2nd Drive Speeds

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by allesclar, Sep 20, 2019.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I think the drive is failing, there shouldnt be that much performance lose with drive with 600gb+ free, Try different drive if possible? or maybe try the drive in another pc? have you tried chkdisk

airbud7 and allesclar like this.
  2. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Thats exactly what i was thinking last night, unless the D: is simply timing out?

I will get CSGO installed on a USB stick tonight and run it to compare.

Either way i am aiming at an MX500 1TB drive to replace the D: drive but need to make sure its a drive issue first not system.

3. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    I will give it a go tonight, its about 1.5 years old and still under warranty but to be honest, i would rather just get a new drive (SSD) rather than faffing about with the warranty return of the laptop etc, unless they are happy for me to transport the hard drive only.

I will ask and see what they say once I have done further tests tonight.

4. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Thanks for all your help guys.

Will update tonight.

5. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    well well well,

Just installed CSGO on an external usb hard drive and it ran perfectly.

Most likley is the hard drive of the original D: or maybe a connector.

time to get the laptop cover off me thinks....

airbud7 likes this.
  6. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Just running a full chkdsk now.

airbud7 likes this.
  7. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    What a day, just had a NAS PSU fail. Jesus lol

8. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    chkdsk found no issues, defraging found no issues.....

Really at a stump now.

Might take the drive out and put the 2.5 one i have in the caddy in to test to make sure its not the connections/cable or controller...

9. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Well i have started to move the game files back to D: and its only been 5 mins and still only on one bar lol

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    if external drive and usb connect at that work fine, then must be drive could be controller or cable connection but who knows.

I assuming you try to copy data off the effect drive, then wipe its partions and remade the partion and are now copy data back on it to see if that fixed it issue? HDD alignment if wrong and hurt SSD I not sure how true that is on HDD.

11. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Just an idea: Is sth. else accessing data on the 2nd drive? Some program with an "agent" running in the background? Windows Search service? You may check in Task Manager, I think it is called something like "Performance Monitor". Open the harddisk view on the left, sort for the most reading/writing/combined task and check the box. You will see its impact on the graph on the right side. I think it is somehow possible to show the location of the program and close it. Then try to play without doing a reboot.
    If you then found the bugger, use Sysinternals Autoruns to check for this program and disable its start, if you know what the program does. Do not disable critical system services, or your system may not boot.

12. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    I was also thinking of trying MS SATA driver if he's using an Intel one.

13. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    You cannot compare CDM v6 (yours) with CDM v3 (theirs). The 4 tests are not identical over the generations, the software changed.

Those speeds are typical for 7200rpm HDDs, maybe sequentials are a bit lower than the 120/180 MB/s we're seeing on HDDs, but it matters where the partitions tested is situated on the platters.

Also, I would try to change in the advanced power options for HDDs to never shut down. It will cost you battery life, so change the power plan when on battery, but it should get rid of the before mentioned issues when the HDD motor has to spin up when it wakes from some idle state. I've had that issue with all my HDDs for quite the time now. One of the first things I do when I fresh install Windows is to expose the AHCI Link Power Management in the Power settings and then set my "Turn Off HDDs after" to Never. It should also prolong the life of the HDD, spinning up/down when resuming from idle is not exactly good for the motor from what I've read, although that might be a problem with older HDDs. As for the AHCI LPM setting, HIPM/DIPM, HIPM or Active all work for me and get rid of the annoying resumes from idle and spin ups/downs.

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Yes you can.

15. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    You know what I meant. 512K is not 4KiB Q8T8, since that's the field that is most striking in how different the speeds are.

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    that is true, however thats just a difference in defaults, you can configure each field like for like and retest.

17. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Abit of an update.

After upgrading my PS4 Pro hard drive to a 2TB SSD, a 1TB SSD became free.

I replaced the HGST 1TB hard drive in my Laptop with a 1TB Crucial MX500 and formatted it.

Transfered all my files back and it took alot less time to transfer (a good sign).

No issues at all now in gaming and everything seem quicker than ever.

Done a surface test on the HGST and full Crystal scan with no issues being shown.

Must just be one of those things. I dont think i will ever go below SSD aside from NAS storage.

Thanks all.