2D/3D profiles wont change correctly.?

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by Chivalry, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Chivalry

Chivalry New Member

GPU:
    8800 GTS 640 MB 620/1000
    hi .. just wondering if this is a known problem? just installed rivatuner and followed the guide to make fan speed changes and overclocking profiles... the fan works great... but i have a slight problem with the overclocking profiles?

i made 2 profiles.. a standard 2D at the standard 8800GTS speeds..... and a 3D one at 620 / 1000 .... the problem is that when i apply the 3d clocks.... it jumps up to the required 620 / 1000....... but when i apply the slower 2D profile... the core drops to 513..... but the memory stays at 1000 .. same if i have the monitoring up... if i start a 3d application.. the core auto jumps to 620, and the memory to 1000... but after it returns to 2D the core drops to 513 but memory still stays at 1000..

the wierdest thing is though if i look in nvidia control panel..... it tells me my core is at 620 and mem at 1000....... even though rivatuner is saying the core has dropped to 513...

any ideas which is correct? and how to fix it please? thank you for any help. :)

2. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Allow about 5 minutes to pass to see if the clocks come down.

3. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

One more user escaping from ATI? :)
    Read NVIDIA 2D/3D overclocking basics. Memory clock is supposed to be the same for 2D/3D modes by design of most display adapters.

4. larppa5

larppa5 New Member

So is it ok to keep the memory overclocked all the time? Also is there any way to exclude winamp, for example, so it doesn't change to performance 3d mode because of visualization?

5. Unwinder

There is no way to do it if you use the driver's own 2D/3D clock switching apporach. However, you can do it and program your own dynamic 2D/3D clock switching scheme (which allows separating both core and memory clocks, adding some applications to the exceptions list etc) using RT (you'll need to keep RT and RTSS in memory to get it working).

To do it create 2 overclocking profiles: one for 2D clocks and one for 3D clocks. Both profiles must have the same clocks for 2D/LP3D and 3D performance levels to "hide" driver's own clock 2D/3D clock switching.
    After doing that you can enable "Hardware acceleration" graph in hardware monitoring module, add a threshold to it and associate 3D clock profile with upward threshold switching event and 2D clock profile with downward thresholkd switching event.
    Hardware acceleration graph is build by means of RTSS (statisics server), so you can easily add a profile for any application to the server's properties and disable the server's ingegration in this process. This way you may exclude any undesired application from automated 3D detection.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2007
  6. larppa5

larppa5 New Member

Cool! Thanks Unwinder! Works like a dream:)

7. cornpop

cornpop New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 GTX
    Can you clarify something?

First, I wouldn't be asking this unless I couldn't find the answer. I have tried to no avail. I tried to search the FAQ but it returned no results for 2D/3D basics.

larpp4, what OS are you using? Does it even make a difference?

I have the 8800GTX, Vista 163.67 drivers, with RT 2.04, with a ratio to gain the higher shader. By the way, it works rather well. My current OC clocks are 648/1566/1022 for 3D. So what you are saying is that i need to create one 3d profile with 2D/LP3D/3D with the same above OC values then a 2d profile at the default 576/1350/900 for the 2D/LP3D/3D?

Thanks

8. Unwinder

Yes. Then automate these profiles switching using "Hardware acceleration" graph.

9. cornpop

cornpop New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 GTX
    Finally had a chance to try this. It works really well. I also added the fans to kick in with the 3d acceleration.

Thanks Unwinder

10. Capt Proton

Capt Proton Member Guru

GPU:
    2 X GTX 570
    My problem is this one stated in the beginning of this thread. I had the same settings I want working on my NF4 Ultra D with Opteron before I did my change to my present rig. I was using 2.03. When I installed the software for this sytem, I loaded 2.05, but, when it didn't work I uninstalled it and reloaded 2.03, but it still wouldn't work. I followed the guide by Boogieman through all of this. Is the difference the P35 vice the NF4?
    Crikeys! This program is not for the faint of heart! I am afraid I do not understand setting a 2D/LP3D and a 3D Performance in the same profile. How do you do that?
    Is the threshold here the Clock threshold, or the memory threshold?

11. Unwinder

No. Just Don't try to follow the guide blindly without understanding your actions!

Any profile saves currently set 2D/LP3D/3D clocks. Just adjust the clock for all performance levels to the same values then save them to the profile.

The text you've quoted explicitly says that the threshold must be defined for "Hardware acceleration" graph.

12. Capt Proton

Capt Proton Member Guru

GPU:
    2 X GTX 570
    I did understand each step. It took reading and thinking, but I understand what was instructed. And, as I said, it worked on my old set up. Now it does not.
    Currently looking for information on this Hardware Acceleration Graph thing. Hopefully, I will find a comprehensible, read step by step, guide somewhere on the net.

13. Unwinder

If you'd _really_ understand it, you won't post the phrases like "I said, it worked on my old set up. Now it does not." and won't try to search for "Hardware acceleration" usage guide.
    Just start thinking and understanding the technology you're trying to use instead of searching for another guide step-be-step guide written by somebody else. You'll never proggress this way.

14. Annex

Annex Guest

GPU:
    GeForce 8800 GTS @ 600 / 900
    Having two OC profiles, one for 2D and one for 3D, caused a LOT of problems for me. In games like UT3 every time id enter the big mech thingie the frame rate would drop to 1 fps. In games like PotBS, with Vsync enabled the game would freeze every few minutes. As soon as I removed the two OC profiles and went back to one OC profile, all my problems went away. Yes my memory is always OC'd, but rather have that and stability than all the issues.

15. Capt Proton

Capt Proton Member Guru

GPU:
    2 X GTX 570
    Got it all working, thanks to the other posters here. Step by step good. Having to be an engineer not good.

16. Unwinder

I repeat once again to all newbies: DON'T try to program dynamic overclocking if you don't understand your actions. Nothing but your own misunderstanding and errors in your blind actions cause problems to you!

17. cornpop

cornpop New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 GTX
    I am using the Hardware Accelerator method for switching between 2/3D and 60% / 100% fan respectively. However, I wish the fan to run on 100% until my GTX reaches my desired idle temperature and switch to 60%. What is the easiest way to accomplish this? I suppose I could do it through the temperature threshold but I have read on many occasions from Unwinder that it’s an inefficient way of doing it on these cards. Any suggestions?

18. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    I never had an issue using the "downward temperature threshold crossing" method. Try it, you'll like it. :)

You can try to set up a combination of both methods.

19. Eggcake

Eggcake New Member

Sorry to push that thread up again, but I didnt want to create another thread as I know this question might have been asked a few times - but I read through all the 6 sites in the forum and couldnt find the answer (maybe somewhere hidden in a thread..).

Everything went completely well till I installed Everest - now, my Card isnt switching to 2D anymore - instead its alway overclocked. Well, I'm not sure if its Everest, but I had the exact same problem before I formated my machine (yesterday) - everything went well until I installed Everest. So here I am again. Uninstalling didnt help (I'm not even sure if it is Everest, but all I can say is that it happened the second time now...)

So, I dont want help for that issue (because I'm pretty sure there is none). I wanted to "overpass" this problem using 2 different Profiles. But here is the Problem: I have now 1 "underclocked" profile (2D,Low3D and High3D same clocks) - but I cant set the correct Low3D clock for my OC'ed Profile. As I cant move the Slider separatly, I dont know how to set it. It just stays at the low oc profile (300Mhz for core). I already tried to reset everything to default/disabling and re-enabling overclocking but the low profile stays at 300 Mhz...

I'm just using separate profiles with a different low3D clock in 1 profile. Didn't see any difficulties - is it okay like that or shouldn't I do it like that?
    Is there a way to enable separate sliders or how do I make that slider move?

Thanks for your efforts

Edit: Oh sorry, nearly forgot: using RT 2.06, XP Professional, FW 163.75, GF 8800 GTS 320

Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  20. moemeister

moemeister New Member

Core Clock Problem in 3dpower mode

Hi all,(specially Unwinder)

somebody may help me with a problem of rivatuner 2.06 an a evga nvidia 7800 gs (256Mb)

I created two profiles. For idle and 3d -Mode.
    The switching of the profiles and fan controlled by the acceleration server statistics work perfect.

I just have a problem with this mentioned guide step

I can´t set the 3D clocks for 2D to 480 Mhz because the controller is blocked at 415Mhz. (see attachement).
    2D Clocks: 2D@200/400; LP3D@200/400 and 3D@200/400
    3D Clocks: 2D@415/1300; LP3D@480/1300 and 3D@480/1300
    So I can´t hide the drivers own clock and games start with 415/1300 instead of 480/1300Mhz. Once I close the game and start it again the core clock will be set to 480/1300.
    It would be nice if there is the chance to unlock the controller in "standard 2d" to hide the drivers own clock correcly and make it work properly.

Thanks for your efforts

MoeMeister
    [Germany]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007