Review: That ASRock Threadripper - the X399 Tachi

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    It is time for a bit more threadripping as we review the ASRock X399 Tachi. This stylish AMD Ryzen Threadripper motherboard is available for 349 USD / 369 Euros and might be an attractive offer for th...

Review: That ASRock Threadripper - the X399 Tachi

2. MainFrame Alpha

MainFrame Alpha Guest

GPU:
    Strix GTX 980 TI
    As always great review straight to the point :) thank you Hilbert for the time and effort.
    not bad from ASRock, but as you said wi-fi is a disappointment, and pricing need some rethinking....the good thing is game patches and performance increase, impressive really. starting to put a budget togather for my very long over due upgrade :rolleyes:, hopefully by the release of the 1900X and when ever TR4 products Mobo+CPU are available here!! "fingers crossed"

3. eddieobscurant

eddieobscurant Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 6950 2gb
    first page, second paragraph , you mention gigabyte instead of asrock

edit: from the pics, it looks like you fired up the mobo without actually securing the 960 pro with a screw. Is that safe?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Yeah that was already corrected, thanks for noticing.

5. Herem

Herem Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    @Hilbert Hagedoorn the CPU-Z graphs on page 13 haven't been updated to include the X399 Taichi results.

6. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Cheers, updated.

7. Herem

Herem Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    @Hilbert Hagedoorn There's also something a little bit funny on page 25 about the WIFI results.

Firstly there seem to be some discrepancies regarding the speed of your connection between the Gigabyte and Taichi articles.

In the Gigabyte X399 article you wrote:
    The motherboard makes use of an Intel Wireless-AC module that offers a maximum of 867 (AC 5 Ghz) Mbps. A few quick test runs show really impressive results actually. Our AC/5G connection is at roughly 520 ~ 780 Mbps.

Whereas in the Taichi article that sentence now reads:
    The motherboard makes use of an Intel Wireless-AC module that offers a maximum of 433 (AC 5 Ghz) Mbps. A few quick test runs show really impressive results actually. Our AC/5G connection is at roughly 250~325 Mbps.

Then both articles state:

Obviously WIFI is not nearly as fast as wired Ethernet as many factors like error-correction will bring down that speed. Above, you can see my ISP internet connection bandwidth, rated at 300/30 Mbit/s. We achieve almost full bandwidth. Below, we are copying a huge compressed file to this test PC through the air.

Looking at the Gigabyte article this seems to be true:

[​IMG]

But looking at the results for the Taichi motherboard the performance seems to be nowhere near the full 300Mbit/s bandwidth of your internet connection.

[​IMG]

Was the performance really this much slower on the Taichi compared to the Gigabyte as this would pretty much be a deal breaker for me?

8. Pixo

Pixo Member

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE R9 290 TRI-X OC
    What about ECC RAM support or ability to select boot GPU?

9. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA

No, that is correct the Taichi has pretty poor WIFI, as I mentioned on that page and in the conclusion.

10. Herem

Herem Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    Sorry I hadn't got to the conclusion of the article at the point I wrote that.

Should the sentence 'We achieve almost full bandwidth.' be modified in the Taichi review though? The board is getting nowhere near full bandwidth, and it was this combined with the different speeds listed for your AC/5G connection which were a bit confusing.

11. jststojc

jststojc Maha Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte gtx285
    SO would you say the cpu overclocks better on this mobo? I see it needs much less voltage for 4.0 than compared to lets say a normal ryzen 7 (1.325 compared to mostly 1.4v almost)

12. Kaill

Kaill Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
    So between the Tachi and Fatal1ty X399 Professional Gaming what is the major difference other than the Lan ports.

Edit: so I looked at the compare of the 2 the differences I can find is 10gig LAN port on the pro gaming, ASRock F-Stream for software a - 1 x COM Port Header in connectors, in audio it has - RGB LED and supports - Supports Creative Sound Blaster™ Cinema 3 while the Tachi supports - Supports Purity Sound™ 4

second edit: and the difference in price on newegg the X399 tachi is $339.99 which $100 cheaper than the Professional which is at $439.99.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  13. screwtech02

screwtech02 Master Guru

GPU:
    6900 XTU
    Can you raid 2 NVME drives on this board/chipset?