouldn't.

Then again, DX12 is supposed to be very multi-core friendly but...only if the app supports it (if i remember correctly). And how long will it take before apps got 6-thread support?

15. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yep, well that's the case. I think I wanna future proof my system a bit more if I'm spending that much money.

16. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    If you're gonna upgrade from an i7 now then go for the X99 I think. Especially as you're getting two more physical cores with it.

Upgrading from a IB i7 to a Skylake i7 is not worth the money spent IMHO (particularly with that overclock of yours). Ofc one can argue neither is upgrading to X99, but if you're gonna the X99 is surely the better option.

DX12 will surely favor 4+ core CPUs so switching now makes sense in that regard. 6 physical cores and 12 threads sounds like a good plan for the future.
    Or wait until some DX12 games are out, see how your system performs and upgrade with the tech available then when necessary.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  17. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    What AsiJu said. I forgot you had a i7 at 4,9GHz.
    Still the increased IPC can matter even at lower clocks than 4,9GHz.
    X99 should be futureproof. On the other hand, the 6XXX 6/8 core CPUs might be worth waiting for :)

18. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Hmm yeah. IB though AsiJu*. :D

19. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    :bang:

Well, even more so then ;)

Also like Netherwind said if I were you I'd wait for the Skylake-E or such, surely packs more punch.
    The added IPC of Skylake with 6 or 8 cores sounds good. Or at least X99 system pricing should drop a bit by then.

Or maybe see if you can find a deal on some Xeon CPUs for Z77, apparently they often overclock nicely too. I've often heard people with Xeons are happy campers.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  20. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Nah I'll wait for Skylake-E or whatever, sounds like the best thing to do.