voltage drops...help!!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by slacker126, Apr 7, 2005.

1. slacker126

slacker126 Guest

GPU:
    Inno3D 275GTX
    i was having a problem with my voltages not being stable so i went out and got a new TTGI 450watt PSU today and installed it....and my voltages are STILL dropping. my max on the 12V rail is only 11.46volts! on an average it hangs around 7-8volts and on the 5v rail it hangs around 3.5volts....HELP ME!!! i need to find what may be causing this

2. slacker126

slacker126 Guest

GPU:
    Inno3D 275GTX
    i just tried removing all hte my peripherials to see if i can bring up the voltage at least on the 5volt rail but its a definate negative. the only molex connector i am using is for my HD right now and im still seeing 3.5volts only on the 5volt rail. what is wrong with my system that its doin the smae thing with 2 different PSU's

3. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Your sensor is reading extremely incorrectly. Simple as that.
    Onboard sensors always read inaccurately, but not normally to that extent!

You think you would be able to use your PC okay w/ your output voltages looking like that if they were for real?

4. slacker126

slacker126 Guest

GPU:
    Inno3D 275GTX
    the PC spontaneously will restart...basicly shuts down if i try to do anything graphically intense where it takes power, or even if i try to play a song on winamp and talk on AIM at the same time. you can see the voltage dropping, would it really read that inaccurately even in the BIOS??

5. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Okay so it's not working okay.. lol, but you didn't state you were experiencing instability.

The BIOS and your monitoring software both read from the same sensor, so yes they will both be inaccurate, though some software is known to be even further off. Have you checked both sources?

If you have tried removing unnecessary devices to reduce consumption, yet it didn't help, then I would look elsewhere for your problem. I don't see how a PSU like that can have problems with a system like yours, and you say you got the same sort of readings on your old PSU too? Can you get hold of a multimetre? If your readings are that crazy then I don't see how you would even be able to get into Windows, since boot-up is demanding on your PSU. Though you'd be okay to actually boot if the +5VSB was okay.

Have you checked temps at all?

6. slacker126

slacker126 Guest

GPU:
    Inno3D 275GTX
    temps are good...at full load the CPU gets 41-42C and the case never goes above 35C. i use SpeedFan for my monitoring in windows and the only device i have hooked up at the moment is the HD and it still all shows the same. Say i go to try to play CS:S, i can get into the game and maybe play for 1-2 minutes and then the system will just restart....sometimes it takes 10-15minutes sometimes only 30 seconds, its really not something that is happening at the exact same time.

7. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    If you are overclocking, reset to stock. Clear your CMOS preferably so you're back @ factory defaults. Rebooting w/ an overclock is usually a sign of lack of vcore.

Then, run Prime95. See if you get errors. Torture test "In place large FFTs"

8. Altazimuth

Altazimuth Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X 5870
    Yes confirm the voltage readings with a Multimeter, you will have plenty of spare Molexes so take the readings from one of those, but make sure you only ever have the Meter on a Voltage (DC) range otherwise you might blow up the Meter or it's internal Fuse.

If the readings from there are normal, then I would take readings from the m/b if you know how to.

9. Royicus

Royicus Ancient Guru

Yea, as a quick note, i have just seen the light of software inaccuracy. My software told me my 12V line was 11.91, well, i measured it and it was 12.22. SO much for software eh?

10. slacker126

slacker126 Guest

GPU:
    Inno3D 275GTX
    i went through prime95 without any errors...i really dont know what is wrong with the computer, i've now removed my SB card and only hvae my video card on the computer, everything is running at stock speeds and i still am getting the spontaneous crashing/restarting.....i dont have access to a multimeter unfortunately but im certain the PSU is working properly....is it possible that my mobo is failing or there is a problem with my processor? my vcore holds solid as well as the dimm voltage and i've never had a problem with either of those...

11. slacker126

slacker126 Guest

GPU:
    Inno3D 275GTX
    and the testing continues....i've now swapped everything out into my old athlon xp system and i got everything to work perfectly in that tower. i even swapped out the hard drive and loaded a fresh copy of win xp onto a different one just to see and the same thing happened, during installation actually. so now the ONLY things i've yet to test is the new PSU, the mobo, and the processor

12. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    I'll go with the mobo on this one.

13. GKZ

GKZ Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4890 1GB
    I'd think PSU - I don't like the strange brand, really...Antec as always for PSUs...

14. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Topower >>> OCZ, Tagan, TTGI/Super Flower

As you can see it's in good company, though of course that doesn't make them exactly the same, but generally speaking the TTGI is not what you'd call a generic POS or anything.

15. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    The Torture test (Options >>> Torture Test) would've failed in less than 2mins if your problems are as bad as you say.

I'm no expert on software, but try safe mode, also check for viruses/spyware etc, the normal stuff, though of course if you're alert you would've done all that already... it's usually the first thing that comes to mind.

If all else fails... you could give reformatting a go I guess...

I was also gonna suggest running everything out of the case to avoid the possibility of it shorting but then realised it wouldn't even POST if it was.

16. Altazimuth

Altazimuth Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X 5870
    I don't think it's the PSU.

It's a shame you can't get hold of a Multimeter as I was trying to see if the readings were different between the Molexes and the Motherboard. That +3.5V for the +5v cannot be right. Maybe the Sensor is faulty?

Btw, the Sensors read your Motherboard's voltages, not the PSU's (there is a difference) -as for their accuracy I have no idea, but there's bound to be a little Voltage dropped across the Connectors - more so if the connections are loose or corroded etc.
    Maybe I'll check out the accuracy of the Sensors on my board one day (when I have to open my PC again) -but don't hold your breath.

Anyway, as the CPU temps seem to be OK, the prime suspect is the motherboard and/or connections to it.

You could also try taking out all your PCI cards and one RAM Module and see if the problem still occurs, if it does, put the other RAM Module in instead. Rinse and repeat. (that's the standard test)

17. slacker126

slacker126 Guest

GPU:
    Inno3D 275GTX
    i just tried doin the torture test again, it restarted on the 2nd test the first try. so i tried it again and it failed probably half way through the 1st test. i have tried putting in a freshly reformatted 40gig hard drive and couldnt even get through winxp being installed without it restarting on me. the only thing i havent tried is the ram but both my ram sticks worked well on my other system when i put them in it.

18. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Have you tested this PSU on another system already?

Oh, and ignore what I said above, just read that you've already formatted. :bonk:

19. slacker126

slacker126 Guest

GPU:
    Inno3D 275GTX
    no, ill pull it out and test it on my old system, im in the middle of checking both ram modules at the moment, ill let you all know what the results are

20. slacker126

slacker126 Guest

GPU:
    Inno3D 275GTX
    i removed both ram sticks one at a time and checked the system with only running one of each module and had the spontaneous restarts in both cases, i also tested the PSU in my other system and got perfect stable voltages on it. so that leaves me with...the processor and the mobo, i've contacted ECS about the mobo and am awaiting a response