RivaTuner v2.03

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by Unwinder, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=2403162&postcount=37

2. Voodoogamer

Voodoogamer New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 GTS 640MB 600/900 Flashed
    Keep getting "RivaTuner is currently active, install process will be aborted."

My installation keeps failing with the following message: "RivaTuner is currently active, install process will be aborted."

This install was attempted with the 203 version of the RivaTuner with the 203Drv.rtu file in the same folder.

This happens the first and every time I run the program. I've even tried installing in safe mode and with F8, and disabling Driver Signature Signing.

I'm running a clean install of Vista Ultimate 64bit and have no other programs installed. I've tried it with and without Nvidia drivers (including beta 163.44). I am the only user on the computer and logged on as the Admin.

I've read through this forum and it seems noone else has this issue.

My setup:

EVGA 8800 GTS 640MB
    Gigabyte P35-DQ6 F4
    Q6600 G0 not overclocked now
    Raptor 150GB RAID 0 (Vista 64 installed on a 80GB partition on this RAID, 200GB reserved for Games)
    Barracudas 500GB RAID 1

Any suggestions?

3. Unwinder

Yes. Don't install it.

4. Voodoogamer

Voodoogamer New Member

GPU:
    :help:

It is a great piece of software and have used it with XP Pro for a long time. I would really like to get it to work, so I can adjust the fan speed of the GTS, monitor temps, and OC while Gaming.

1. Is there a process running that is tricking the RivaTuner installer into thinking that it is already running?

2. Has anyone else been able to get this program to run on a RAID 0 with Vista Ultimate 64 bit?

Thanks

5. Gamergod

Gamergod Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870 512mb
    Unwinder gave that reply as he is understandably pissed off with people not reading the posts. You must have totally skipped page 2 and 3 and specifically my post or you would have solved the problem by now.

To save your spamming the thread, i will paste my post again. If after reading that it still fails, then god help you LOL!

6. Stranded Witch

Stranded Witch Member

indeed? then your reading was poor.

7. Majestic

Majestic New Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX
    How do I make the RivaTuner G15 LCD display to work? All I get is just the RivaTuner logo, and nothing else.

8. Unwinder

9. Voodoogamer

Voodoogamer New Member

GPU:
    Really,

Find me where it says this exactly in any post and I'll send you $5 via Paypal. If you can't, then you can send the same to me or take up reading classes yourself. This is what I was looking for, which was from my original post, that you supposedly read:

My installation keeps failing with the following message: "RivaTuner is currently active, install process will be aborted."

Gamergod, I have read the whole post, and I did see your solution on page 3. I appreciate your help, and I'm sure other people were helped by your post. However, I am not getting an "unsigned driver error" and, no, I have not installed RivaTuner on this machime before.

I get through these steps:
    1. Select a language, 2. "Welcome to ..." NEXT", 3. 'I accept...", NEXT 4. Location (let it default to ...x86\RivaTuner v2.03 NEXT 5. Choose start menu folder INSTALL. 6. Then I get the error that it is currently active, which is what I don't understand. In the taskmanager, the only thing active that is related is the RT installer itself.

10. sucram65

sucram65 Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GTS 640MB SLI
    I tried this and it worked perfectly. Rivatuner 2.03 is functioning properly now.

11. Unwinder

I've finally got Bioshock installed and was able to reproduce it. This effect is a result of multithreaded Bioshock rendering engine implementation. The problem is most visible when you're running D3DOverrider in conjunction with something like FRAPS, RivaTuenrStatisticsServer. Both D3DOverrider and RTSS are protected against possible deadlocks with race condition prevention algorithm, which means that they stop intercepting frame rendering as soon as they detect that something else is trying to intercept rendering process. With Bioshocks multithreaded engine councurent flips may occur so one of simultaneously running tools (D3DOverrider or RTSS) may quit overriding frame rendering in this case.
    Currently I see no 100% correct workarounds for it. But I'm still analyzing it and thinking.

12. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Unwinder

I'm using 2.03 and I find now that in 2 games I play recently will minimize to the taskbar when I press my OSD hotkey. This happened once before when you were helping me to get my 7950GX2 to show both temperature in the HM. You knew what the trouble was and fixed right away.

My question is .....is this back or is something most likely wrong on my end?

The 2 games I have only been playing are Bioshock and the new MOH:Airborne.

BTW, I have not tested 2.04 because the changelog really doesn't impact my system anyway.

Thanks.

13. eRa`

eRa` Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 570
    Anyone else noted overclocking issues with the new 163.67?

The maximum overclock I can achieve now is 594 Core/864 Memory, bumping the slider above that values does not effect anything. With older versions I was able to get far beyond 600 core clock.

14. Unwinder

Nope, not back, the server still precaches 3D runtime info an it has not been changed in the last versions. I don't know what's wrong on your side, sorry.

15. Unwinder

Overclocking interfaces in 163.67 are completely different comparing to old drivers:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=2418671&postcount=22

Revised internal stress-testing can be easily implemented there too.

16. Rys

Rys New Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MiB
    Make that two people with the same issue, where the installer fails after choosing the install directory with the message, "RivaTuner is currently active, install process will be aborted."

I don't have RivaTuner installed or running, although it has previously been installed on my system (unlike Voodoogamer). I've spent most of the day browsing the RT forum just to make sure it hasn't been fixed already, because I know people don't like people that can't use the search function, but I can't find a solution. Like Voodoogamer said, it's not the exception throwing crash because the driver isn't loaded, because the update wasn't applied because there was a space in the pathname bug. I can't even get that far anymore.

17. Unwinder

And I repeat once again that the only workaround for both of you is not using RivaTuner. Plain and simple. I don't know what is wrong with installer shell, I've not changed installer script for years and there seem to be some internal issue with NSIS installer script compiler shell used to build 2.03 installer.
    2.04 upgraded to new version of NSIS, but I've no ideas if it fixes the problem or not. The only thing I can do from my side is providing an optional ability (via registry, .INI or something like that) of disabling RT instance checking in new installer. The rest things are beyound of my control.

18. Rys

Rys New Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MiB
    No using RivaTuner would suck, though ;)

Some more data for you. 2.02 installs fine, and if I don't uninstall it before running the 2.03 installer, the 2.03 installer runs correctly too. If I uninstall 2.02 first, the 2.03 installer fails.

I'm sure 2.04 will be fine, looking forward to testing it, thanks for all the hard work.

19. Unwinder

Anyway, currently it is the only solution.

Thanks, but I don't think that I can use it anyhow. Instance checking is done (or at least should be done) by NSIS shell by searching for window with "RT" tittle in the system during installation. That doesn't depend on installed/uninstalled previous versions etc. Seem to be some odd glitch in the script's installer processor.

20. Unwinder

Well, I've just added compatibility switch to 2.04 installer script. If upgrade from NSIS 2.2x to 2.30 won't solve the problem, you'll be able to use it to disable RivaTuner/RTSS/D3DOverrider instance checking during installation by adding the following key to the registry:

Code:
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Unwinder\RivaTuner\Installer]
    "NoInstanceCheck"=dword:00000001