X570 chipset fan noise?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Gromuhl'Djun, Jul 7, 2019.

1. vdelvec

vdelvec Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    I really miss Abit. :(

2. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    The chipset fan on my X570-E Gaming is pretty silent as far as I am aware. As matter of fact my entire setup with the Corsair 500D SE RGB and 5x 120mm LL case fans and Be Quiet Dark Rock Slim cooler and fan has been much quieter than I had originally anticipated to the point fan noise is drowned out by ambient and I only hear the system running if the room is silent.

3. Paulo Narciso

Paulo Narciso Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    Biggest issue for me with a ASUS X570 Prime Pro is the chipset heat. It reachs 80 degrees when pushing my GPU, because it sucks all the hot air from it.

4. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X

ExtremeTech placed an AMD Ryzen 7 3700X in the MSI X570 Godlike motherboard, then tried the same processor in the MSI X470 Gaming M7 AC and found that in the Prime95 tests, power consumption dropped by a remarkable 38W.

Even when the CPU was in its idle state – when the PC is using very little processing power – the idle power consumption dropped from 67W to 52W.

The website ran a number of tests on various motherboards and saw a pattern emerge where the processor drew more power in the X570 motherboards compared to the X470 mobos.

Source: Techradar

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Extremetech states the obvious, more news at 5.

fry178 likes this.
  6. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    Good point I didn't even think to check. Just ran Witcher 3 for about 20 minutes and my chipset temp topped out at 73 degrees C.

7. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Cant hear the fan on my Aorus Pro, all i can hear is my case fans (Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X) :D

8. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Whisper 5000... Dude, how on Earth could you even remember something like that? What a blast from the blast. Or a whisper from the past.

This is certainly a useful thread. I still don't know what I should do about the mobo question, but I'm, probably, not in any hurry. I might go for an older gen or even wait and see the B550 offerings, should they appear eventually. The chipset fan might not be the decisive thing for me, as long as it's not loud, but now I realised there are some factors to keep in mind, like the location. If the video card is nastily right on top of it, maybe it would be impossible to later switch to a passive heatsink, like probably everyone did back in the day, eventually.

9. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Well, on my part, this Ryzen build had been easy as pie, my new rig booted to POST from 'git go', Win10 install went off without a hitch. Only minor hiccups were these crazy temperature spikes I'd been seeing, but I've been told to ignore them as monitoring software was being rather wonky. My rig is up and running, checking for temps and stability.....really, this was one of the most trouble free builds I've ever had.

10. psygnosi

psygnosi Guest

GPU:
    Vega 56
    You can do what I did and eliminate the chipset fan entirely if you are on a watercooled custom loop. Its easy. No need for fan profiles, no noisy fan whine, chipset stays cool and reliable...

11. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    AsRock x570 Plantom Gaming 4, 3700x cpu, 32gb ddr4 3000mhz ram @ cl-15 (ram was on sale).
    No fan noise from the chipset that can be heard over anything else, not while music is off and doing content creation, not while browsing the web or YouTube, not while gaming etc.
    Now granted I am on release-day BIOS, and have no PCI-E 4.0 devices, so maybe this is all smoke and mirrors until I plug PCI-E 4.0 devices in.
    TL DR, Don't worry too much; if it screams, you might have gotten a defective one.
    EDIT: Fractal Define XL (?) It's whatever the full-tower Define from 3 years ago was... got it used. No side window and lots of noise-dampening material, but I've had the panel off & chipset fan isn't audible over the XFX RX 480 8GB (AIB, non-reference) video card.

12. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Just thought I'd update this thread with my findings of my motherboard which is the MSI X570 Gaming Pro Carbon Wifi (I really really hate that "Gaming" is in the name of the motherboard...).

Currently my setup is as follows:-
    R7 3700X
    2x16GB 3200MHz CL16 HyperX Fury (for a total of 32GB RAM)
    R9 Fury
    Creative SoundBlaster Z
    Samsung 256GB 850 Pro
    and 3 other SATA Hard drives
    750W EVGA GQ PSU
    Fractal R6 TG Edition case
    (I've yet to purchase an nvme SSD but I will be doing that next year as I'm in no rush for one)

During use, I've observed that the chipset fan is semi-active and under my hardware setup, the fan doesn't spin up at all, only time it does is during boot at the POST - I have also manually tested the fan at 100% speed and for the size of the fan, it's surprisingly not that loud, it certainly does have a distinctive sound but rather simply sounds like air moving fast through the fan but I will add, my case does dampen the sound quite a fair bit. I imagine the fan will spin up during situations such as multiple expansion cards/SSDs pushing a lot of data placing a lot of load on the controller.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  13. Personally, I'd prefer AMD overhaul a revised X570 spec for OEMs/fanless. It's funny we last saw chipset fans on consumer boards back in 2011? Just have a funny feeling like we're going backwards here... dual nvme this "10 quantum relays" or not. Well, in light of the negative reports we have some positive ones, that's nice. It's likely hit or miss with the fans.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2019
  14. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    The fan placement is so weird, perfectly seated just under the GPU and will undoubtedly suck hot air from normal coolers. Do you always have this problem? Even after BIOS updates?

Which ASUS mobo do you have?

That's interesting, the ATX version also seems to have chipset fan placement rather high up, blocking the GPU.

15. Shagbark

Shagbark Guest

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 2070 8G
    The situation has changed--most manufacturers have released BIOS updates to set the fan speed.

A review from July:
    X570 Chipset Fan Noise Comparison - Who makes the quietest X570 motherboards?
    Summary:
    From quiet to loud:
    $1000 Gigabyte AORUS XTREME: NO FAN, no noise.
    ---- noise starts here ----
    $360 ASUS ROG Crosshair X570 VIII Hero
    $??? ASUS Prime X570-Pro
    $220 Gigabyte X570 / AORUS Pro WiFi
    ---- THE ONLY SIGNIFICANT CHANGE IN NOISE IS A BIG JUMP HERE ----
    $330 MSI MEG X470 ACE
    $280 ASRock X570 Taichi
    $360 Gigabyte AORUS master
    Gigabyte AORUS Pro

I'm astonished anybody ever uses those crappy centrifugal-force fans for ANYTHING. They move, like, 1/50th as much air as a curved-blade fan making the same noise.

16. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    Strix Gaming E

17. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Do you feel that your GPU (It's a pretty big card right?) is blocking the chipset and that the chipset is being fed nothing but hot air during game play?