5970 No VRM Temperature Bottleneck for me

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by gerardfraser, Nov 27, 2009.

1. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Well the article on Anandt while informative does not seem to effect my 5970.

GPU 1 and 2 5970
    GPU 3 285GTX

Max temp on core with extreme burning mode was 80.5 C
    Max temp on Vram was 99C extreme burning mode can do upto 120 before it effects anything.

Now this is my card and how it runs on extreme burning mode.
    My advice turn up fan speed and for anygamer this will not be an issue.

Heres the screen shots.
    [​IMG]

link to higher quality screen
    [​IMG]

2. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    the one card i can get to work (sometimes) does about the same on temps but not at same clocks,which your card is very nice at 1000 damn. i have no case and cool air over it also 130v 950 vrm 100c about in 100-200 sec of stability test.
    i guess ana article is like anything else theres always a bad one in the bunch + you might not even notice in gaming if the card did throttle down.
    its 3am i'll post up some temp ss's later hopfully others will to

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  3. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Cool stuff.You would not notice in games,just running client if it gets real hot.

Well just wipped out a bios editor for my card,it runs so good I would like to go higher.Anyhow after some reading seems you need a digitally sign driver from AMD to override clocks on the safe side.So I chickened out in trying.

Maybe I wait tillsome smart guy releases one over 1000.I heard theres a 1070 core thing around just can find it.

4. Chris Chiu

Chris Chiu Active Member

GPU:
    ATI 5970
    You are the most lucky one. I think 99% 5970 users have the VRM temperature OC bottleneck issue if you don't watercooled your card. I can OC my card to 1000/1200 if the game/application dont draw so many power and VRM temperature is low then 100C.

Here is my card cap screen. you can see the VRM temp over 110 and the 1st GPU and RAM speed drop to 550/1000.

5. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    You may be correct one of the lucky ones.I have another one coming,maybe I should cancel and wait for a revision.

6. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    i aint lucky look at this mornings test with no case and window cracked a tad in my small room +two fans blowing on the back of the card and one in front to feed air.
    from what i seen i need more volts then most do for same clocks also
    here with 1.28v
    [​IMG]

here 900 1.22
    [​IMG]

those amps readings cant be right 64ish amps no way? or way?
    i'm going to really open a widow later to see if it helps ala my 295 gx2 style cooling he he
    [​IMG]

7. skugpezz

skugpezz Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 Fury X Stock
    It was just the noob reviewer who got an early card (prototype). EVeryones 5970 seems to be ok

8. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Thats some wild stuff there man.Hope my other card does not get like that.
    64a wow think I seen 54 on my card.
    Those numbers can't be right.If they are I need another Power supply to.Got corsair HX1000w can pull the watts but not those A with 2x5970 and 285GTX

9. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    bro if right(i dont trust the software) what psu can supply two o/c'ed cards with added volts pulling 65amps apiece lol

ok stock clocks temps
    this card wont run on stock volts at all 1.11ish does the trick thuo.
    [​IMG]

should be fine for any gamer you wont need to add volts or clock much for that with these beasts

10. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    I just game,but you overclock mad.I want ya to destroy 01,03,05,06 ETC

11. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    lol i'm no chispy but i'll try
    insulating the mb now but my 920 wont go much passed 5.0ish on dice and the card is not great like yours either

12. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    Unfortunately I have the problem too, any more than 1.149 on the Vcore and GPU1 starts to alternate between full clock and downlclock. GPU2 is fine. I've setted for 900 core at 1.149 any more and I need more Vcore but it starts downlocking then in furmark. :(

I can do 900/1150 stable right now, used to do 970/1270 but since I stuck I Q9560 in I've had problems with the core at those clocks and cant be bothered with the memory voltage after each reboot so just left what I can do on stock volts. And then to my horror noticed the downclocking in afterburner. GPU1 runs 10c hotter that GPU2 all the time, I wonder if I should take out the 8800U PhysX to stop the heat/power draw...

And the drivers :biggun: After a failed overclock only a safe mode, clean , reinstall and overclock all over again or else instability galore.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  13. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Its been a week or so since last FURMARK at extreme settings.
    Although I have the difference in temps from GPU0 and GPU1.
    Vram temps still peak at 99C and no throttling so maybe I just got lucky with this card.

[​IMG]

Link to higher screen
    [​IMG]