Successor to Intel LGA 1200 will be LGA 1700, another processor socket for Desktop CPUs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    A lot of new pins, I hope they also increase the 16 PCIe lane business. At least 20 like AMD has would be nice, since PCIe SSDs are ubiquitous now, 24 would be even better.

3. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    1200 → 1700, quote the jump. I wonder what happened to the other 500 in between?

rl66 likes this.
  4. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Not just yet another new socket, but a yet another new socket with much pins!

cryohellinc likes this.

5. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Used for hardware mitigations?

Silva likes this.
  6. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    [​IMG]

sverek, Silva and barbacot like this.
  7. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Intel customers are used to needing to buy a new motherboard. The socket can be 100% identical or significantly different, it doesn't matter, Intel will require a new motherboard on principle.

fantaskarsef, schmidtbag and Silva like this.
  8. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Why do you think "intel customers" buy new cpu and MB every year?

Most "Intel customers" had they're cpu's for years, because it was good enough. :)

The best buy atm is Ryzen 3600 by far prize/performance. Gaming performance of this cpu is many years old. So if you have a "old" Intel cpu, there is no need to upgrade just yet for gaming only.

2019- the year everyone became professional videoeditors, just to find a reason to buy 12/16core Ryzen. Including me :D

butjer1010 likes this.
  9. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    And this is why the last time i bought an Intel cpu was when i could upgrade my sandy bridge 2500k to an ivy bridge 3770k. ive now had a r51600 and a r52600 and i plan on going to a 3600 if the 4600 isn't socket compatible but it looks like it might be, That's 4 series on 1 motherboard so potentially 3 wasted motherboards had i gone Intel.

Silva likes this.
  10. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33 Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 4070
    Was really hoping that Intel would learn from AMD's success here. The main reason I moved from Intel to AMD this year was the forward compatibility of the AM4 socket. After being stuck on Haswell for years with no upgrade path, it was the fact that I could upgrade from my new Ryzen 7 2700 to a 3000 or even 4000 CPU without needing a new motherboard and RAM which convinced me to move over - this is my first AMD CPU since Athlon 64.

If there's a technical reason to change the socket, then fine. But otherwise, AMD are only going to benefit from these cynical practices.

BReal85 likes this.

11. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    tr4 last only a year basically, even they promise long-term support for strx4 which i put my money into it
    AM4 -> basically is on end-of-life cycle this year (last around 4year)

intel keep changing socket for each release is dumb
    but to be fair ... except people that keep upgrading to latest hardware
    those cpu should last the cycle of any socket, considering most people upgrading like every 3~5years, no?
    in addition compatibility wont be perfect anyway, well AM4 platform tell those... X570 not support older CPU and not all X370/B350 support ryzen2 ... yes this still make sense rather than intel new-cpu-new-socket things, but i think u get the point

12. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    Remember when the few remaining Intel defenders shouted that X570 mobos are so pricey. :D Yet customers had (have) the CHOICE of buying a cheaper X470, B450, or even X370 or B350 mobo for the Zen 2 CPUs. If you want to buy the newer Intel CPU, no matter what you want, you NEED to buy the newer mobo too.

1. AM4 is said to last at least until 2020. This means that the Zen 3 CPUs will probably work in the B360, X370 motherboards too. So the AM4 motherboards will be valid for around 3,5 years.
    2. What do you get from an X570 mobo compared to an X470 or even a B450 mobo? I mean, get something means get something that is relevant and has advantages.
    3. You criticize X570 not compatible with older Ryzen CPUs. I ask you this: why would anyone buy a more expensive motherboard to put a cheaper and older Ryzen CPU in it?
    4. "not all X370/B350 support ryzen2" As far as I know, this is not AMD's fault, this is the fault of the mobo partners that don't provide BIOS updates to specific X370/B350 mobos. Yet, this is still a 3 generation old mobo for the newest CPU.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    Silva likes this.
  13. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Zen 3 (aka Ryzen 4000) will be AM4 compatible. Slides have shown it will stay on DDR4 and PCIe 4.0 (for server parts), so I see no need to change the socket now. Plus, AMD said support for the AM4 up to 2020 and the processor is scheduled to release this year.

14. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33 Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 4070
    Oh true, most people only upgrade CPU every 4 years or so. But I think for anybody currently on, say, a Ryzen 2000 CPU might see value in upgrading to a Ryzen 4000 when those CPUs become a little cheaper in 1.5 or 2 years time. It's imperfect but progress over the situation that Intel left us in. My ASUS PRIME B450M-A board was designed for 2000 series yet supports everything up to 3950X with 4000 support supposedly coming. That's pretty good going for people like me who have to upgrade on a budget and thus buying a new board is not trivial (that's why I bought a fire sale 2700 and overclocked to 4GHz rather than a 3000 series - on a budget).

I honestly just want Intel to compete with AMD to keep the pressure on AMD, and vice versa. We all win then.

15. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    This will have DDR5 at this point, that could be the reason behind more pins.
    Maybe triple channel?
    You do not add 500 pins just for feeding current...

Or maybe i m getting it wrong and 1700 is not the pin number.

16. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    hmmmm... let me guess...
    1 pin for extra voltage, 1 other for ground, 98 others for thing that is not yet set :) and the others because the marketing love the number 500 and think that consumers will bought a new motherboard only if there is lot more pin and not so few like in 1156,1155,1150 and 1151.
    I am joking but asside that point i really hope it wasn't really for this reason... weird isn't it?

17. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    - Old TR were a marketing mistake i think: price were expensive, it was just a Ryzen x2, not really pro, but not either really entusiast gamer, it was even attacked in house from other AMD production (high end Ryzen and the real pro CPU).
    The new socket and feature correct that and make the new TR it's own real place in the AMD's family.
    - On other hand to have seen a 8 core matisse on a B350, i am dubitative...
    The CPU work fine, but feel like kicking like the old Ryzen... i think i would have changed the motherboard too if i were him.

18. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    The YADS approach (Yet Another Desktop Socket) or maybe YAS (Yet Another Socket), YAS works better, it's a TLA. We like TLAs.

19. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    It says on text that the CPU is going to be rectangular in order to house two dies at the same time, does this mean Intel is going to bring back CPUs like the Core2Duo/Quad of the past??? I still have my beloved Q9550!

20. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I'm a little salty because back in the day I needed to let go of my i5-3570k PC for reasons, and I built this i5-6600k PC to replace it. I got like 10% extra power due to clocks, and that's it. There were two whole Intel CPU generations between those CPUs. I was, to put it mildly, disgusted by Intel's no progress. However, soon after Intel announced the Coffee Lake 6-core as an answer to Ryzen (remember that desktop Kaby Lake and Coffee Lake were released in the same bloody year). It had an identical socket, but Intel made it incompatible with Sky and Kaby mobos just for the lulz. If it had been compatible, I might have bought a 6-core Coffee Lake and been happy for a few years still. However, since it would have required a whole new mobo, I instead decided to wait a while longer for Ryzen to mature and then say good bye to Intel The Ingrate.