Syndicate remake in the works!

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by harkinsteven, May 26, 2011.

1. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Finished the single player just now.
    Overall, it's a lot like most of Starbreeze's titles. Unique in feel, great visual style... but flawed.
    All of their titles (Riddick, The Darkness) fall in with this. They are great, but flawed in various ways.

Sadly, the same applies here. The story isn't bad, but after a while it just seems as if it doesn't care about moving the game forward and just seems to miss keys. As if parts of the story were written... but not put into the game.
    Player motivation and the motivation of other characters is the biggest issue with the story. It tries to hard to be technical and conspiracy fueled... that it trips over itself.

The gunplay is surprisingly well done. As that's always been an issue I've had with previous Starbreeze titles. Here it seems as if they've refined it a lot since The Darkness, and even since the coop demo on the consoles.
    Aiming and accuracy can be a bit iffy, mostly due to how different the engine feels in relation to other recent shooters... but it still works rather well.

As normal the first person animations are great, the execution moves are fluid and entertaining. And the FBA is handled very well (even if a few scenes look a bit goofy).

But biggest complaints...
    The lighting. While at times in the game the lighting and details look fantastic. The majority of the game suffers from "Battlefield 3 syndrome". Obnoxious and annoyingly glaring use of lens flares and bloom ruin what could be some fantastic atmosphere and visual vistas.
    An option to disable Bloom alone would do wonders to improve the look of the game.

Another issue... the limited FOV. Now, I'm normally not one to complain about FOV in games. While I do understand the annoyance others experience with low FOV... it doesn't bother me. I don't get headaches, or motion sickness... (only game to do that was Metro... but with it's FOV of 55.... )
    I have no issue with Borderlands setting. Or The Darkness II's FOV (verticle FOV of 45 = horizontal FOV of 65-70).
    But due to how Starbreeze handle FBA, the very narrow FOV makes things seem clunky at times. The ability to raise it even a little would do wonders.

And finally, the boss fights. While a couple are kind of cool, the rest are more tedious then anything else. Bosses fall into the "Deus Ex: Human Revolution" field of being "meh".
    With them taking huge amounts of punishment and firepower before going down, they just become chores instead of challenges.
    One that requires you to breach his projectiles back at him and never firing a shot yourself, was a lot of fun.
    Another that required you to set off EMP pulses to knock him out of cloaking... fun.
    But, the rest require either simply an obscene amount of bullets, or for you to breach their shield... dwindle down their health, rinse and repeat.

Also, for those wondering. The game is short. Surprisingly short for a Starbreeze title. Were Riddick and The Darkness have been very, very long and involving games in the past... I finished The Syndicate in roughly 6 - 7 hours.

I haven't tired coop, as none of my friends online have the game. And I'm not "big" for playing coop with randoms. Usually just becomes annoying instead of fun.
    But, I don't regret the purchase. It's a fun game, with a great visual style and some cool ideas. And, I mostly jumped on the purchase due to how much I enjoyed Starbreeze's previous games.

2. PearlChoco

PearlChoco Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 570 DirectCU II
    I just watched some SP gameplay trailers on Youtube.

Damn is it really as boring as it looks?? It's just like CoD goes scifi. All these dumbed down shooters are the same junk nowadays. Sad.

3. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    is there anyway to adjust the bloom in this game?

4. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    There's no option to adjust the bloom. The graphics options in the game are pathetic.
    Resolution, color depth, AA... filtering and v-sync.

5. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    yea i noticed that. what is the rgba 8 and rgba 16 for? all i know is when i set it to rgb 8 my gpu usgae skyrockets and my fps plummet.

6. zhengzhoudave

zhengzhoudave Guest

GPU:
    4GB EVGA GTX680 FTW 2xSLI
    Yeah, I've played this game for an hour now and while my pain is fresh I just want to say this game sucks!

It's extra lousy on the PC as the graphics settings are pretty weak and until it gets an update you wont actually know what buttons to use unless you're playing with a 360 controller, which you wont be because a mouse and keyboard are better! They may never patch that out? I'm still waiting for shift 2 to fix that, but it wont!

yeah 5/10 IMO really ****ty let down.... On PC at least!

7. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    What do you mean not knowing which keys to use? The game has gone with my keyboard remapping when using on screen prompts.
    Might be an issue of needing to unplug a 360 gamepad while playing if you have one plugged in.
    The Darkness II has this as well.

8. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    does anyone know of a way to disable the bloom entirely? It's pretty horrible.. I dunno how a game could be released like this, it to me is highly annoying and pretty much unplayable. The motion blur also is a miss.. no way to adjust it in game is pretty stupid.

9. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    there is no way to disable it at this moment.

10. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    This game was always destined to fail,i dont even need to play or even see it to know how generic and completely average that it is,its a disgrace to be labelled with the name Syndicate which is more than just a name,its product,i wouldnt even Pirate crap like this,i wouldnt waste my bandwidth or time tbh.Shame really as i could of been something special if the developers had stuck to the original formula and maybe taken a few risks...even so if its not broke then why fix it?.....Devs=Idiots.

11. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    R8G8B8 = 8-bit per channel color = 16 million-color. R16G16B16 - not exist because the videocard has only up to 10-bit (1 billion colors*). :)

* - 10-bit supports Radeon X1xxx or GeForce 8 series or better and LCD 10-bit or ANY CRT monitor (my CRT monitor 21" has 10-bit support because up to infinite colors :D)

12. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    It's the same issues I have with Battlefield 3's lighting. Obnoxiously glaring to the point of being annoying and not visually appealing.

13. zhengzhoudave

zhengzhoudave Guest

GPU:
    4GB EVGA GTX680 FTW 2xSLI
    I don't blame the devs - I EXCLUSIVELY blame the producers! It's the same in any industry from games to hollywood! Big heavy hitting high roller (or should that be steam roller) business's ****ting on the little guy.

It's just extra funny in this case because of the narrative of the game, lol

Jeez I really hope the future isn't like it's portrayed in this game, but it does seem to be leaning in that direction!

@Damien_Azreal - You probably have a good point! Though I don't use a 360controller my Logitech knock off was plugged in! Can't test that now as I have banished the game from my drive, but I appreciate your correction!

14. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    If thats the future then i'll have constant headaches from all the bloom & overbright lights. :p

Well, i forced myself to hold out a bit longer than an hour, but in the end i gave up on the SP, its just plain boring.

Combat is pretty basic but leaves you with the feeling the weapons don't do enough damage and all you ever do is to try to hit the heads whereas all the enemy animations seem to be made with this exact issue in mind - they just move their heads around so you cant aim for them easily - the rest of the body isnt really important.

...and all this breaching stuff - this should be something used when there's no other way, but no on every enemy wave.

And why can't i use close combat moves on those crystal armor guys? I had 1 area where i ran out of ammo and the only enemy still alive was this guy i couldnt even hit - what a BS!

Hope the coop is better. Otherwise it goes right off my HD.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  15. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    i already uninstalled. could of spent that $60 on a hooker and alcohol.

16. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    oh no is it really that bad ? i still havent played :(

17. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Lucky I didnt buy this through nostalgia!
    Real shame.

18. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    with the over use of bloom and being blinded all the time, i just couldnt take it anymore. hopefully they make it adjustable in a future patch, but as of now, im taking a break. i never did try the co-op because that just isnt my thing.

19. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    Bloom is annoying and gun combat isn't fun. 'Dark vision' is nothing less than a sorry excuse for a wallhack and i bet they invented 'Breaching' to shorten the fights a bit. If you dont hack someone's weapon or brain you need several minutes for 10 enemies because the guns dont do enough damage and enemies go dancing back and forth out of cover positions.

It's .... not my game really. Even DeusEx2 is 3 times more fun than this.

20. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Even if it was amazing i was never going to support the modern trend of turning every game into a FPS, certainly not at full price anyway, so quite glad that most people hate it.

Would it be worth it when it's alot cheaper? Or will it end up being another on the very long list of forgettable shooters.