The Witcher 3 Best Performance

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Raziael, May 19, 2015.

1. kandata94

kandata94 Guest

GPU:
    R9 280X DirectCU II
    Same story for me. With foliage to medium i can maintain 45-50fps, but the rain destroys my gpu no matter what settings i have.

2. b0uncyfr0

b0uncyfr0 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gaming XXX 1070
    Its constantly getting better and better for me on my oc'd 290x. Id say im getting +50 fps average with High settings + 1440p + SMAA + (BLOOM,DOF,HBAO+,Low Sharpness,Light Shafts).

Few things ive noticed : Using The unlimited option in game reduces hitching. So ive got Vsync on + Unlimited and most of the time its perfect.

Has anyone tested the 1055 dll's (with 15.7 base) in Novigrad? Im getting some serious stuttering which wasn't there before. Could be 1055 isnt optimized for Witcher in certain areas but overall: after more testing 1055 definitely gives more fps.

3. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    can someone post some fps comparison win8.1 vs. win10? I have the update scheduled for this 28th of the month but wanna be sure i won't be sorry.

4. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Some games don't perform great on Windows 10, like GTA 5. Compared to Windows 8.1 anyway.
    It will take Windows 10 to be released and AMD to then take responsibility for issues and game updates to improve things.
    I would update but don't expect 8.1 performance as of yet for all games.

5. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Some places are like that, and they are even mentioned in the latest patch's release notes. Don't judge the whole game by a couple of places that you can't maintain a framerate. I believe that the 32 rops are truly the limit in those instances.

I'm using the 1055 dll with a 15.7 base. No problems in Novigrad here. On the other hand I'm using the in-game frame limiter at 30. I'm sure it does more than limit frames, since it has reduced hitching for me. I believe it does things to the streaming engine too.

GTA V here is fine, with 15.7 and Windows 10. Actually it is better than before. I have to say here that I have cracked my game on purpose and remained on the 1.0.350.2 version.

6. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Runs bad here 1023.7 and 15.7

7. nevernamed

nevernamed Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 TI FTW3
    Yeah, I don't expect it to run perfect. But I do find it odd that in areas like this, dropping to low doesn't even bring it to 60 fps.. Dropping to 720, it gets CLOSE, but still struggles to maintain it.. Sort of disappointing... Does the 290x actually run this game on ultra at a near locked 60? (minus the hair effects).

I tried locking to 30, but it just drives me nuts..

8. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    You can go for ultra textures, SSAO, everything high, foliage distance medium. That should give you a locked 50 (except in those weird instances).

9. nevernamed

nevernamed Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 TI FTW3
    I've tried all sorts of combos, SSAO is definitely the way to go. but it seems with the rain, (which right now is all thast going on in the game for me), I can't really seem to get it to even a solid 50.

I was hoping there would be some .ini tweaks that could help reduce this load that seems to be dragging the game down. Its strange.. lowering grass to low has pretty much no effect on anything , but I find as I pan the camera upwards, as soon as the ground starts to disappear from view, the framerate starts to jump.

10. nevernamed

nevernamed Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 TI FTW3
    How do you lock to 50? I was doing it by setting the monitor that way, but is there a quicker/better way to do this?

11. tibbtobb

tibbtobb Guest

GPU:
    MSI 280x @ 1150
    You have to change your monitor to 50 otherwise you will get judder and tear. I play at 45 fps in demanding places but can change between 45, 48, 50, 55, 60, 65, 72, 76 fps at the press of a button with some shortcuts I made using display changer. It gets you some of the advantage of freesync. I'm using radeon pro vsync.

Me and others have found that using the frame rate limiter (lock frame rate up to monitors refresh rate or dynamic frame rate control ) reduces the input lag with vsync. I use the dynamic frame rate control so that I can change the frame limit without restarting the game.

12. nevernamed

nevernamed Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 TI FTW3
    ok I'll have to experiment more. I use the limited on RTSS @ 60 usually

13. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I use the Pre and Post Script function of RadeonPro, along with the 12Noon Disolay Changer utility. After installing it, I put the installation directory (usually C:\Program Files (x86)\12noon Display Changer) into the system's PATH variable so that it can be invocked from anywhere
    [​IMG]

My pre-script looks like this:
    Code:
    @echo off
    dc64cmd -width=1920 -height=1080 -depth=32 -refresh=50
    my post-script looks like this:
    Code:
    @echo off
    dc64cmd -width=1920 -height=1080 -depth=32 -refresh=60
    That changes the refresh rate of the monitor to 50Hz while you play, and then takes it back to 60Hz when you're done.

14. nevernamed

nevernamed Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 TI FTW3
    '

That is quite handy. you are a genius!

15. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The guys making the utilities are actually :p

I'm a lazynius. I just use whatever hard working people create :D

16. nevernamed

nevernamed Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 TI FTW3
    this is very slick and good advice..

do these frame rates feel as good and look as smooth as playing 60?

17. nevernamed

nevernamed Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 TI FTW3
    makes two of us.

18. b0uncyfr0

b0uncyfr0 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gaming XXX 1070
    Depends on the person. Some notice the difference, some dont. For me 50 fps is very close to 60fps and after a while i cant tell the difference. But if it dips below i can spot straight away.

So is the RadeonPro script above recommended over locking it in RTSS @ 50??

19. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    It's not only about the framerate, but also about the frame time. If you get a new frame every 1/50 seconds, then 50 fps is really smooth. If some frames take longer to render, you can get a very choppy expierence.

To answer you question. No, 50 FPS doesn't feel like 60 FPS, but to me it's smooth enough. 45 FPS seems to be the line for me. Everything under 45 FPS starts to annoy me.

20. tibbtobb

tibbtobb Guest

GPU:
    MSI 280x @ 1150
    Yep 50 feels pretty close, like you said consistency is the most important thing. I normally only change if I'm in a section where I can get 60 fps constantly with no foliage to render.

They are two completely different things, the script will change your refresh rate RTSS will not. You still need to run vsync. RTSS caps can be useful because in some games they help with frame pacing.

Another use of a cap like this is to use it with fullscreen boarder-less which uses windows 'true' triple buffered vsync not to be confused with 'common' triple buffering. Windows triple buffering can discard frames which means it has less input lag than triple buffering. It also has less lag than double buffered vsync if your running below your monitors refresh. However, it causes stuttering for me in this game.

Anyway remember to run the game in full screen exclusive if your not using Windows vsync.