Samsung Display Going Big With OLED - To Invest 8.9 Billion in OLED production

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Good lord, 9 billion investment. Well it sounds great, as OLED is a great tech!

However
    so still no Mass produced TV's / Monitors's? Or can this be interpreted as - 60% for phone market, rest for desktop / TV's?

21:9 3440x1440+ OLED + Gysnc + 144hz + HDR, Yes Please!

Actually does OLED include HDR or will it be a separate thing in future?

3. GxCx

GxCx Guest

GPU:
    burned
    not yet. there are four HDR standards at this time. they have to set up which one would get final standard. best of them is dolby vision 12bit processing HDR which is grade one standard. the rest are just hybrids, consumer fake. dolby used to have oled as top standart reference display but the HDR display PRM-4220 is LCD.

4. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    GxCx
    I see, thank you for clarifying. Well some time in future then.

5. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 7900 XTX
    That's true however two of them, HDR10 and Dolby Vision are main ones and will get wider implementation by being included in Blueray standard and having higher adoption.

6. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 7900 XTX
    I realy, and I mean REALY hate ultrawides.
    Quite a lot of older titles does not and will not support it, and as well for video it sux with all those big black bars on side. (plus 4K video does not even fit)

Even for game that do support 21:9, it's maybe ok for racing games, but really terrible in MMOs or strategies that put a lot of GUI elements on screen.

I would like to see some 37-43" UHD (3840x2160) with HDR, Freesync and at least 120Hz refresh rate.

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I LOLed when I saw headings...
    Few days ago I could not believe that Toshiba made 9 billion nuclear hole.

Now I see how Samsung invests 9 billion into something reasonable what I want. What has no foreseeable end in near future.
    This will likely mean that development of cheaper and better OLEDs is going to see investment too.
    And that means some VR boost. And another chance for OLED monitors, which I would love to have... 240Hz please or 480Hz.

8. GxCx

GxCx Guest

GPU:
    burned
    I think, or Im sure that film content will be delivered on Dolby Vision, mastered on Bluray standard and the interpreted on HDR10 via some LUT. It wont be accurate until they find out conversion, but this is deal between HDR10 and Dolby Vision. Games will be native HDR10. Im curious how this HDR standard will consolidate. Until full Rec.2020 implementation and its content its just a marketing halo. You can turn on the HDR on your TV but without HDR delivered content it will degrade the picture.

9. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    They should first ditch poor viewing angles (greenish and pinkish pictures even at little angles) and make good white

10. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    So i think it's safe to say we wont be seeing OLED Monitors for atleast another 10 years.

11. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    So maybe in a while Samsung will get that "imageburn" garbage under control. My wifes phone (galazy S7) already has an image burn from the lovely home screen that is standard on the OS itself. That beautiful google bar for searching on the phone has left a permanent mark on her screen. Which is of course garbage when considered. Heck even my father was trying to help me out with his old Galaxy S3 and his had mad image burns of a game he'd play on the crapper. Not even something that was going on 24/7, but it is bad enough for me to stay away from their cell phones.

I prefer (if I am spending over $500 on a cell phone) to keep it for a few years and as seeing these screens aren't going to last even a year I can hold off until things get ironed out even further.

12. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Its opposite for me.
    I hate 16:9 so much now. I absolutely love my 21:9 and have 1 game that does not support it and its Forza Apex.

Its very easy to get many older games working with 21:9 and most work. Its all personal preference. But even my non pc gamers friends love my 29 inch 21:9.

I don't play many RPGs either.
    My buddy has a. 23 inch 144hz Asus and a 25 inch 21:9 @80hz and prefers to play on his 21:9 most of the time and he plays nothing but rpgs and mmos

13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I can't say I'm surprised about this. OLEDs are perfect for devices like phones - they're extremely thin, durable, and efficient. When it comes to full-size monitors or TVs, the amazing contrast ratio and the ability to curve (where the latter is only good if the display is large enough) just aren't good enough for me to care about buying an OLED display. Besides, to my knowledge nobody has corrected the "blue issue". As long as that remains, a large OLED display just doesn't seem worth it. For smartphones, this problem is insignificant. Smartphone screens aren't on for long enough, and, smartphones tend to only be used a few years at a time before they get replaced due to damage or obsolescence.

EDIT:
    As for the preferences regarding ultra-wide displays, I too prefer 16:9 for media purposes. I actually prefer 5:4 or 4:3 when it comes to productive work, but, it's pretty much impossible to find any high-res monitors in those aspect ratios. So instead, I use a couple 16:10 monitors stacked on top of each other (which forms a 4:5 ratio), though, I think 16:9 displays would be a little better; 16:10 is just barely a little too tall.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  14. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Too bad the human eye can only see 7 billion colors

15. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Tetrachromat

You mean 7 million I'm guessing. Most people only see around 1 million colors but its fairly common to see up to 7 million colors.

Unless you are in the 1% of the population that is a tetrachromat then you can see upwards of 100 Million colors. Must be interesting to be a tetrachromat.

16. EarlZ

EarlZ Guest

OLED is great for blacks and no lightbleeds but the color uniformity it is still a hit or miss.

17. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    I love the OLED screen on my phone, i really love those deep black and saturated colours. I wish monitors would adopt this technology and keep up the standard.

18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    so they not gona do for tv's but there gona invest 9billon for stupid phone screens? if so they are gigantic dickholes

Were are my affordable OLED 32~40in TV's? where are my affordable OLED 24-27in monitors?

I guess I will see this when i am 50? the tech was only announced when i was like 19 i am almost 40 and still dont see its promise

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  19. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Keep in mind phones are a huge source of revenue for them, if not the largest (currently). Also note that VR headsets pretty much require OLEDs. VR pretty much just uses phone displays. VR is starting to gain some popularity, but it would get a lot more popular more quickly if these displays were readily available.

Also I'm not entirely sure of this, but I think I remember hearing that OLEDs get much more expensive as you scale up in size than compared to LCDs. And remember, they're not very good for long-term use (unless someone can prove otherwise).

20. Mega

Mega Guest

GPU:
    Club3D R9 290 @ 4096x2160
    just get OLED LG 55" like me. :)
    4096x2160p