Review: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X processor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Death_Lord

Death_Lord Guest

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 GTX 8GB
    The First thing I though when i saw the game benchmarks was SMT, new cpu, new architecture, im pretty sure most games are thread driven, so if the order the SMT cores on the queue is wrong it might make games use 2 core threads and 2 SMT ones, making games run much worse.

The review was great btw, I have wait a long time for AMD to come back, i guess is time to get myself a 1700x!

2. moaka

moaka Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  3. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Looks like you got a busy couple of weeks ahead of you there boss.

4. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Fantastic chip, gaming performance at 1080p certainly doesn't line up with what this processor is pulling off elsewhere. Let's hope it's an easy fix.

5. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
  6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    It was 140w for the entire system. I don't think HH has a way to accurately read the wattage of just the CPUs themselves.

But otherwise I agree, this is better than I expected too.

In some ways I'm glad the 5 series and X200 boards are delayed, because by the time they're released AMD should have the memory issues addressed. Memory seems to be the #1 problem with Ryzen. If AMD did triple or quad channel and allowed for 3200MHz memory from the start, this CPU would probably go from "great value" to "top pick".

As for those of you thinking the overclocking is a bit weak, keep in mind HH has a tendency to test safe overclocks that anyone should be able to achieve given you don't cheap out on things like your PSU or cooling. I've noticed that HH doesn't have a tendency to really push the OC to its limits in his reviews, because that would be misleading and would take way too long to test.

7. KingK76

KingK76 Guest

GPU:
    Pascal Titan X Under H2O
    Easy now friend... Your "fanboi" is showing. And it's not a good look. Anyway, I agree with Hilberts assertion that this is a great value chip, but not excellent. There are still many Intel chips that beat the 1800x in some synthetic and just about every gaming benchmark. Until AMD can surpass Intel in areas that most of us are buying it for then it is exactly what Hilbert said it is... A Great Value. I have never understood how some people's "brand loyalty" so heavily clouds their perspective. It simply isn't logical. Anyway great review Hilbert.

8. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Thank you for such a wonderful in depth review Hilbert , as always great job , top notch .
    Cannot wait to get my hands on mine :D , i like what i see !

9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    That looks rather good, not much in it (7700k still faster in more titles) and that's a 5ghz 7700k. Interesting.

10. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    Looks like I'll be replacing the CHVF+FX8320+DDR3-2400 with an CHVIH+R7 1700+ 16GB DDR4-2667 = $1147NDZ

Great review too HH plenty of meat to chew over in the results

11. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    I game at 1440p, so I am happy with these numbers... though I really want it for 8/16. Excited to see the 1700x and 1700 results. Feel better soon HH!

12. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    That's what I'm betting as well, it'll probably be optimized with some a download or two.

13. madagent

madagent Maha Guru

GPU:
    Voodoo
    I think we will see it there. In my experience, I've gotten faster overclocks by leaving it for a few weeks before raising it again. CPUs need sometime to get used to the increased heat. And of course some people might get a lucky chip or an unlucky one.

And he had voltage set to auto. You can tweak that to get higher speeds.

Also, motherboard support is not where it should be yet. That is a big difference in OCing.

14. elijahk33

elijahk33 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 380X
    @Hilbert

disabling SMT from bios should put gaming performance level to where i7s are.
    This makes me think either games or cpu microcode are not fully optimized for smt yet.

15. AvengerUK

AvengerUK Guest

GPU:
    Titan X (Pascal) EK-WB
    Other reviews have given results with SMT on and off. Off does give a slight boost, but it's still far too behind in gaming.

Which is strange given the rest of the results.

16. Odellot

Odellot Guest

GPU:
    TUF RTX 4090 FO48U
    Great Review...It looks like my 6950x still performs good vs Ryzen...

17. elijahk33

elijahk33 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 380X
    right, it's still behind even if it's measurably better with SMT off

18. AvengerUK

AvengerUK Guest

GPU:
    Titan X (Pascal) EK-WB
    Indeed.

It's very good in everything BUT gaming.

Happy I got my 7700k now, but Im even happier that AMD are back, and hope that either with FW/Drivers/Zen+ that gaming is improved (my main usage)

19. Sempaii

Sempaii Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 2070
  20. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    It isn't bad in gaming, it's just starving for memory bandwidth.

I think if the Zen 2000 series could breach 3000MHz RAM and got triple or quad channel memory and did nothing else, it would probably top the charts. Ryzen seems great but those memory benchmarks showed how much lost potential this CPU has.

I suspect the Ryzen 5 series and lower will be less impacted by the lack of bandwidth.