Sapphire RX 480 OC fans going nuts

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by newconuk, Sep 21, 2018.

1. newconuk

newconuk Guest

GPU:
    rx480
    Hey guys - Ive had this before where the fans start to go 100% for no apparent reason... can be just at idle on windows desktop.... pretty random... used to use Trixx - a sapphire support told me that there is a bug in that so I uninstalled it... that seemed to work for a while and now couple of days ago it has started again.

Have uninstalled drivers - clean install to latest 18.9.2 ----- have reset wattman..... temps currently at idle are 29d .... fan states 0%

anything to tried first - card is still in warranty... but works fine ... just the fans going nuts for no reason so im pretty sure its software but cant figure it out ?

2. pimpineasy

pimpineasy Guest

GPU:
    1050ti/Rx570
    current drivers are 18.5.1 and maybe find a program to make a fan curve if your manufacture doesn't offer for MB or card

3. newconuk

newconuk Guest

GPU:
    rx480
    going to revert to 18.5.1 to see if it fixes it.... normally just download the current when theres an update.... have tried Trixx and MSI afterburner.... it seems to work for a while - then they just seem to spin up for no reason.... looking in wattman and it states fan speed is 0 when idling ...

4. pimpineasy

pimpineasy Guest

GPU:
    1050ti/Rx570
    unfortunately, wattman like to conflict with most 3rd party apps an since it is not modular kind of stuck with it. yeah mine runs at 0 as well. but I got some gigabyte software that is forcing 35% HW monitor is a fair option if it works with your chipset. I think there is a open source version too not sure on its current status.. https://github.com/openhardwaremonitor

best option is to make a bios with better fan setting. or figure out some cmd line for amd I2C

…..
    https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/overdriventool-tool-for-amd-gpus.416116/

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018