Shadow Warrior - Reimagining

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Damien_Azreal, May 10, 2013.

1. orangewoolcry

orangewoolcry Member Guru

GPU:
    geforce 680 gtx
    i still dont understand , please , someone post a freakin autocfg.ini with disabled green outlines for objects, i beg of you , thanks

btw why these settings

pp_dof_enable "0"
    pp_blur_enable "0"
    pp_film_grain_enable "0"
    pp_glow_enable "0"
    pp_screen_blur_enable "0"
    pp_radial_blur_enable "0"

are they that bad , perhaps an after and before screenshot would be recommended

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  2. VagynaFinda

VagynaFinda Guest

GPU:
    evgaSC980Ti 1.5ghz 7.8ghz
    I never played the original but I just played thru the first act of the recent release and enjoyed it! The dismemberment sounds awesome on a custom surround sound profile I'm using! Sounds like I'm stirring a bowl of pasta in a gallon of gooey tomato sauce from multiple directions at once!

So basically, I guess I'm a new fan for obvious reasons!

3. spekgat7

spekgat7 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7950
    Press Ctrl + ~ (Ctrl + tilde key) to open the command console. Then type this into console and press Enter:

pp_dof_enable

It should say: pp_dof_enable = "0"

Provided of course that you have that command in an autoexec.cfg file in the game root folder.

4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310

I tried what I wrote above and it turns out r_draw_outlines is write protected so you can't change that.

However r_outline_intensity_1 (And probably 2 as well) were not so they can be changed. :)

r_outline_intensity_1 0

Using that command will disable the green glow around objects. :)
    (A value like 0.5 will decrease the glow and a value of 2 or higher will intensify it.)

EDIT: Neither _1 nor _2 seem to work for red outlines though (Locked objects.) wonder what controls those.

EDIT: There's a r_outline_intensity_3 command as well, maybe setting all of them to 0 would remove the color outline from objects?

5. spekgat7

spekgat7 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7950
    Like Jonas said...

r_outline_color_1 = 0xFF00FF00 = green
    r_outline_color_2 = 0xFF00FFFF = aqua/cyan (lightblue)
    r_outline_color_3 = 0xFFFF0000 = red

Default values:
    r_outline_intensity_1 = 2.0 (green)
    r_outline_intensity_2 = 2.0 (cyan)
    r_outline_intensity_3 = 2.0 (red)

So these 3 setting should respectively handle green, blue and red outlines if set in autoexec.cfg file:

r_outline_intensity_1 "0.5"
    r_outline_intensity_2 "0.5"
    r_outline_intensity_3 "0.5"

Or use zero or whatever.

And you have to do the F12 / F5 thing described in earlier post (to make it take effect in savegames).

PS: I don't really understand what this does, as I've never seen the problem in the game on my system.

6. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    When you walk up to a item it'll glow either red or green depending on if it can be used or not, similarly when you walk up to a door or other such interactive mechanism (Keypad, padlock, searchable drawers.) it'll also glow (Green or red is what I've seen so far.) so what was requested was some way to disable this outline, you can toggle a in-game option that will disable the glow on pickups but objects will still retain their glow and items will glow red when you get near to show you can't pick them up currently.

Thus I looked through the various commands and found a few that mentioned outlines, toggling them on or off didn't work since that command was restricted or "read-only" which means you can't set it from the console prompt or via the exec command so instead these three commands for setting glow strength were used as a workaround.
    (Since setting all to 0 will be the same as disabling the glow effect, I use 0.5 myself to lessen it slightly as it's pretty difficult to tell otherwise what you can interact with since not every door or chest can be opened.)

EDIT: Though I guess that since the console commands are now becoming more well known and a few such as setting the player's sword model can work around DLC restrictions we might see future patches that further restrict certain commands.
    (For now it's just some few regular commands - The two FOV settings for example - and all cheat related cvar's, rest is open for tweaking.)

7. orangewoolcry

GPU:
    geforce 680 gtx
    well f a buffalo , id worked , thanks!!!!!!!!!!! good riddance to those horrible immersion destroying outlines , i was like why in hell do devs need to pick up on crappy trends such as object outlines from l4d , jesus!, hard reset sure as hell didnt have this nor did painkiller , so wtf,

note to future game devs and any dev generally , its NOT a good idea, atleast they made the score popups optional , shouldve done the same with the outlines, anyhow now back to slicing and dicing da crap out of demons , wohoo!

and ill ask once again wtf! do these do and why should i care about these what are the benefits, and please some comparison screenshots for christ sakes

pp_dof_enable "0"
    pp_blur_enable "0"
    pp_film_grain_enable "0"
    pp_glow_enable "0"
    pp_screen_blur_enable "0"
    pp_radial_blur_enable "0"

btw before i forget , are there any texture or graphics enhancing tweaks , similar to most games where you can set the texture resolution etc ?

8. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The pp_* commands relate to the various post-processing effects, I kinda like them but many people dislike one or several of these and disable them, it's a matter of personal preference.

As for what they do I believe I wrote out what some of them did earlier but anyway.

pp_dof is the depth of field effect.
    pp_blur is one of the blur effects the game uses, I believe this is for the distant terrain or background.
    pp_film_grain as it's name implies is for the film-grain effect that some scenes use, basically a small distortion effect over the screen.
    pp_glow should be the bloom effect that many light sources utilize.
    pp_screen_blur is probably the same as the game option disable blur, might mean motion blur.
    pp_radial_blur I'm a bit unsure about, I don't remember quite what radial blur was used for.
    (There's a few others as well, it's interesting it has these different commands for toggling individual effects and also a command to toggle post-processing off entirely yet there's not many options the player can set to toggle the effects from the options menu.)

9. orangewoolcry

GPU:
    geforce 680 gtx
    yeah , i wonder if we can increase texture resolution and graphics as well as ive seen per these settings some things can be done apparently but dont work as of current?

r_fov 65
    r_weapon_fov 55
    r_mip_lod -0.5
    r_farZ 6000.0
    r_foliage_range_multiplier 4
    r_draw_water_ss_particles 1
    r_shadows_res 4096
    r_shadows_format 3
    r_foliage_scale_distance 0.05

, btw again , someone please post some freakin screenshots so we can see what these settings do and to what effect they either make the game look better or worse theyre advantages and disadvantages , i only remember duke nukem forever having horrible blurr wich was apparently dof wich again was only disableable per widescreenfixer app, or syndicate with its horrible bloom from hell wich is not fixable but somewhat reducable per enb tweaks

and ive just noticed no matter what i do after setting my fov to a value of 75 my fov returns back to 65,as soon as i restart the game, anyone else with this issue

10. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The FOV value resetting is a known game bug and will probably be fixed in the next update, those commands you posted are what I'm currently using but there's nothing special about them.

EDIT: I use them via a test.cfg file which I call in-game via the console command "exec test.cfg" although bound so I can just press a key (f5) to toggle it.
    (In the main game folder, with sw.exe and those other files.)

Oh and I tested it and as someone else recently said in this topic some of the commands do get saved to the user.cfg file when altered like this but not all of them so I keep the commands in both files just in case.
    (Pretty convenient that the commands save and gets used as default though, but yeah not all commands are stored like that.)

11. spekgat7

spekgat7 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7950
    Toggle

Sorry if this had been posted already, but I think I saw a question about toggle somewhere.

If you want to toggle Zoom and Crouch:

In this example "F" is bound to Zoom and "Q" is bound to Crouch.

In the game's "binds.cfg" file find:
    bind +f "+zoom"
    bind -f "-zoom"

And replace both those entries with:
    bind +f "zoom_toggle"

Find:
    bind +q "+crouch"
    bind -q "-crouch"

And replace both those entries with:
    bind +q "crouch_toggle"

12. MarkyG

MarkyG Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070Ti
    Awesome game, much better than I expected. Amazing visuals also. :) Who wanna some Wang? I do, more please!

13. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I played this game last night for about four hours up to part way through Chapter 7 (I can't believe I have almost 10 hours on the game), expecting it to have around 10 levels or so. I've found it has 17 Chapters from the Stats menu, which means I'm not even half way through it yet. I'm thoroughly enjoying it, especially looking around for secrets and whatnot. It's a reminder of how tragically linear first person shooters have become - most don't even bother with collectibles now meaning that single player replayability is poor. The combat is fun, even with guns, but the crossbow and especially the katana are what transform this game for me. They're just so damn fun and the amount of gore and carnage after a horde attack makes it all the more satisfying (there's none of the body disappearing crap here!). I still have not achieved a 5-star (or whatever they're called) rating; 4 is my best... and that was a fluke!

The level design is gorgeous as well not just because of the glorious Japanese scenery but because it actually uses... GASP... colour! I really wish the original game had been included with this so I could compare it to this new version as I'm curious about how much of the feel has been carried over. I did notice one in-game joke about chewing bubble gum, which was clearly a dig at Duke Nukem, but otherwise it feels surprisingly fresh and not like a decade old game at all. The humour is spot on, especially with the demon thingie (I also shot a rabbit and it turned black and attacked me!!!), the story is cheesy but cool and the single major boss fight so far was been challenging (I died once) but not impossible. Thankfully, the game resists having a predictable boss at the end of each second or third Chapter so far. There are plenty of things to upgrade too and the game keeps throwing new weapons at you just when you're starting to get a little bored of the current arsenal (I've just found a double-barrelled shotgun for example). Shadow Warrior is vastly superior to Alien Rage for example, which is sad reminder of how bland and generic FPSs have become.

My only gripe with Shadow Warrior is the poor anti-aliasing which can make some of the otherwise stunning scenery look a bit jaggy in the distance (buildings especially). The difficulty seems to be about right.

14. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    P.S. I also found a secret area which used pixellated textures from the original game! That is just so cool, loved it. :D

15. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    Ahh finally a post about the actual game and not console commands. Seems like a game I'll be getting, but on sale.
    @Darren Hodgson the original is free on Steam.

16. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Shadow Warrior Classic is free on Steam. Which is why they didn't include it with the new game, it's already out there for everyone.

They also released Shadow Warrior Classic Redux for ten bucks.

17. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    @ drandiiski - Oh right, thanks. I didn't realise that. Great stuff! :D

What is the point of the Redux version by the way? It looks pretty much identical to the original and is clearly, at least as far as the graphical makeover goes, inferior to the new 2013 remake.

18. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Same base game, redux works natively under Windows XP and newer however and the HUD is updated, plus it includes both add-on's and there's a included DOSBox build should you still prefer to run it from that. :)
    (And achievements of course, he he.)

19. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    Woow...
    i have to say, i didnt expect much from that game at all, BUT, i quite like it..Plays like something from the GOOD Old days, hehe..

And of course, THANK U JonasB and spekgat7 for the TweakINFOS !!!!

This is going to be a looooong Night.....

BetA

20. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I tried JonasBeckman's tweaks for draw distance and so on as an Autoexec.cfg file in the game folder - I just cut and pasted them into the file - during the second Chapter and noticed nearby grass lining the sides of the forest path popping in and out of view as I slowly looked around. The issue goes away when I remove the Autoexec.cfg file.

*EDIT*
    I mean these:

r_fov 65
    r_weapon_fov 55
    r_mip_lod -0.5
    r_farZ 6000.0
    r_foliage_range_multiplier 4
    r_draw_water_ss_particles 1
    r_shadows_res 4096
    r_shadows_format 3
    r_foliage_scale_distance 0.05