Thinking hard about folding

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by padishah, Jan 13, 2011.

1. padishah

padishah Active Member

GPU:
    2X Pny 470gtx's
    Hello i have been thinking awhile now about folding and i think im ready to jump i read the stickies and think the clients i should use with the system i have are
    SMP2beta
    and GPU3

the main question i have is i want it to run at idle for now any adivce on different clients or how to set it up to idle run only would be greatly appreciated

2. iancook221188

iancook221188 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI / GTX 460 SLI
    jello and welcome to the team padishah you have the right clients any way you will nedd to run one or each gpu

you can set the smp client to at any % of your cpu in the configure at the start
    i wot just set your gpu to stock speed you can all so them down in it configure menu they are best left on normal speed though

hope this helps

3. PantherX

PantherX Folding@Home Team Leader

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    padishah -> You want your F@H Clients to run only when the system is idle, right? I am not sure but I think that you can use Task Scheduler to accomplish that (Details).

However, if you are using your PC for normal stuff (web browsing, e-mails, etc), then I would suggest that you run your SMP2 Client with -smp 7 flag so that you will have 1 thread free for your normal applications. During gaming, it won't have much effect since F@H is configured to low/idle priority so that isn't an issue (at lease in my case).

Furthermore, for the GPU3 Beta Client, make sure that you either exit or pause the Client when using GPU intensive application.

Please note that although you are presented with the option to configure the CPU Usage, it doesn't work with the SMP2 Beta Client. To limit the CPU Usage, I use -smp X

4. J_J_B

J_J_B Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA: 2xSLI 580HC, 480HC
    On my system I have the SMP2 Beta Client set to "low" priority instead of "idle" whereas Stanford suggests that in its online help when folding using other clients alongside SMP2. I then set the SMP2 client's requested CPU usage to something less than 100% (I'm currently using 95%) in order to have a little extra CPU power for a virtual machine I run. When running -SMP 6 and using Process Lasso to set the core affinity for the SMP2 client, what seems to happen (I'm staring at Windows' Task Manager) is the 6th thread is the only one that takes the requested reduction in percent CPU usage (5% in my case). There does seem to be a tiny bit of usage reduction on some other threads, but not much.

So the CPU usage option does seem to be working for me albeit on only the last of the requested threads. That satisfies me though - it frees up anough power to be able to work in my VM. That said, setting the CPU usage to anything other than 100% probably does not make sense if using the default "idle" setting.

For gaming, I "simply" shut down all 3 of my GPU3 clients, shut down the SMP2 client, shut down Afterburner, enable SLI, and turn Afterburner back on for GPU monitoring. The process is then revesed when I'm finished gaming and want to fold again.

5. padishah

padishah Active Member

GPU:
    2X Pny 470gtx's
    Awesome Thank for all your Information Im going to start setting it up tonight i may be back with more questions i should be part of the Guru3d folding team soon Thanks guys

6. padishah

padishah Active Member

GPU:
    2X Pny 470gtx's
    Okay i think i have my first problem i have the CPU one running great and one GPU going and its working good says Padishah team 69411 and im folding on GPU 2 it starts up good and shows folding going on but doesnt say Padishah team 69411 it says core is not running now but afterburner shows it running i set up the short cut

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Folding@home\Folding@home-gpu\Folding@home.exe" -gpu 1 -verbosity 9

C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Folding@home-gpu2\

I also just downloaded Fahmon and it shows a percent complete but no PPD or Points on GPU 2

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  7. padishah

padishah Active Member

GPU:
    2X Pny 470gtx's
    Well i think i finally got it everythign seems to be working good and Fahmon says a total of 35618 PPD is that good?

8. iancook221188

GPU:
    yep well done

9. padishah

padishah Active Member

GPU:
    2X Pny 470gtx's
    Thanks Ian

10. iancook221188

GPU:
    you should ha two folder one for each gpu with an exe file and a work folder i.e (Folding@home.exe" -gpu 2 -verbosity 9) for your second gpu

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011

11. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Padishah, your sig has been activated as requested.

12. PantherX

PantherX Folding@Home Team Leader

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    padishah-> If you want to have both your GPUs folding, you can read this Guide.

Moreover, I have read some reports that FahMon doesn't show the correct PPD so if it happens to you, you can download HFM.NET and try it out.

BTW, you have appeared on the EOC list, <Click> :)

13. padishah

padishah Active Member

GPU:
    2X Pny 470gtx's
    Thank for all the help guys i got everything running good now and i got the hfm.net client and getting about 36k PPD

14. padishah

padishah Active Member

GPU:
    2X Pny 470gtx's
    Had to test the Sig thank Hilbert

15. J_J_B

J_J_B Member Guru

GPU:
    That's a great rate! You'll be one of Guru3D's top 10 folders within just a couple months if folding 24/7.

16. padishah

padishah Active Member

GPU:
    2X Pny 470gtx's
    Thanks JJB once i get my water cooling set up ill probably be almost 24/7

17. Ghost15

Ghost15 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 465 SC 1GB
    More competition, bring it! ;) :evil2:

18. padishah

padishah Active Member

GPU:
    2X Pny 470gtx's
    I will pwn j00 Muhahaha :war: :vader: J/k Greetings ghost15

19. J_J_B

J_J_B Member Guru

GPU:
    I love it! :nerd:

Now I'm feeling like I need to convince my wife to let me run my system full time over the weekend. That will only cost $10. Gotta stay ahead of the Ghost!

20. Ghost15

Ghost15 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 465 SC 1GB
    It's on :nerd:

Could be in trouble, I've reconfigured my Server to SMP 7, and its running much better with the webcam, combined with my slightly better OC on my Hex, I'm looking at about 80K PPD with good WU's now