Radeon Adrenalin Edition 18.5.1 Drivers Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by NvidiaFreak650, May 18, 2018.

1. arbys

arbys Guest

GPU:
    2x Sapphire R9 Fury
    He gives a workaround on Reddit, why not put it in the release notes under the known issues section so every AMD user that doesn't browse Reddit is made aware of the problem? You know, a bug that waste your electricity and potentially prevent your fans from spinning down (wear and tear) should be given as much visibility as possible in an official manner.

Oh and when you kill the amddvr.exe process you can't use the AMD Overlay anymore until you reboot your computer...

2. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    You do understand that one part is related to another part to another part etc...I understand the frustration...but sometimes it is just what it is especially with software that is constantly evolving.

Over the years I have posted personal workarounds I have figured out for people. It is the nature of software. Bugs...will always be there.

Hell AMD used to use one of my workarounds for well over a year and refer people to it...as the workaround is not actually solving the underlying issue or an actual fix as the fix was a lot more complicated to implement. I could not fix the actual issue either but figured out a workaround until a fix could done.

3. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    why?

I use every opportunity to be in 50W power envelope, especially during summer.
    2d games, youtube, watching movies etc... Simply project on 2nd screen and say hello to Intel UHD 630.

Come to think of it, now im p***ed cos Zero Core has never really been working for me. That should shave 10W more watts.

4. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    My experience with AMD is usually simple.
    Usually no problems with the drivers, aside some minor issues in the first releases of new branches.
    AMD introduced a new branch with the 18.4.1, I've started to have massive slowdowns on my Relive recordings LOL.
    I bet my ass that the next ones, for example will be more stable.

It's usually like that, the first or second drivers of a new branch, always do breaks something, I do understand that when they change branches, they usually do some tweaking under the hood or add stuff like (WDDM 2.4 or whatever the number), altough they always break something for me, not to an extent of causing BSOD or basic instabilities, but usually affect some games performance or Radeon software, which in this case for me it is Relive.

They usually keep the same branch for 3/4 or 6 months, only delivering hotfixes and profiles, through all that time, it usually his fine.

HK-1 likes this.

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah the new 24.xx driver series might need some tweaking, I should have installed the Q2 driver just to see if that changes anything but now 18.5.1 is probably only a day or so out so might as well wait.
    I don't use DVR though and have been renaming DVRCMD.exe since it started adding these two services even if you opt to not install ReLive at the end of driver install since I don't use the overlay info either.

NVIDIA tweaks ShadowPlay with GFE and listed a known issue with their latest driver so for AMD's software to have a few problems is probably nothing uncommon and hopefully it will be sorted within one driver update release. :)
    (And now there's also WDDM 2.4 and Windows 10 RS4 / 1803 so that likely adds to the work they're doing with this branch.)

EDIT: These things can happen though, I think it was 16.12.1 that was just broken in some way causing random driver crashes in games and just being unstable in general. Didn't really know that back then though but some months ago reading up on AMD's drivers and checking the community forum I came across a post from a user on this driver and a post from a AMD employee confirming the driver was problematic.

17.1.1 should have already resolved it since way earlier from when that post was made.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    HK-1 likes this.
  6. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Also heard State Of Decay 2 (Releasing today) have tons of bugs...maybe thats another reason for the delay.

7. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Could be I suppose, game issues are separate from driver ones but that probably just complicates internal testing if the game is prone to bugs or at worst crashes.
    Even the re-released version of the first game had it's issues as I recall, early release version of SOD2 could probably do with a patch or several so it wouldn't surprise me if they release one shortly now that the game is officially released or will be soon. :)

One of the streams ran into a error message about Steam not being initialized so there will likely be a Steam port later on but probably a few months exclusivity on Windows 10 and UWP first.

8. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    Hopefully this driver won't crash "amdkmdap" (which causes a BSOD on the second attempt) when plugging in my HTC ViVE while launching SteamVR.

9. holler

holler Master Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7900XTX Aqua
    Great game though, the bugs are not as bad in the retail version. Been playing all weekend on the Ultimate version without a single crash or substantial game breaking anomaly. (i7 7600k with Vega 64) The early reviews seem to focus so much on it in the pre-release build that they don't actually review the great zombie apocalypse simulation it is. I am looking more forward to the driver from an optimization standpoint.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    LocoDiceGR likes this.
  10. Rootax

Rootax Member Guru

GPU:
    3090 MSI Suprim X
    I agree. Played hours this weekend and monday (win10 , Vega FE with 18.4.1 drivers), not a a single crash. I have only one visual bug, by night when I turn on the car lights, I've a strange horizontal "line", but that's it, nothing game breaking

holler likes this.

11. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    3 pages long thread without driver even released, wtf? IMO this thread should be closed/reset right after driver release.

P.S.
    401, still/again.

Rambo and cookieboyeli like this.
  12. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Any working link?

13. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    Nope, still nothing (blank page) but you're welcome to join us on the hypetrain.

14. holler

holler Master Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7900XTX Aqua
  15. holler

holler Master Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7900XTX Aqua
    I get that line too occasionally, which I am hoping the optimized drivers fixes.

16. GlennB

GlennB Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 EK
    They sure are taking their sweet time, hopefully this driver fixes the annoying DPC latency spikes i'm getting.

17. Wolf2079

Wolf2079 Member

GPU:
    NITRO RX 580 8 GB
    Good day, just to know if someone has tried to install these drivers AMD Q2 2018 / 18.10.02 in graphic cards dedicated example rx vega, rx 580, since checking the .inf file I find everything necessary for the operation of the same, soon I will try to see if it works on my RX 580, greetings.

18. Romulus_ut3

Romulus_ut3 Master Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX5700 XT 8G
    AMD's site is still showing 18.4.1 as the latest optional driver available.

19. holler

holler Master Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7900XTX Aqua
    yawn, any updates?

20. Rambo

Rambo Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 XT
    Seems like a false alarm.