Sony PS4 thread

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by WhiteLightning, Feb 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    a) again, can't imagine either taking up much power... and even if you're playing a game that doesn't use EITHER, the battery life STILL blows the big one. b) again.... less than a week <<<<< 5 Months. That's a pretty big jump to try to blame it on what the DS4 has that the mouse doesn't.

2. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    A mouse - laser led and clicky things.. like 3 of them on avg = less inputs/outputs to power.

DS4 - Rumble, Analog input, sixaxsis, wireless (blutooth at that), touch pad/click pad, d-pad, r1, r2, l1, l2, l3, r3, X, T, S, O, light bar and motion sense = 17 inputs/outputs or so to power.

Sure you not going to be using those buttons on the ds4 all at the exact sametime, but over even just a short playthrough of KZ or SS your are going to end up using nearly ever single one of those buttons multiple times.

Not that big of a jump.

3. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    DS4 is bluetooth as well instead of RF like the mouse, uses a bit more power.

4. bobekk

bobekk Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 VENTUS 3X
    u know that D/L speeds are limited when u are using PS4 right?(so u can play multiplayer games etc while stuff is downloading) I u want to download smth big (like game) switch console to standby mode and it will use all ur bandwitch :nerd:

5. bobekk

bobekk Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 VENTUS 3X
    when u dim lightbar u got apx. 81min more of battery time

6. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    It has nothing to do with limited download speeds. If so, the speed would be the same when hard wired. Which it's not. The wifi just sucks on the PS4.

7. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    This is why mine is hardwired.

8. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Loop what is your PSN id so I can add you?

9. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Still... you're talking about a device that is only really on and functional when the PS4 is turned on.... compared to the mouse that is pretty much always ready to do it's thing, and hasn't been "off" in months. And the mouse has gone through some pretty heavy use.... and for a while now i've kept it on Performance mode. Can't remember the last time i flicked the switch to Endurance.

And apparently it's been known since December that pretty much the main cause for the DS4 having about half the battery life of the DS3 has been the light bar. There has to be something else going on there besides just an LED....

As far as "using every button multiple times".... the only thing i can really see using much power at all (aside from, now, the light bar) are the vibration motors. And seeing as i've been playing nothing but FFXIV lately, they're not even used.

10. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition

11. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Loophole35

I'm easy to find.

BTW if anyone in here wants to add me feel free just let me know who you are in the friend invite.

SONY is pretty good about wheel support. I don't see them pulling a Micro$oft with the PS4 after the PS3 had stellar support.

I heard the XBone does not support the Fanatec wheels from the 360.

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  12. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    ..... The PS4 still does not have support for this:

http://us.playstation.com/ps3/accessories/bluetooth-headset-ps3.html

So i wouldn't exactly get my hopes up on having aftermarket steering wheel support anytime soon.... unless they really have a BIG announcement at E3....

13. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I sent you a friend request Loophole. My PSN name is the same at it is here. If anyone else wants to add me, feel free.

14. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I don't have anything to test with but if they are putting a racing SIM on PS4 and have GT7 set for the end of the year. I'd put money on pCARS getting G27 support day 1.
    Cool I'll accept it when I get home.

15. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Cool, but a mouse is so simple in comparison to a DS4, whats so hard understand and while you may not be using all the buttons on a ds4 for FF, it doesnt mean that the DS4 goes and cuts off the current to the touch pad or other not used inputs, they are constantly on and as such using power.

Does the fact that one of these
    [​IMG]
    have a longer battery life compared to one of these
    [​IMG]
    make you question the very fabric of the universe?

16. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    No.... but that's still not exactly helping prove your point. Obviously less connectivity = better battery life. But still... dumbphone = a couple days of battery life.... smartphone = generally a rough time making 2 days of battery life. But we're talking 5+ months on a wireless "gaming" mouse, compared to 4-8 HOURS. The DualShock 3 was even said to get roughly 8-13 hours of use before needing to be charged. And that was on a battery nearly HALF the capacity! So they nearly doubled the battery size for the DS4, but halved the battery life?

17. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Because its doing more than the DS3..
    You need to include everything with the tech going from a ds3 to a ds4. Its not just about how many buttons etc and if you are using them or not, its the software that runs it all, the extra data being sent to and from the controller to the ps4. Theres more of it, theres more things to power compared to a mouse and compared to a ds3.

The ds3 has a smaller battery because its does less compared to a DS4, your mouse measures speed and a basic calculation of the surface its moving on. Not only that but most mice will lower its energy use when moving at slower speeds. Mice are basically in a constant form of standy by, so no **** your mouse has a longer life span with a few simple batteries.

A mouse is simple, there is only basic data being sent to your pc from the mouse compared to a ds4 to ps4.

The phone example is a perfect... example of how it works. More features and more hardware that uses more power is going to lower battery life faster. The biggest problem we have with our tech is not so much about trying to make it smaller and faster, but finding ways to keep it running for longer.

18. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    That is BIG question from my point of view. Will the PS4 support the wheels that worked on the PS3? The Xbone does not support the highly expensive Fanatec wheels and this is a big slap in the face of the people that bought them. According to M$ it is because the Xbone uses different input method than the 360, that also used a proprietary input, hence the few and expensive wheels. But the PS4 is using a standard USB input I think so it is more of a question of will, than a technical issues. Making me buy a new wheel will really put me off from getting the PS4.

19. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Microsoft's reason for not supporting Logitech wheels is not that it's impossible it's because they (MS) choose not to. Logitech has spoken about this and their wheels support the HID input of the Xbox 360 but MS has to write the driver and release it.

20. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    Yes I know. They just don't want any third party controllers and this comes at the expense of the end user. No wander the Xbone is falling behind. If I was one of those who bought a Fanatec wheel with X360 support, I'll be very pissed and my 500 euro will go into a PC upgrade, where I can enjoy my wheel, instead towards their new console. Just that racing games are important to me. Sure most people don't give a crap :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.