Vehicles of Guru3D

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by -Ruin-, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Yeah I see it now, thats what happens when you become a derv driver (and everything 'else' is wrapped in garage). Defect it is, plugs are consumables.

Self servicing?

2. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    What the hell is a derv driver? Haha.

Yes certainly. I'm way too cheap to pay anyone else to do it (read: a shop), plus I have a couple of weeks off now.

3. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    Diesel driver lol

I do most of my car work myself, well basics like oil change and that, as i only use the best quality i can buy, nearly £60 for 5L of oil last week.

4. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Synthetic is the way to long engine life. My engine is still running as it did the day it first started, 13 years later because of it.

5. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    In the future when power cell powered cars will come, will people buy replicated engine sound "things"?
    Imagine how boring it will be to drive while hearing nothing, and not even having a gear shifter :(

6. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I know right, nothing like hearing the scream of a full open throttle in the morning.

Electric cars have no soul.

7. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    Yeah, exactly.
    I hope that at some point we come up with an alternative to petrol and oil.
    Something like Oxyhydrogen or something ;P
    Though it needs 570 degrees centigrade to self ignite at normal pressure.

8. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    All the way, ester based synthetics are but they are very pricey and dont do one for my car (being a diesel) so Mobil 1 ESP.

Alot of people dont realise how important good oil and the difference it makes.

9. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Thanks for the advice guys, I'll get my tires and alignment checked the next time I take it in for servicing.

10. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    You can check your tires yourself, just look at them. If the treads are really worn and don't have much depth left, you'll need to change them. Alignment needs to be done by a shop though.

11. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Ice: well... i also kinda threw out the idea of getting the wheel balance checked. Maybe somewhere along the lines he lost a weight. Don't think i've ever experienced a car starting to vibrate/shake at high speeds due to low tread.

And i don't know what's more sad..... that i saw a $120,000+ Maserati Quattroporte at the Sheetz in Allentown, PA.... or the fact that i saw a Maserati in Allentown and was more impressed by how the way he parked his car made him look like a total douche. Seriously.... if you're going to say to yourself "Hmm... i make quite a lot of money... how about i buy an insanely expensive car.".... and then get all worried that someone will bump your car with their door or something to the point that you HAVE to park it taking up two spaces at an angle, here's a hint. Don't buy a $120,000 car, dumbass. When my parents got their '01 Trans-Am.... they did the less a**hole-y thing. PARK FARTHER AWAY! You can buy an expensive car, but can't walk? What's next? Buying a Segway to toss in the trunk so you don't have to walk the 10' from your car to the front f*cking door?

SOOOOOO wish he wasn't sitting in the car at the time, and SOOOOO wish i had one of those cards from youparklikeana**hole.com (and if you want to visit that site... no... the actual URL isn't censored) to stick under his wiper or something.

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Blatant case of Operator Abuse.... :wanker:

Anyway just think of the fuel saved by only running on 3 cylinders....:p

EDIT: Did you pull the broken piece out? Prob won't do your piston heads or plugs any good with half a plug floating around in your cylinder...

13. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    Detonation causes this too...not just manufacturing defect.

Detonation occurs when unburned fuel/air ignites at an inappropriate time during the 4 stroke cycle. Timing has a lot to do with detonation and simply advancing the timing on the distributor can remove all detonation from happening altogether. Go to far with the timing though, and you'll be running too advanced and get pre-ignition, which is just as bad and potentially just as destructive.
    Running a higher octane gas can also reduce or eliminate detonation.

Hopefully it's just a bad plug - while you've got the one out, you may as well replace all of them - insure they're all gapped to your engine manufacturer's specs and you should be good to go (after replacing your head gasket of course!) - and here's to hoping that there's no internal damage beyond what you've already seen. Often when you blow a head gasket, there's other things that have happened - if you've got oil in your water or water in your oil, it might not be just the gasket itself but a crack in the head or even blown rings, etc.

Anyway, good luck! Hopefully it's just the plug and nothing else!

Psychlone

14. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino

GPU:
    old
    You're a moron. Don't use gay as an insult.

Also, Cayman S with an LSD is faster than a 911 Carrera.

15. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I didn't think it to be the tires either really, just a good idea to check them regularly anyway. Tires can cause shaking when they're bad, but it's pretty consistent at any speed.

And I've only seen one Maserati Gran Cabrio, and it was driving through my University. Now anyone who's gone to a University knows driving (or rather parking) a car like that anywhere on the grounds is almost a guarantee you're going to get dents.

I also saw my first Aston Martin in the U.S. (ever) when I was on the road recently. A nice late 90's DB7 Volante, and in Cleveland of all places...

16. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Hey thanks for the advice. I don't think the head gasket is blown. At least I hope it isn't. I will try and find out today. The valve cover gasket however is leaking and I will replace that. All plugs are already replaced.

17. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Btw, too low Octane fuel can cause it as well, you can hear the detonation (called pinging) when you accelerate, (sounds like rata-tat-tat-tat-tat).

18. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Light er up and smell the exhaust. If it's a sweet smelling toxic white cloud that comes out, head gasket has a high probability of being faulty.

19. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    It doesn't appear to have any of the signs of a faulty head gasket, but the weather is incredibly wet today so it's kind of hard to judge the exhaust. The gasket was changed by the previous owner not too long ago (~12k kilometers), so I dunno. I got the o-ring seals I needed for the valve cover now, so I'm gonna go ahead and do that once the rain stops.

I will say this though: it's idling much, much cleaner than it has done for a long time. I think that spark plug must have been failing for quite some time.

20. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    If it was the head gasket you'd have water, not oil on your plugs....oil can be from worn rings tho...

Blown gaskets allow coolant to seep into the cylinder while the engine is off.
    When the engine is running again, pressurization forces the water back out of the combustion chamber and into the cooling system, hence bubbles/oil in water/radiator bursting/steam from exhaust etc...

Gasket damage can range from a tiny unnoticeable leak, to your radiator doing something like this pic:

[​IMG]

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.