Review: HP EX920 1 TB M.2. SSD - Super fast TLC perf with the new SM2262 controller

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    HK-1 likes this.
  2. HK-1

HK-1 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580 Power Color
    Hi H.H. thanks for the heads up wow fantastic article and test too I hope that someday I can buy one for me :)

3. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Excellent! SSD reviews here are always top notch. Not sure I would use the word excruciating though as its leans more towards the negative (ie, painful, tortuous, etc). Was almost expecting disappointing performance. :D

4. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    So was I alanm

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Hmmz, Excruciating fast then ? :)

Koniakki and alanm like this.
  6. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    I might point out that people who are heavy web browser users actually write a LOT of data per day to their SSDs, I can Easily hit 30 - 40GB day of writes just from my web browser.

That is from a mix of sites like this and other news sites, ebay + amazon and other streaming sites.

I have my temp internet files on a RAM disk to save some writes and am still in the high 28GB a day of writes. (browser downloads go to a mech HDD)

7. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    Even 100 GB /day on a 1 TB drive means barely one drive write per 10 days.
    Assuming TLC only "survives" for 1000 rewrites (and in practice it has been proven with several tests that they can last much longer, 2500 rewrites and up), that is still 10.000 days of operation..... or 27 years.

Considering how fast these things evolve, I don't really think any drive of today will still be in use 10 years from now, let alone 27 !

I think it's time for people to stop worrying that much about SSD endurance.

8. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Well many endurance tests we've seen so far have way surpassed the likely lifespan of typical SSDs. Even if 50gb/day would get you more than 10 years service easily (past the SSDs obsolescence point).

wavetrex beat me to it. ;)

9. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/excruciating

"causing great pain or anguish"

I don't really think that such great speeds are causing pain. Actually, they might be causing pleasure ... geeky pleasure ;-)

Perhaps rephrase that title.

:)

I'd like to add, after I switched from Sammy 850 EVO to 960 EVO (from SATA to M.2) as my main drive, the 850 EVO got repurposed for torrent downloads. YEP, I'm torturing it with lots of I/O on a fast 400mbps connection every time I'm grabbing something from somewhere.
    After half year, it's still at 99% "life left".
    By the time it reaches 20% I'll probably be in my retirement years...

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  10. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    Yeah those are nice points. I've heard some SSDs make around 9PB of writes before failing.

I was partly wondering how these newer process reduced write drives might hold up and if writes might end up being something to take more care of again.

On my Samsung 850 Pro 512 I have essentially stopped worrying about the issue. I had been about to move the browser save states (what eats the most writes) to a backed up RAM disk but never bothered implementing that after hearing of SSDs achieving about 9PB of writes lol

Excruciating can work for excessively fast though for sure, like edge of your seat, nail bitingly fast !

11. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    I quote a bit off HH's conclusion:

"Nearly 10 years ago in 2008 that we reviewed the first SSD. It was 32GB and would cost you €280.76. The read performance was ~150MB/sec at the time, which was just staggering. It had no cache and connected to a regular SATA connector. How things have changed from that ' blisteringly fast' 150 MB/sec towards numbers that are 20 to 30 fold of that whilst offering more capacity, reliability, endurance, and performance. "

Perfect sum of how many of us I believe feel and why we love what we love about technology or the industry in whole and why we find it so interesting, especially witnessing it's evolvement.

Same here. On my 950 PRO 256GB I got 14,371hrs(598.8 days) of operation with ~15,7TB writen so far.

That comes out at about 26,2GB per day. Heavy chrome user I admit. Sometimes up to 400-500+ tabs.

No judgment pls. :p

LOL

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  12. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    Silicon Motion is usually among least survivable.
    https://3dnews.ru/938764/page-3.html

fOrTy_7 and Koniakki like this.
  13. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
  14. fOrTy_7

fOrTy_7 Guest

GPU:
    N/A
    Well, not really.

You assume that write/erase cycles are distributed equally among all NAND cells,
    which is not the case. Some cells get more write/erase cycles than others and they will ware out eventually.
    And you have only a small amount of spare cells available. Think of it as reallocating a sector on classic old hard driver. You can have a few bad sectors on the hard drive, but if your spare limit expires every new bad sector will mean random data corruption. Same applies for SSDs.

That being said and this point of tech most SSD will easily surpass the life-span of a classic HDD.
    But you should still watch out for apps / processes that make trash writes to SSD.
    Also keep in mind that SSD firmware will move data by itself to even write/erase cycles among all NAND cells. But it's efficient only to some degree of course.

15. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    Thanks also for sharing that, a useful resource. Some SSDs have really pretty low endurance still it seems including some quite new ones.

Nice to see they haven't broken their 850 Pro 256GB yet at currently nearly 6PB of writes :)

Though their 850 EVO only managed 2.6 PB which is still pretty amazing. (I have 2 of these in my laptop in RAID 0)

Hehe, so easy to do, am at even more than that myself. Too many active fields of interest and research ^^

16. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    From that russian article:
    Wow. 960 EVO @ 250GB...

Declared resource 100 TB
    Endurance by test results 6089 TB

During the testing of the Samsung 960 EVO, its flash memory was overwritten more than 25,000 times.

Simply unreal !!!

My 960 EVO (which is a 500GB) is now at a measly 5.3 TB :)))) Not even "scratching the surface" yet.
    So happy to see these things are becoming so incredibly reliable !

Sad news however about some crappy brands that barely hold 500-700 rewrites, but hey, people get what they pay for !

17. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    @Hilbert Hagedoorn

Thanks for the review, do you mind posting a full screenshot of atto?

Curios on the really small file size performance.

18. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Will these guys ever drop to somewhat humane prices? Looks absolutely awesome.

19. ChinStrap

ChinStrap Guest

GPU:
    Vega 11
    Newegg has the 512 version right now for $175.

pretty good price