Review: ADATA SX8000 M2 512 GB SSD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    chispy likes this.
  2. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    A lower speed drive like this would be perfect in a 2 or 4 tb capacity for the best price/storage size/footprint ratio.

3. Taint3dBulge

Taint3dBulge Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    I kind of wonder what kind of latency there is between m.2 msata and a normal ssd. Also m.2's like the samsung pro vs the sx8000. Is there any tests that can show this Hilbert?

Just picked up a mSata for my evga z97 Classified. I have a 500gb Samsung 850evo ssd and now a 1tb msata 850evo. While some tests show the SSD is faster, i can tell you that putting my pagefile on the msata and my games. well everything seems to load faster. Might be puting my OS on the msata too since it does feel way snappier.

4. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    I used to have a Plextor M.2 NVME drive and while using it I didn't really feel it faster than the previous Samsung 840 EVO,
    what happened is that when it broke and had to returned for warranty, they gave me back my money (apparently wasn't in stock anymore).

So I bought a Samsung 850 SATA which I still use today. The system, while very fast... it's just not "as fast". It feels more sluggish than with the NVME drive.

I'm guessing it's similar with going from 60Hz monitor to 100->144Hz monitor, you don't really feel it faster initially, but then when you look at a 60Hz screen again it just feels sluggish. You can't go back.

~~~
    So I welcome more competition in this area, because the next NVME drive I buy should be at least 1 TB, and I don't want to pay an arm and both legs for it...

5. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 12gb
    Great review H , and very relevant to me atm ,since getting shut of my SLI i now have spare PCIe lanes and been looking into purchasing a 500gb M2 PCIe ssd .

6. Can't wait to see the sx9000.

7. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Great review and a good read as always Hilbert , thank you. Nice little unit and with a tiny heatsink to boot too , every little helps :D . I'm looking forward to better pricing per GB before i jump on the NVMe wagon as i am doing good with my 1TB Crucial MX 300 SSD Sata 3 so far , until the prices of nand settles i will rock Sata 3 ssd.