Shadow of the Tomb raider

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    So it's better that the crap we saw with Battlefield? I tried BFV with DLSS at 3440x1440 (maybe it's not designed for that resolution) and it looked like sh*t.

2. Archvile82

Archvile82 Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG STRIX 4090 OC
    DLSS is really good here but it could also be down to display quality, on a 55inch oled I was really awe struck by how good this particular game looked. PC has been blessed with many good looking games recently.

@Kolt HDR is stunning on an OLED, the 2019 range will be even better with 120hz 4k and VRR support. I don't have your issue however. What I do recommend is overriding colour settings in the NVCP to 422 10bit or 12bit ( you sometimes have to select twice for the setting to stick). Then I enable windows hdr and that gave me the ability to enable in game - saying that these are recommended for a TV. I'm not sure how HDR works for monitors.

I will say tomb raider hdr has one odd behavior on my display and thats when adjusting the hdr white setting the screen blanks out for a second. It's like it reinitilizes after each increment.

I'd say HDR has mostly been fixed since 1809 and the latest nvidia drivers. I don't mind enabling / disabling windows hdr when I need to use it.

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Don`t know whether it was posted or not

4. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Yes, much much better than what we have in BF5. I would also say it's better than Metro's DLSS. To be honest it's very hard to tell the difference for me and it's basically free performance that makes up for the difference of medium rays.

Check this out also:
    [​IMG]

Using RTX medium + DLSS gives same performance (on a 2080ti) than with RTX/DLSS off. Again though.. this isn't like the global illumination use in Metro so it's not really night and day of a difference. It's kind of like BF5 where the difference is there when you slow down and really look for it, although with medium not really taking a big hit and DLSS doing a good job here there isn't a reason to not use it. I guess the question may be in regards to if medium ray traced shadows is better than ultra non-ray traced.

Either way DLSS is staying on.

Edit; merged double post:

Sadly I can't force NVCP to 10bit as I only have an 8bit (+ dithering/FRC) panel. This might be the reason.. although It is HRD10 compatible it is not true 10bit. It works and looks great though so I'm not sure why it does this. I have tried forcing HDR in the Windows setting but it doesn't help. I know that in Metro I have to enable it in the Windows settings every time or it won't work at all.. Sadly though sometimes I just have to reboot for HDR to work. Not the biggest problem but it is an annoyance :/

Tomb raider blanks out for me when I switch the HDR settings in-game as well. HDR is so worth the problems though

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    Netherwind likes this.

5. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Delete me please (sorry)

6. Archvile82

Archvile82 Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG STRIX 4090 OC
    I personally feel HDR is a game changer, lighting looks much more realistic, broader range of natural colours.

I got a huge collection of films on 4k blueray and it really makes a nice difference. Dolby vision though subtle can look even better, unfortunately game support is flaky on my TV as DV only does 4k 30fps and its broke at the moment. You get a green or purple screen in mass effect andromeda. With HDMI 2.1 in the new TVs the extra bandwidth should resolve this.

eGGroLLiO and Kolt like this.
  7. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Metro Exodus or BFV seems have not optimized DLSS for ultrawide monitor ie 3440x1440, just tried DLSS in Metro Exodus and looks sh1t and very very blurry at 3440x1440

What FPS are you getting in BFV or Metro Exodus on yours RTX 2080Ti at 3440x1440 with Ultra settings ?

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

8. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Oh, that could explain the blurriness. I don't have EGS so I don't have Metro and my Origin Premium access has run out so I cannot test that game either.

9. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    A very good comparison video.

Dragam1337 likes this.
  10. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Yeah, it's an excellent video, and pretty much confirms everything i've said.

DXR shadow quality upgrade is minor (i actually prefer the sharp shadows of normal ultra) at a huge performance cost, and dlss is blurry and removes texture details.

You are better off not using either ^^

scatman839 likes this.

11. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    But..but..DirectX Raytracing its about light and not only bloody shadows. :)

The image quality in this patch of SOTTR its the same as none of Dxr.So Nixxes just wrapp some stuff,not implemented real Raytracing,like it is in Metro Exodus or BF5.
    Useless patch and better play this game with a little Reshade effects for Dx 11 gamers.

12. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    DLC 6 of 7 is out now:

Undying likes this.
  13. Seaclean

Seaclean Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming
    I wonder why I'm forced to download the DLC when I don't have the season pass.

In fact, I'm tired of this trend in PC gaming. You see this in most modern games - there's an update featuring newly released DLC that you're forced to download whether you own the DLC in question or not. Why should locked content occupy my HDD?

14. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Thankfully the update is pretty small at 3.2 GB of data for everything after 14 patches including the 7 of 8 DLC and that also covers the patch changes though by now there's not much for these.
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/750920/discussions/0/1770385542773163676/

Content should be the DLC, restriction on blue or green outfit criteria or the native is not going to talk to the obvious foreign woman trying to pose as a local would be the bug fix and various fixes is the copy paste included every time. :p

EDIT: Though comparably without the tombs of never-gonna-visit-these-places it'd probably just a few hundred MB at most.

15. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    4090 ZOTAEA /1080Ti
    05-04-2019] PC Shadow of the Tomb Raider Patch Notes for Free Trial patch 1.0.505 (Patch #15)
    We have just released the fifteenth PC patch for Shadow of the Tomb Raider, build 1.0.505 This patch focuses primarily on an update for the Free Trial.

• Added Nvidia’s Ray-Traced Shadows to the Trial Build
    • Added Nvidia’s DLSS to the Trial Build.

16. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    The final season pass DLC is out now, called The Path Home.

17. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi guys

Can someone confirm frame drops in The Hidden City "Paititi" with DX12, frame drops usually I experience only in Paititi or Eye of Serpent during open second gate when you need swim under water moving wheel where GPU power usage would drop just 30% and clocks drops to 1350MHz its only in this story mission

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    that usually means your cpu has become the contention point.

19. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    CPU usage is pretty low at 28-40% as max what I remember

Running 5960X with 4.7GHz and don't think so I'm limited by CPU and I do play in 3440x1440

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

20. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Tried that again on other PC where is 8086k with 5.1GHz and same issue with frame drops in exactly same location or mission, in both case running RTX 2080Ti

Thanks, Jura