3090 Owner's thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by XenthorX, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Gfunkernator

Gfunkernator Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3090 GxT
    @jura11 Yes that does help me thanks. I've been seeing similar reviews from others with this specific card and the bykski block. 38-43c sounds very reasonable. I have a 360x55mm rad and a 240x55mm rad in my loop. Both of those are pulling air into the case. I also have two 200m fans as exhaust on the side, and one 140mm exhaust at the back of the case. When I had my shunt-modded 2080 Ti with the Galax 380w bios (about 450w), my temps were 38-43c. I want to try out the suprim bios then eventually the evga 500w bios. I'm expecting higher temps with higher power draw. Hopefully won't exceed 43c. My ambient temp as of now is 18-20c. I do plan on using liquid metal. I know, scary, but I have seen many methods on protecting the surrounding circuitry. Nail polish, electric tape. I could use both. From what I have been seeing, this card is extremely power hungry and runs very hot. Cooling the backplate will also be a challenge.

2. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    @Gfunkernator

360mm 55m thick radiator with another 240mm 55mm thick radiator should be okay for RTX 3090 with 500-520W and 10900k too, have look friend running 10900k OC to 5.3GHz with KFA2/Galax RTX 3090 SG with 390W BIOS with thin Magicool 360mm radiator on top and 240mm 30mm Alphacool on bottom and temperatures on his loop are under 50°C, usually they're in 44-48°C, highest temperature what I have seen has been its around 53°C with cranked central heating to test how it performs in summer weather

I always test loop like that right now outside are fairly low temperatures (lowest idle temperatures what I have seen on my RTX 3090 has been around 7°C,during the night I forgot to close door as my cat always is going out hahaha ) and I do tests with cranked central heating to see how temperatures are

What case do you have? Regarding 200mm fans, there are not many 200mm fans whuch really push good amounts of air through the radiator or through the filters, only one fan I know is quite good is Silverstone AP181, Noctua seems is good just is disappointing RPM range on that fan

As I said I would expect temperatures in 38-43°C maybe bit higher but I don't expect you should see high

I didn't used on any of my GPU's LM, I'm scared of that hahaha but seen quite good improvements running LM on RTX 3090's or at least what what I seen few people using LM on their 3090's

For backplate cooling, try strapping 2*120mm fans there, I'm using only combination of 80mm and 120mm fan and my VRAM temperatures are in 60's, I already ordered Alphacool D-RAM waterblock for VRAM and will see how it performs

Hope this helps and good luck with your build

Thanks, Jura

3. Gfunkernator

Gfunkernator Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3090 GxT
    @jura11 I have the corsair graphite 760T. The 2x200mm fans are mounted on the side panel and are pulling hot air out of the case. The top 360 has 3x120mm fans that pull air in. The front 240 has 4x120mm fans in a push/pull config. Then there is the 140mm fan at the back. The PSU is mounted fan-down since my case has a vent where the psu fan is. I don't want the PSU pulling warm air out of the case, I rather it pull fresh cold air from the bottom. Take a look at my pic. It isn't pretty, yet! Once all my stuff comes it will be purrty. Believe it or not, those 200mm fans do a great job at pulling all that warm air coming from the rads as well as the motherboard itself. The only issue I have right now with this config are small pockets of warm air that don't escape. I'm thinking slot fans. Right above the PSU is where one of these pockets is, the other is near the VRMs above the GPU. For cooling the back of the GPU, I could get put a slot there too. I could probably print a housing for a 120mm fan that could act as a slot fan. I prefer the DIY approach rather than buying something pre-made. Those 200mm fans aren't even supposed to be there. I cut two holes (first one on top I messed up lol).
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  4. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Thanks for the advice about the radiators. Are you certain? Reviewers seem to think that the XR5 and the XR7 are basically the GTS and the GTX. What else would of you recommend? I don't seem to be able to find anything else that seems to be working so well in a low rpm situation.

5. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    @PrMinisterGR

I'm sure or certain they're based on L-series or LS series of HWLabs radiators, not actual GTS series of radiators

L series or LS series are OEM radiators of GTS, difference is its higher restrictive than GTS and performs worse than GTS or at least in my testing and Xtreme Rigs as well

Previously I have run 4 of LS 360mm radiators in my loop, switched to SR-2 360mm and very happy with performance now

I wouldn't pay extra for Corsair logo over OEM HWLabs, usually HWLabs LS360 are £15-£20 cheaper than Corsair and for same price of Corsair XR5 or XR7 you can get true GTS360 or GTR360 radiators

Where are you located? If you are in EU you can try Highflow or check other stores which sells water cooling stuff

XSPC are good makers of radiators, Alphacool depends, EKWB PE or XE are good just way too overpriced, their SE range I wouldn't touch, Magicool or Coolgate are okay too just they will not dissipate as much heat as other radiators

If money is no object then SR-2 360mm hands down is one of the best radiator on market, GTS360 is good if space is concern

Here is review of Bitspower Leviathan which is essentially LS360

https://www.xtremerigs.net/2016/04/29/bitspower-leviathan-slim-360mm-radiator-review/

Techpowerup review of XR5 not sure, although I trust VGS, something is just not right, because this radiator in their review is outperforming or is very close to GTS360 which is very strange

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

6. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    @Gfunkernator

Sadly I can't see your pictures of your case and how it looks there, I didn't see for while 760T case and didn't used that case at all, I tried few of Corsair cases in past and I built in them few loops

Regarding the 200mm fans and pulling out warm air, you can try play with running fans as intake or as exhaust fans, side panel fans are now very rare in cases and I remember only HAF which I used previously which has have side 200mm fan

I would suggest removing PCI_E slot covers and you can also try place 120mm fan on GPU which in theory can cool RAM or VRM on motherboard, I done something similar in my Caselabs M8 with pedestal, removing PCI_E slot covers can allow escape warm air through it and same applies for fan on GPU which should help you with cooling VRM and RAM

In my case VRM are never break 60°C when I render with 3*GPUs in Blender or Octane or any render engine which does use CUDA

I placed 120mm fan on GPU which pushing cold air on RAM(4*16GB G.SKILL TridentZ Neo 3600MHz) ,previously RAM temperatures have been in early 40's to high 40's and after placing the fan there, now highest RAM temperatures are in high 20's to mid 30's

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

7. Gfunkernator

Gfunkernator Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3090 GxT
    @jura11
    Are you viewing on mobile or desktop? The picture loads for me. Using the 2x200mm fans on the side as exhaust has performed the best for me. I have tried as intake before. They pull out the warm air from both rads. I tried to reupload the picture check it again.

I can place a 120mm fan directly on the back of the gpu with no space? There should be some space right? Like at least a centimeter? Otherwise the air will just push back up through the fan causing cross-wind. I'll try it either way. Two more days until my ek block and backplate arrive. Unfortunately I ordered the backplate before seeing that EK announced an active backplate solution. They didn't say if their new active backplate is universal or model specific.

Attached Files:

8. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    @jura11
    Thanks for all the help! My initial plan was 2x SR2s and a 360 GTS for the top. I'm currently located in Germany, I'll try to find them again, and check the store you mentioned.

9. schoolofmonkey

schoolofmonkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax 4090
    So I have replaced the Inno3D with a EVGA RTX 3090 XC3 and Hybrid kit.
    Huge difference over the Inno3D, temps are lower, scores are higher and I can actually overclock this card.
    [​IMG]

In gaming frame rates are better as the card is maintaining a lower temp, (55c in Cyberpunk 77).
    I really didn't want to go a full WC loop, I change my PC so much it's a pain.

I am out of pocket $400aud, but a full WC loop would of set me back $1300aud.

10. h4xor1701

h4xor1701 Member

GPU:
    RTX 3090 Inno3D
    These scores are with hybrid kit already installed?
    OC setup?

11. schoolofmonkey

schoolofmonkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax 4090
    Yes, card was using stock settings.

These are with the Hybrid cooler, 1 has the stock 366w BIOS, the other has the KFA2 390w BIOS.
    OC settings:
    +150Mhz Core
    +200Mhz vram
    111% power limit on the 390w BIOS, 104& on stock 366w BIOS.

[​IMG]

12. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Thanks for the update. I'm planning on keeping the Inno3D actually, since the plan is to put everything under water. I think that the KFA2 390W BIOS will do fine with that, and apart from the cooler, the PCB itself seems to be built well and to spec, and the didn't go cheap on the power configuration with 4x POSCAP + 2x 10 MLCC.

I think the card will fly with a good waterblock. Now the challenge is to try and either block my ears to @jura11 and not listen to him about the Hardware Labs vs Corsair rads, or try to scour the place to find 360mm SR2s, which seems almost impossible.

If you guys have any links to stores in mainland Europe that are not covered by price aggregators like Geizhals, please share.

13. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    @PrMinisterGR

Did you tried check Highflow.nl and Aqutuning(it's Alphacool subsidiary), these two should have in stock HWLabs in EU, in EU is sometimes very hard to find SR-2 radiators

https://www.highflow.nl/hw-labs.html?page=5&sl=en

I went with Bykski waterblock for RTX 3090 and very happy with that decision, temperatures are great and quite happy

Its up to you there which radiator you choose, you can go with Corsair XR5 or XR7 radiators and call it day, but paying extra for Corsair logo over HWLabs is just wrong and wasteful in my opinion

I bought my LS 360mm for something like £40 each and SR-2 360mm I bought like £80 each used

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

14. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    @jura11 I would never pay more for a logo, my only issue is the availability. I'll try to find them.

15. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink

16. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
  17. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

I have been too waiting on SR-2 360mm radiators like 6 months to pop up, when I seen them I literally snapped them

Magicool radiators are good alternative radiators although they will never outperform GTS 360mm, I use these radiators on loops where budget is lower, because you can get these radiators for something like £40-£50 per radiator

I personally prefer HWLabs because they're have lifetime warranty and never have issues with them

GTR or GTX radiators are good too just these radiators really shine at high RPM, for low speed fans GTS or SR-2 radiators are best

Other recommendation which I would add, you can try go with single 360mm radiator for inside the case and add MO-ra3 360mm as external radiator, I have built one loop where friend is running single 360mm radiator which is cooling 3*GPUs setup and we added as extra MO-ra3 360mm and that loop is super quiet and temperatures on GPUs never break 42°C

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

18. h4xor1701

h4xor1701 Member

GPU:
    RTX 3090 Inno3D
    in Time Spy what is your best graphic score in 366/390W BIOS?
    for comparison with my daily OC 370w air (yet) +160 core / +100 mem , mine is 19649
    https://www.3dmark.com/spy/18424614
    have you tried Superposition too?

19. Gfunkernator

Gfunkernator Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3090 GxT
    Why do most people bench the standard timespy instead of timespy extreme?

20. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Probably because it's free.

Gfunkernator and nizzen like this.