Strange and annoying Windows 10 issue. Please help me!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Smough, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    SOLVED: All Windows versions seem to have the same behavior. I tried another version on another partition and it had the the same behavior, so is not the O.S, its something else, could be the nvidia driver behavior. Anyway, thank you everyone for the suggestions, this thread can be closed now.

So I have been at Windows 10 1803 for a while, don't really know why, it just seemed like a good version to me, but in reality it had quite some problems, even with a clean install. Anyway, I decided to clean install Windows 10 1809.

But now I have some odd issues related to Borderless Fullscreen. First of all, a baseline: I reinstalled the nvidia driver and used DDU to be sure there are no problems, but still the issue persists. So here is the problem: Games at Borderless Fullscreen have worst framepacing or frametime than they had at 1803 on 1809. (I also tried updating the system to 1903, but the issue remained, so I just rolledback). I like to use Borderless full screen at some games because I feel they work better that way, not all of course, but some I prefer to play them this way.

I always measure frametimes with RivaTuner, on Widows 1803 at R6S (or any other game) the frametimes were perfect at 75fps@13.3 ms or 60 fps at 16.6 ms at Borderless, rock solid, never moving, without me needing to use any framerate limiter. On Windows 1809, this isn't the case anymore and the frametimes are just worse on Borderless, fluctuating from 13.1 ms to 13.5 ms (75 fps) or 16.5 ms to 16.8 ms (60 fps, v-sync on), I have no idea why. I have ran sfc /scannow twice and it reports no corrupt Windows files, somehow seems DWM is damage. As I said, this happens with any game at Borderless now under 1809.

I know I can play on Fullscreen or just use RTSS to limit the framerate to get good frametimes; but the thing is that I didn't need to do that before, so it means something is messed up and as I said earlier, I need Borderless for some games, I like them that way. Others do work better at Fullscreen.

Is it just me or an "quirk" from newer Windows version? Could anyone else try to reproduce this problem I am having by testing any game?

Please help!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
  2. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    Oke may I first ask why you choose build 1809 ? windows is at build 2004 19041.450 at the moment are you on LTSB/LTSC ?

3. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    This probably won't help, but I don't seem to have any problems with frame times in Full Screen Windowed/Borderless Full Screen in the games I play, but I'm on Windows 10 2004 with the latest updates and the latest Nvidia drivers (452.22 Hotfix at the moment). Also, I have G-Sync compatible with VSync enabled in Nvidia Control Panel. So I'd assume it isn't a problem with Windows 10 versions newer than 1803 in general, but every system configuration is different anyhow.

Are there any specific games you're experiencing this in?

4. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Yeah, Star Wars Battlefront 2 and Remnant From the Ashes have this issue, but even then, others present similar problems. Fullscreen is fine tho, so seems its related to Windows desktop managing. Also, if you have no problems, means its something on my end.

5. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Windows 10 Pro tweaked to remove all bloatware. Never liked LTSB/LTSC too much. As of why 1809, I read that it was stable and performed well, idk lol.

6. maur0

maur0 Master Guru

GPU:
    point of view gtx 570 1gb
    test my custon windows server 2019 preview converted to workstation, is in portugues BR but is possible install linguage pack after install

http://www.mediafire.com/file/4qc5p...iew_build_2004_convertido_em_desktop.iso/file

very low memory usage
    [​IMG]

Smough likes this.
  7. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
  8. notinterestinq

notinterestinq Member

GPU:
    You could use 1709 if you want to have a nice borderless experience as games will run in independent flip mode. I'm not sure but maybe 1803 and 1809 have different WDDM version this could have an impact too.

I think you can force WDDM2.4 by installing an older driver like 391.51 and below if your hardware is supported on newer windows versions.

Another thinkg to try is SpecialK. Can have issues with some games but you can force independent flip mode there and then either bypass DWM or just change some settings to have better frametiming and lower input lag but still using buffering to remove tearing.

Smough likes this.
  9. SatsuiNoHado

SatsuiNoHado Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti FTW3
    it is not windows itself totaly but NaughtyVidia drivers are developed according to the latest windows build ..month by month compatibility with the older windows builds is getting broken with newest drivers..so stay away from the later drivers if you are willing to use older builds..plus im supposing that you did NOT change anything as a tweak..especialy disabling gamedvr and gamebar completely causes instability in some games..

i see your posts around the forum that feels like you are searching for the ultimate responsiveness with stability..in the beginning researching comes fun but later you realize you waste your time for nothing...

Smough likes this.
  10. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Yeah, having issues lately to be honest, MS is just making things so weird. And no, I never disable the Gamerbar or Gamedvr, because as some paranoid users think this is the worst evil thing ever, some games with with FSO active do work better now under WIndows 10.

11. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    So, you are actually right. I tried 1803 on a secondary partition, I set it up, installed drivers, configured it, all the stuff I need for the games and tested a random game on Borderless. It had the same behavior I am getting at 1809, this was a clean install, totally aside of my 1809 one. So it's either something I am changing or simply, the new nvidia drivers changed something and made things different. At least I feel relief now, IT IS NOT WINDOWS, its nvidia or some other stuff, but good to know my O.S is working as it should. It's not bad, is just an unexpected change. One of these days I will install 2004, once its fully patched and without bugs.