Western Digital moves away from the HGST branding

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    WD will be phasing out the HGST branding, perhaps not the best move? HGST HDDs gained much popularity due to strong reliability. The first move is the name change of the Western Digital Ultrastar D...

Western Digital moves away from the HGST branding

2. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I never owned a HGST HDD but most of my HDDs are WD (I have some others as external HDDs), so that doesn't matter overly much to me personally. However, Sandisk is my number 1 choice when I buy SD cards for phones, cameras, and such. Are those going to be WD as well? Western Digital might really hurt themselves there in the future as there are lots of people relying on SD cards (and other solid memory card formats) who have little personal connection to PC parts and thus the name Western Digital. They would merely think Sandisk disappeared from the market and go for their second choice. The same might apply to USB flash drives to a lesser degree as Sandisk is one of the premium names there, but who has ever heard of Wester Digital usb thumb drives?

rl66 likes this.
  3. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    it's just the final of the takeover by WD...

btw both where top HDD, and now that WD have a Pro brand, HGST is useless (btw only the brand deseapear... the quality stay)

4. howiec

howiec Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 HOF
    I guess those of us who know that HGST is generally much more reliable than all other mechanical HDD brands/products will have to figure out which future WD drives correspond to HGST... if that turns out to even be the case.

5. SamuelL421

SamuelL421 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 / RTX 5000
    Exactly, this is a weird move for WD. HGST reliability is well documented and known to those in working in IT / datacenters.

6. PedroNF

PedroNF Member

GPU:
    AMD RX 570 4GB
    Or in other words, we're screwed. :mad:

7. putterman

putterman Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 580 3 way sli
    Sad day.

I was one of the few that purchased exclusively HGST products.

Reliability was really the reason.

I've had numerous Seagates and even WD drives fail. My buddy who has an IT business has noticed same issue.

Hopefully WD can keep up the HGST legacy.

Drive issues are a serious headache.

That's why IT people plan their systems assuming drives WILL ultimately fail.

Didn't they warn you to backup lol.

8. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    Unsure on this. This would make no sense. Tipically if unprofessional managers wants to save, they will save on everything. They don't care about quality. They care about aftersale service costs.

9. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    highly questionable decision. if they dont maintain discrete product lines for the apparently now-defunct hitachis...then not all of current customers will willingly migrate to WDs other offerings. if they arent careful, they will actually lose business over this.

10. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    WD pro line is already HGST in desguise, also WD have a very good pro. aftersale service... and their pro. line is at the same price than HGST.

Then it is the same (and also WD is already implanted in pro. market).

*edit* the last SUV from Mercedes-Benz is a Dacia/Renault/Nissan but it is still a Mercedes-Benz.

11. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    I have 2 solutions:
    -drive in raid
    -backup
    (of course you can use both at the same time)

if you work for a company it's inexpensive compared to the lost of data...

my company have gone seagate, i was really against this brand (lot of personal issue with those), but after some time using those... i think that they are doing their job in a really good way. Things can change in a better way.

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I have one HGST drive is 7200rpm 1TB laptop drive, it was in my ps3 for 5 years I have since took my 500gb drive in my ps4 and put that in my ps3 and put the 1TB HGST in to my ps4, is still going strong, I cant say same for the WD drives I had which all I died in 2 years, for most part I been using Seagate drives for like 25 years which well over 2 dozen of them at this point, they all still work other then normal wear and tear, other then the 1 momentum drive I got that I had in ps3 that out right failed less then 3 years

13. Welliam

Welliam Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 460 Hawk
    Of course they did that so customer dont choose / compare between HGST and WD. I tried all hard drives brands and only HGST that I really like its reliability with fast and quiet performance. damn you WD I will go seagate next time

14. Aitortxo

Aitortxo Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080ti TRIO
    Some might say HDDs fail is a matter of luck. Throughout the year, many Seagate broke on my, less fewer WD though. As for Hitachi, I still have a couple of 500GB 2.5 on my 10 years old laptop that I use every day and never gave a single problem. On my desktop, I have another Hitachi 8 year old 2TB 3.5 that again, keeps working like a champ and just recently bought 2x8TB Helium and couldn't be happier. HGST's trustworthy reputation is absolutely true.

15. NAMEk

NAMEk Guest

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    No one seemed to take one thing into account talking about reliability. Different countries or world regions get different quality products. Even if they are made in the same country. This is verified already many times. @Aitortxo never had problems with that. In my long computers and servers fixing career Hitachi is in my personal list of most defective drives I encountered, maybe not #1, but still.