Radeon HD 4850 Heat issues

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Cartman372, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Moooze

Moooze New Member

GPU:
    ATI HD4850
    hi every body,

Ive got my 4850 yesterday, its running at 80c, I fixed my profile XML file as described

<Feature name="FanSpeedProtocol_0">
    <Property name="FanSpeedProtocolProperty" value="Percent" />
    </Feature>
    <Feature name="FanSpeedAlgorithm_0">
    <Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value="Manual" />
    </Feature>
    <Feature name="FanSpeedRPMTarget_0">
    <Property name="Want" value="0" />
    </Feature>
    <Feature name="FanSpeedPercentTarget_0">
    <Property name="Want" value="70" />
    </Feature>

, when loading the profile nothing happens, which means no fan speed change & no decrease in temp, plz advise any possible suggestion or any associated solotion.

thx

2. Estima8tor

Estima8tor Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW
    You guys need to unlock overdrive first. Create a profile and make sure you check the box below that says "all Catalyst Control Center settings" then click "save" then click "activate and close". Go and edit the fan speed in the XML file you created and save.

Go back to control panel and click on the profile drop down arrow and activate your profile.

You should then hear a god awful noise coming from you rig - thats your fan - :approval: - :3eyes: - :mad3:

3. Moooze

Moooze New Member

GPU:
    ATI HD4850
    hi Estima8tor thats exactly what I've done, I don't understant no change on the speed fan neither the temp.

thx

4. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    HIS HD4870/Samsung2343BWX
    Well, you've obviously done something wrong. Did you open the file with 'Wordpad', make the changes and save it?

5. Moooze

Moooze New Member

GPU:
    ATI HD4850
    yes yes yes I did :stewpid: I missed something now its done :bang:

thanks guys ;)
    Mooze

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  6. bokloz

bokloz Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980Ti
    hello all, i made 3 profile one called after my name with fan 40% this is for desktop ,browsing ,movies,etc and one called games with 65% fan for non heavy load games and a one called cooling with fan 75% for heavy games like crysis, now my problem when i activate the profile gaming or cooling i have a smell like my card is burning and it stay only for few minutes then it goes until next time, so is this normal or there is something that is not fine ??? TIA

7. mackgt

mackgt New Member

GPU:
    visiontek hd4850
    Thanks again for this fix! Now my idle temp is 44c instead of 80c when I changed the value to 65%. I was wondering if running it at this speed of the fan will somehow "kill" the life of the gpu? Also, when I was changing the values in wordpad, it said the fan percentage value was defaulted at "9" whereas others have posted their default value was "23". Is this wierd or what? anyways, thanks again my first post here and am looking forward to contributing to this wonderful community :)
    -Mark

8. mackgt

mackgt New Member

GPU:
    visiontek hd4850
    Also offtopic, I just picked up a new 24" soyo monitor (i know not the greatest but $279 at officemax was a steal) and I was wondering if there were any good programs that would adjust the color of it to be "true" color. I came from a Cornerstone CRT hand-me-down so this is all new to me! thanks again!

-Mark

9. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4850
    Well imho it will prolong the life of your GPU if anything (you have it running cooler) and worst case scenario kill your Fan which means you will have to replace with an aftermarket HS which is a lot cheaper than the whole card.

10. schavera

schavera New Member

GPU:
    Visiontek 4850
    Thanks again for posting this fix. With a fan speed of 65%, my idle temp now runs between 52-54 degrees. At load, it jumps up to anywhere between 75-82 degrees. Part of this may be due to the room temp, but should I be concerned if I am heading back towards the 80 degree level at load? If so, then I'll have to check into adding or replaced a case fan and/or a slot fan. I am sure part of this has to due with my case (poor ventilation). I also REALLY DO NOT want to make any changes to the card itself so that will limit what I can do to cool off my case.

11. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    Not just the GPU. The heat inside the box is going to average out; which means, all components will heat up and have a shorter lifespan. You want every component in the system to run cooler; so, one HOT component will NOT allow you to do that ;)
    Strangest thing! I have an HIS card and after downloading the latest drivers, it's listed as an Asus EAH4870 series! WTF! :confused:

12. bretware

bretware Master Guru

GPU:
    Two ATI 6850's
    I little note on idle temps,I was looking over the stock bios on all HD4850's, Depending on who branded your card, the Powerplay clocks at 2D, can be 160,190,500 or 625Mhz. Also some have the 3D-L set at 625Mhz while others are set at 500Mhz.
    This explains why people are seeing different temps.

As much as I hate to say this, This card is crying for a Bios adjustment. The "Tech Power Up" tool is very stabe. And the flash is painless. I never recomend flashing a new card, but it will need to be done at sometime anyway! Go for it!

Bretware

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  13. asa

asa Member

GPU:
    HIS HD4850
    I wonder if we make some profiles with diffirent clocks, fan's speed may damage the gpu as it's should be controlled by bios.

Thanks Bretware, 4850 idle at 80*C is burning me.

14. bretware

bretware Master Guru

GPU:
    Two ATI 6850's
    Tomorrow I will post new bios for all HD4850's, The first batch will be aggressive, 680/1100 3D-H clocks on stock voltage(This clock is 100% rock solid), expect the fan to run between 55-70%, while keeping the temps @70c at load.
    All fan and power play issues will be fixed, with a 10 second flash.

Bretware

15. C DuDe

C DuDe Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 4870x2

Hi,

I followed the profile editing to the letter and made a Optimal and a Gaming profile.
    Resp. 35% and 50% fan speed increase.
    However when I want to activate one of the profiles the checkbox 'mark' isn't shown.
    This wouldn't be a problem however the fan doesn't speed up.

Edit: I use Catalist 8.7 on a Vista 64bit OS

Any suggestions?

2nd Edit:

Sorry wrong thread.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008

16. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    Checkbox mark? We don't need no stinkin' checkbox mark! :banana:
    I was a bit curious why there was no checkmark on the activated profile; however, when I select a profile and click - it works. I have 3 with different fan speeds and can tell that each profile changes the fan speed. :) I'm running the same OS and Catalyst drivers.

17. C DuDe

C DuDe Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 4870x2
    Ok, then that leaves the part about...

This wouldn't be a problem however the fan doesn't speed up.

For testing I set one profile to 70%, I presume with this setting I should hear a differense.

But no dice...

18. C DuDe

C DuDe Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 4870x2
    Now do I feel foolish... :grad:

Found what I messed up... working now!!!! Card is cooling down as I type. (whas going at 101c idle :( with room temp at 25c)

Thx for the great hint!

19. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    101c idle? :eek: Did you fry a couple of eggs on the top of the case? :banana:
    Mine's currently at 49C. I think it was 70 or 80 before. :bigsmile:
    BTW: special THANK YOU to the person who posted the ini file info. :)

20. C DuDe

C DuDe Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 4870x2
    Well I did the auto tune, went to work and came back...
    It changed the memory clock to 1090, Core clock stayed at 780.
    Can't remember the default setting on the Mem.clock it run at 82c then.