Thinking about getting a mechanical keyboard, need suggestions.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by eclap, May 1, 2013.

1. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    just a quick update, I ordered the G710+ from ebuyer on saturday, it's tuesday now and they haven't even taken the payment, I rang them this morning and was told they can't guarantee shipping before the 10th of may, I said that's 6 days after I ordered. Their excuse was the old "it was bank holiday yesterday" to which I said yes, it was one day which doesn't explain why it can't ship today. I canceled my order with them and ordered one off ebay straight away, cost slightly more (£156) but it's already been shipped and might even have it tomorrow.

ebuyer need to sort their sh1t out.

2. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Hey, what do you think of this? It's so simple and basic......I don't know, somehow it appeals to me. Made an offer to the seller for it, hope to get it soon....oh yeah, it's a Ducky DK9087G2 Pro Cherry Black with white PBT keycaps.
    [​IMG]

3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    They're great keyboards if you don't mind missing the num keys etc. Ducky is up there in terms of premium quality keyboards.

4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    my g710+ just came from tnt, at work now but had a quick look at it, one big surprise is a full size enter key, which is awesome. This keyboard ticks every single box for me, I wanted a lot of features so I paid premium but it'll be worth it in the long run imo. The keys feel really nice too, can't wait to hook it up to my pc and give it a go. Really nice!

Last edited: May 8, 2013

5. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    Oh really, so it has the standard US type layout but with the full size enter key? Very nice!

6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    no, it's the UK layout.

7. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    eclap, a brief product review please!

8. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    ok...

LOVE IT :)

EDIT: Hmmm, can't really fault this keyboard, the brown switches are brilliant. the tactile feedback is there, can't really notice it much when I'm hammering away typing fast, but outside of typing I can notice it, it's fun.

The keys just feel so much more alive than anything I've ever typed on. Very responsive, very accurate. Typing is pleasure. My wpm went up like 8 wpm and I'm sure it'll improve a bit more. In games, the keyboard feels great, but a new membrane keyboard would do almost as well I guess. Played some GW2 last night and spamming keys is somehow more comfortable on the G710+ though. In some other games the difference between mechanical and membrane will not be as pronounced. I can imagine games like BF3 will play just as well on membrane keyboards. The difference is that this keyboard will take a lot more abuse. One of the reasons I wanted a mechanical keyboard was the fact I play a lot of MMO/ARPG and they require a spamfest of certain keys.

It's kinda heavy, I was used to pulling the keyboard towards me every time I sat back in my chair etc, this keyboard is pretty heavy and the new rubber feet really do their job. It feels planted to the desk.

Oh, good thing is I didn't have to install any drivers because I'm already running Logitech Gaming Software for my G9 mouse and my old keyboard (G15v2). All the macros were there on my G keys after plugging in the G710+, great.

Backlighting is pretty bright btw, I have it on the lowest setting. The volume knob is so very precise, it really allows for great volume control. It's really well positioned. the playback keys are also really well positioned and a pleasure to use (unlike on the G15)

Overall it feels and looks great. yes, it was expensive, but I would rather spend £150 once and have a quality keyboard for 10+ years than buy cheap, uncomfortable ones every 3-4 years. It's an investment. I won't feel the need to upgrade/replace this for a long time.

The keyboard sounds great btw, I'm finding myself taking the headphones off at times and listening to the sound of the keys. Love that sound :)

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  9. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Thank you for the detailed review.

10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    edited my post :)

11. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Just got my DK9087G2 Pro yesterday, trying it out and getting a feel for Cherry Black, a little heavy by somehow, playing UT3, I felt that controls were 'tighter'......more accurate. Still early days, will have to play more and see if I can get a feel for it. Anyway, I'd not known that the WASD key mounts had LEDs, replaced the white PBT keycaps with supplied red ones, enabled the LED and it looks pretty good.
    [​IMG]

12. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Sounds good i may invest in one also.

13. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Warning thread necro!!! LOL

I just joined the club picked up a Corsair Vengence K70 w/ MX red switches. Already changed out the WASD with the supplied (contoured replacement caps). So far I really like it over my razer lycosis it replaced. And it's not that loud, I don't think I will doing the o-ring trick as I really like the feel of the keys as is.

The only reason I necroed this thread was because this is the thread where I started looking at mechanical keyboards seriously, and Yasa put some very good info in here. So this thread deserved the love.

14. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
  15. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    ^LOL! You know you'd miss me.

EDIT: Now that I think about it I necroed and hy-jacked this thread. I do deserve to be banned.

16. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    :) :infinity:

17. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Amazing necro, glad you like it. Reds do feel distinctly different from blues, and sometimes I imagine what it would be like to type away on Reds when I don't feel like I have the strength for Blue (yes...).

18. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Thanks. Yes I like typing on them the key strokes are very easy and gaming with them is a dream come true (however it has not made me better, nothing can). After reading your descriptions of the different switches I had come down to red's or brown's. Found the K70 for $120 locally so I just said why not.

19. Gfxfyle

Gfxfyle Member

GPU:
    Radeon R9 290X
    I've had a Corsair Vengeance K70 for the past eight months, and its incredible. I'll be building another rig soon, and I'm buying another one of this keyboard, I love it that much.

20. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X

They are harder to find but I believe it is either the Clear or Green switches that are essentially a Blue clicky switch with lighter actuation force.

*edit*

Nope, I was wrong. The Green is like a Blue with a higher actuation force, and the Clear is like a Brown with higher actuation force.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014