The RTX 2080Ti Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Netherwind, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    DLSS reduces image quality though, thats why they compare it to TAA only.
    The image is rendered at lower res and scaled up, you cannot get back lost detail.
    You may do better with 2x1080ti using one for DSR.

2. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    True, but seems in some cases the lost detail is worse than the DLSS image. One review site did mention they did not have enough time and would investigate DLSS with more detail. Keep in mind the DLSS examples you see now can only get better as optimizations and the technique is experimented with more.

3. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Guest

GPU:
    Well I dont think it's even similar to traditional scaling. I think tensor cores can tell what have to rendered, and what pixels can be doubled without quality loss. 4K native + TAA in final fantasy looks much worse than 4K DLSS, and that's really something. With traditional upscaling you would never get even close results to 4K + TAA not to mention better results. FF15 with DLSS looks like 4K + SSAA to me, and on top of that game runs even faster than without AA, I'm blown away. Not only AA is free now, but also it speed up games LOL, that's insane.

4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    You will never get back detail lost by rendering at lower resolution though.
    Even DLSS2x wont beat the iq of DSR 4x.

5. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    DLSS2x is not rendering at a lower resolution and scaling up.

DLSS2x renders at native resolution and it certainly would look better than DSR 4x.

DSR doesn't look remarkably good, 4xSGSSAA looks better.
    DLSS2x approaches 64xSSAA IQ

Lastly, no reviewer has mentioned DLSS reducing IQ at all.
    I think you are underrating what AI can do.

6. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    TAA will look worse, its lossy. But so is DLSS, just not quite as bad.
    DSR 4x is not lossy, it exposes more detail while giving superb AA.

7. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Nah, I don't need a justification other than I want them.

What works for you does not necessarily work for others and disabling AA, for example, is something that I find incredibly noticeable and irritating.

It has nothing to do with 'knowing you aren't running with everything maxed', that's asinine (not you, just anyone who does that).

It's the same reason I would often drop down to 1440P (when there is no SLI support for example) because there are certain places that I won't compromise when it comes to visual fidelity (AKA disabling things)

I totally understand that many people are going to wait, and I think that is probably the prudent thing to do in a lot of cases, but a 4K/60FPS single GPU is what I've been waiting for so it's onwards and upwards ;)

8. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    https://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.php/artikel/hardware/grafikkarten/47377-die-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-und-rtx-2080-founders-edition-im-test.html?start=7

9. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    After reading several reviews, its pretty much what I expected. Ray Tracing is a very exciting new technology, but as with normal mapping, HDR, tesselation, etc, it may take 2-3 years before its really relevant. 4K is the big thing right now and the 2080 series does deliver on that, but the prices are extremely outrageous.

Shataan likes this.
  10. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    exactly why I waited for some numbers at 1440
    I am going to get a new monitor and i don't think my poor 980 could handle it

BangTail likes this.

11. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
  12. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    TAA is pretty much the modern standard for AA, If you take AAA games like battlefront/Battlefield/Rainbox Six Siege they don't even offer alternative to "TAA Low/TAA High".

If you look into game engines you usually have TAA as default for PC on Unity/UE4 while FXAA is also available.

Mufflore likes this.
  13. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Guest

GPU:
    http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/120751
    Here's interactive DLSS comparison

What's interestong some RTX benchmarks from star wars shows also 1080ti and titan v results, 9 fps on 1080ti, 11 fps on titan v, and 45 fps on 2080ti.

Also I need to say these benchmark results looks really strange. Sometimes performance difference even without DLSS is almost doubled and I wonder what's happening here.

On top of that there are even differences in the same game. For example depending on the benchmark location 1080ti vs 2080ti performance difference may look not that big, but in some more demanding locations that difference is much bigger. For example GTA 5, 87fps on 2080ti, and 55 fps on 1080ti.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  14. RainyMirror

RainyMirror Guest

GPU:
    PNY 2080Ti XLR8
    LG OLED
    I wanted something with good contrast and real blacks like my plasma, and this is what was available. I was forced into 4K because I couldn't find 1080p OLEDs, and I've been suffering since, because the upscaling is awful and I have to be native all the time.

15. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    DLSS does it's AI image analysis in a lower res, then applies what it learned from that to the hi-res final image. There's no upscaling.

16. BananaRepublik

BananaRepublik Member Guru

GPU:
    Galax RTX 2080ti
    I'm playing on a 65 inch Samsung KS8500.

17. Lemonking

Lemonking Master Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE 4090 OC
    so which Company has the fastest 2080ti sofar?

18. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    I'm clinging on to my 1080p Sony Bravia for dear life, I couldn't handle chasing 4k, I'd be crying my eyes out

19. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Sony TVs my friend, can't say enough good things about them.

Only brand I'll buy now where TVs are concerned :)

20. pimpineasy

pimpineasy Guest

GPU:
    1050ti/Rx570
    guys buy 2080ti so there more 1080ti pascal mid range nvidia gpus available on craigslist lmao. then we don't gotta wait for 3 years amd to release a card that cant beat it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.