Screw smartphones, i bought the new nokia 3310

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by StewieTech, Jan 1, 2018.

1. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Well, OP sure used smartphone but became worried.

There is reason of age. I grew up not only without internet but without mobile phones. I can live without smartphones. But of course now I don`t want to live without internet and mobile telephony. My favourite toy/fetish from youth days is computer and I stay with it. To me smatphones are not at the same level as PCs. They are mobile sure, but screen size, input methods are not for me.

PS And about productivity. For example my work as a programmer has nothing to do with mails and talking with co-workers (at least on regular basis). Even if I will see a mail on the road to work I can`t do anything about it because my tools are developer ones, and I can`t use them on smartphone.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    lucidus likes this.
  2. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/aliceg...-so-are-its-mental-health-risks/#372f463213df

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...81fd63f174d_story.html?utm_term=.8181dbf9ce56

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazin...the-smartphone-destroyed-a-generation/534198/

https://genomind.com/how-smartphones-are-impacting-future-generations-mental-health/

3. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Every one of those articles points to Social media, not smartphones. I'm not sure why it's so hard to separate the two. Like I said in my post above, I don't use social media and not everyone uses a phone for that.
    Like everything in this world, smartphones can be abused. Same could be said about someone who spends too much time on the computer.
    And to the argument of smartphones making us less social in transit:
    https://imgur.com/SoG7Yqh

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    scatman839 and lucidus like this.
  4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Phones are fashion items when it comes to high end devices, and regardless of what anyone may claim it's very much a case of 'look at me' when it comes to people upgrading to the next model. The excuse usually is that they need it because of better camera... You know, that thing that never produces images like they try and claim are DSLR like, through a lens that has fingerprints and dust on it. A device where the last model suddenly can't do what they want (use Faecebook, Twatter, Tinduh), that ends up being a toy for girls to put those fake noses on and make their eyes Japanese anime like, or women trying to make out they're younger than they are by following those girls. What about the guys? It's their way of buying a Lamborghini and driving it around in heavy city traffic in a vain attempt to hook up with that chick with the bunny ears and button nose.

That said, I'll probably upgrade this year but if I do it will be to a middle range phone that I feel is value for money. Also when a phone is several years old (Lumia 640 that I'm writing this with) it's more a worthwhile replacement. If the Motorola G6 Plus is a similar price to the G5S plus it's probably what I'll end up getting.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2018
    Keitosha likes this.

5. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Yeah once again. Stop putting everyone into the same category. People use phones for all different stuff. I own a Sony z5 premium myself. Most high end phone on the market at the time of buying it 2 years ago. Using it right now to type this. First 4k smartphone. No regrets whatsoever. Thing is ridiculously fast with a 8 core cpu and the screen is excellent and a lot easier on my eyes. There's nothing wrong with going for a midrange phone if you're on a budget but stop acting like us people who aren't on a budget are all a bunch of selfie obsessed social media addicted idiots. Sure there's some people like that but not everyone. Shees people.
    Seems kind of ironic that people here are arguing about smartphones lowering the populations overall intelligence yet this topic is becoming increasingly less intelligent.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The fact is, you bought it two years ago and are happy with it. My argument wasn't regarding people like yourself, it was regarding those whom bought an iPhone 7 and upgraded to an iPhone 8 because the iPhone 7 is no longer trendy. It is quite literally what Apple's entire business is based upon. If you look into it further, there are actually a big percentage of iPhone users who must have the latest who should actually be on a budget when it comes to their purchases. If budget wasn't an issue the iPhone X would have been successful, but their core market couldn't afford it. People who aren't so much on a budget etc go for different options, like you did with your phone which you went for because no doubt you liked the features, design etc, and not just because of the brand. Similar reason as to why I'm looking at the Motorola G6 Plus.

pimpernell likes this.
  7. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    I'm still content with it mainly because nothing better exists. If something significantly better existed, then I might consider upgrading. I never understood why anyone would buy an iPhone to be quite honest. So many better spec'd phones at the same or lower prices. But then again, the same can be said for any apple product.

8. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    So much enlightened free thinkers unconstrained by social pressures I feel I might transcend just by reading this

How can I be this cool teach me masters

9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    You better ask personally - that should increase probability of an answer. (All masters are humble.)

10. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I don't give a crap about social media. Twitter has its uses but it not like there's any reason to use it even weekly. My phone has no some apps - those just drain battery.

I can't quite live without proper navigator, camera, internet browser and enough space for those pics and music. I've been surfing the net with phone since I had Nokia 3510i (2002).

Also my phone is my portable (limitless) internet hotspot.

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
  12. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Aside from the odd WhatsApp messages, I do not use any social media. As some others have already said, it's a waste of time and I've no interest in it.

When I'm free I might browse some YouTube, surf the web or play some mobile games but no social media.

13. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    This right here. This forum. Is social media btw.

Forums just predate modern forms of social media, in reality it's little different

Just in case you all thought it wasn't for some reason