TJ07 Dual Loop SLI Project!

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by MikeMK, Oct 27, 2007.

1. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    He all, as some of you maybe aware I've just grabbed myself a TJ07. Ive been toying with the idea of running a dual loop setup for a while, and its taken alot of time to decide what case to put it all in:

[​IMG]

The loop itself will consist of:

2x Liang DDC Ultra 18 Watt pumps with Petra Tops
    1x Thermochill PA120.3
    1x Thermochill PA120.2
    2x EK FC-8800 blocks
    1x D-Tek Fusion
    1x Swiftech MCW30
    2x EK 240 Multires's.

The hardware is as below. Unfortunately, my Coolermaster stacker just couldnt fit anything else in there, so something new had to be found. Anyhow, I started the work yesterday, and this is how things are going:

[​IMG]

First thing to do, was to strip down the case. One advantage of the TJ07 is that 90% of it is screwed together rather than riveted. The only parts I had to remove rivets for were the motherboard tray/back of the case which were riveted together. Everything else just required a turn of a screwdriver!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had a few minor mods in mind, to aid cable management for the build. Particularly important, as the bottom of the PC is going to be pretty cramped with 2 rads and an Enermax Galaxy down there.

Used a holes saw for some strategically placed holes in the motherboard tray. It will all become clearer later!

[​IMG]

I have modified one of the HDD rack stands from the bottom of the case as I will not be using it for that purpose! This will be used as a stand to mount the two pumps all being well.

[​IMG]

There are a few other minor mods and cuts, I'll post them once I have more pics.

Anyhow, I decided the inside of the case was to be painted black to match the outside, and make it look a little smarter. So after all the mods were done and keying the various pieces with wet and dry sandpaper I applied the 1st coat of primer:

[​IMG]

Thats it so far, but keep an eye for updates! :)

Last edited: Oct 28, 2007
  2. jonerkinsella

jonerkinsella Guest

GPU:
    rx480
    i feel your pain mike.
    im in the middle of a huge rebuild myself at the moment and it just keeps on getting deeper.
    but hey, it'll be worth it in the end.
    nice job mike.

3. Crossfire

Crossfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 4670
    Nice, looking forward to more pics. :)

4. volcom

volcom Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX XXX 7900GTX @ 749/1927 VX2025VM
    Yea same!

5. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    Thanks guys... its coming along quite nicely. Hope to finish the primer this morning, so I can leave it for 24hrs before applying the black tomorrow. Then rebuild the case. Im waiting for one or two minor parts for the 2nd loop to arrive (a petra top for example) but once thats here I'll start on the watercooling. Hopefully by the end of next weekend that will be done too!

6. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    I'm sure you have a copy of issue #50 of CustomPC but if you don't already get it! They have a great example of our case from SCAN called the White Cobra! Along with going through that new issue and also reading through this thread has certainly given me some ideas (although I promise not to copy you)! As I mentioned earlier, take lots of photos and keep us updated! Great job m8!

7. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    Ive been subscribed to Custom PC since issue 1, its a great mag. And yes, the scan white cobra is fantastic. I actually debated about getting this powder coated after doing all the cutting and maybe going for a different colour to the standard Brushed Alu or Black, but funds are a bit tight atm. Maybe in the future. Plus, its nice to think ive done it rather than just paying someone else to do my mods ;)

I'll post plenty of pics - today has really just been about doing another 2 coats of primer, so nothing new to show yet im afraid.

8. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    Couple more pics, of a few minor mods.

This is the former HDD rack base - now a pump mount. Shortened slightly so it will fit in its intended location, and with the side cut out for cable management purposes.

[​IMG]

This is the front IO port panel, that sits in the HDD rack with a section cut out of the side so I can run cables around the back of the mobo. The idea is that that two pumps are directly on top of this, however I had to create a flat base in order to secure them properly. Hence the adaptations to the HDD Rack stand that will sit on top of the I/O port panel.

[​IMG]

And finally... this one is for Roger - mate... i bet you can guess wot I bought this for. Hope you dont mind, but your idea was a very neat solution so I borrowed it from you!;)

[​IMG]

9. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    Awesome, thanks for posting more picture! It's going to be cool watching this rig come together. By the way thanks for that last picture, I had spent lots of time trying to figure out a smart way to take care of the radiators and that way truly seems to be the best way to do it (at least on our budgets that is)! Plus I'm sure that idea wasn't mine to take credit for anyway, lol! Have fun man!

10. chrismeyer

chrismeyer Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7950 GT 512meg
    sounds like a great project goodluck with man i cant wait to see the working pics and the pics wen its all finished

11. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    Right... update time. Quite a bit of progress today.

Firstly, probably the most nervracking mod Ive done to a brand new case! LOL! Cutting two holes into the roof:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And everything is now black. Just waiting for the final coat to dry, and then I can put it all back together!

[​IMG]

12. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Mike has the old 'make-everyone-else's-pc look-bad' stick out again then lol, good job mate and good luck.

13. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    It takes a brave man to drill through the top of the single piece aluminium frame of a brand new TJ-07. Good effort! I could never have done that to mine. I ended up giving mine to a friend for his birthday when I got my TJ-09. :O

14. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    Very nice matey, u rigs have allways been excellent and i expect no less from this one, keep the pics coming!!

15. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    I just laughed my butt off after reading that, great post aircool and very true, lol! I remember thinking the same thing back when phrozin used to hang out, no matter what I did his rigs and overclocks made my rig look like a piece of useless crap! O-well, gotta have something to strive towards!

So I wonder why those two holes went up through the roof of your case Mike (by the way, great job drilling through that aluminum, it's about 8mm thick there I think)? There must be some type of cooling equiptment going up there? Can you share what your going to run for radiators Mike, are you going to stick with the 2x 120.2 dual pass units?

16. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    thanks for the comments guys.

Roger - the loop is being upgraded. The dual Bix is being ditched and replaced by a thermochill 120.3. One loop will have that, and the other the thermochill 120.2 I currently have.

And yes - the two holes in the roof are part of the watercooling - a pair of Delrin DD Fillports in fact ;)

17. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    looks great mike!
    will it take long to finish?

18. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    Oh, I thought those holes might have been for mounting one of your radiators on top of case (I was trying to think of a nice way to say that was a bad idea, glad I don't have to now), lol! I'm also trying to find another PA120.3 (Still kicking myself in the you-know-what for selling my darn PA120.3 just to buy a smaller, lower quality, BIX240)! Live and learn I guess?

I also wanted to ask a question about pumping duties if you don't mind. Are you going to run a single pump along with a single loop or are you going to run two separate loops each with it's own pump, fill port, and radiator? I'm assuming it's the latter (two separate loops), what pumps are you running Mike? I have done a bit of research on the subject (since reading through issue #50 of CPC, it seems that two separate loops works considerably better than a single loop with multiple rads.

19. apintojr

apintojr Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX3070
    EEEEK. i dont think i could ever do that to a brand new case of that value. but hey looking great. keep up the good job.

20. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    Hey guys... update time -

Kwak - The earliest it will be finished is going to be sunday, but that kinda depends on how much time i get to spend on it after work this week, and certain parts arriving on time. If not it'll probably be the weekend after that.

Roger - I cant stand external rads, so there was never a chance of a rad on the roof. Everything will always be internal for me ;). As for the pumps/loops, it will consist of 2 18watt DDC Ultras with petra tops, in a Two loop setup. The reason for getting the TJ07 is that it would give me enough space for 2 seperate loops.

Anyhow... picture time. The case is now back together... take a look -

[​IMG]

And the back of the case - I have already ordered some black thumb screws, and im on the lookout for some black bolts to finish it all off -

[​IMG]