Proof: Something is wrong with ATI Drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by The General, Aug 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lowteckh

Lowteckh Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4850 @ stock
    TOTALLY A GAMING CARD. WTFPWNZ EVERYONE. Why is this stupid fcking thread still going on? Stop arguing with the guy already if you know he's not listening or whatnot so this crap thread can just sink and disappear, god, do some of you have this subscribed?

2. demowhc

demowhc Member Guru

GPU:
    3*HD5850 Tri-CFX 850/1150
    The General, what is your 3Dmark06 score?

3. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    it would be around ....not even run

4. demowhc

demowhc Member Guru

GPU:
    LOL i know im just being cheeky.. :wanker:

5. Laykun

Laykun Guest

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX670 4GB
    A thread like this is epic. We need to nurture it and let it grow, it's a delicate and gentle balance of fail rarely observed on the internet, the opportunity to observer and study this phenomena is indeed an entertaining and educating experience.

6. demowhc

demowhc Member Guru

GPU:
    lol if you ever feel like a n00b you can just open this thread and make yourself feel better :banana:

7. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Did his machine blow up yet?

8. Thunderball

Thunderball Member Guru

GPU:
    HD5870+Twinturbo Pro
    No, but he needs some kick ass watercooling now :)

9. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Lol, good idea!!

10. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    Sometimes we all must epic fail.

Spending money on an old machine is a waste of time unless you collect antiques or get a real bargain (I'm talking 5$ bargain). The money would be far better spent on some newer hardware. I'd be really surprised if you could not buy a faster machine second hand for the price of a new graphics card.

-The General
    You do understand the concept of CPU speed limiting the rate which the graphics card can be fed data? For recent budget graphics cards you would want at least 2GHz and probably more like 3GHz for old CPUs. With new CPUs you could probably get away with something above 1.2GHz. I'm sure there would be thousands of PCs out there that cost a couple hundred bucks second hand at the most and would be more than adequate for the graphics cards you have. I wouldn't be surprised if you could find a PC with a better graphics card for less than what you probably already spent on those graphics cards.

If you want value and performance for money, you won't get it from spending money or wasting time on and old machine. Use it to run a GNU/Linux firewall or server or something...just not games.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008

11. Exceededgoku

Exceededgoku Guest

GPU:
    R9 295X2 x 2 in Quadfire
    I honestly don't understand how all that hardware is running off of 90W?! And you know you can pick up a new PSU (400W for about 10$ or £10)... ANd 8400GS PCI doesn't have PhysX does it????

12. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    Even if 8400GS has PhysX support, what good would it be if it can hardly even run 3D stuff, let alone anything more...

13. demowhc

demowhc Member Guru

GPU:
    lol yeh you are getting 15fps then turn physX on and get about 5fps lol.. awesome!

14. Thunderball

Thunderball Member Guru

GPU:
    HD5870+Twinturbo Pro
    He´ll never get the card to work with his massive 90W PSU.
    But i guess he will tell us that everything just works fine for him and post some fake pictures.

I wonder on what planet he´s living :bang:

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Very entertaining thread. I'm rather surprised though. I didn't know they made a PCI version of the HD2400 or 8400GS. I think General needs to read TechPowerUp's site a little closer, as they openly state that GPU-Z is a beta and as such open to many new and exciting errors. GPU-Z reports my GPU clock as being 819243 and my mem clock as being 500mhz, but I can run solitaire just fine!!!. I guess that Catalyst driver really did improve my graphics card!!!! Ok, back on subject. How did that computer even manage to boot drawing 100+ watts from a 90watt PSU??? Even more amazing, the GF8 series all requires 300watts or better....so, shouldn't his house be a huge ball of fire after trying to boot with an 8400GS? Even if the 8400GS does support PhysX...the 8600GT can't even do 2 things at a time, wtf would you even try with an 8400GS? This thread is definitely good for a laugh. I thought I was a noob, even after building computers for 10 years, til I read this thread. Turns out, I'm only a noob when it comes to gaming configurations. Btw, Pentium3 and HD2400 PCI....aint gonna run Crysis...heck, I'd be surprised if it'd run FarCry at better than 5fps. My old 8600GT backed by an Athlon64 5600+ OC'd to 3.2ghz with 3gb DDR2-800 couldn't even run Crysis at an acceptable framerate. Even on mixed Low/Med I was only getting 20-25fps at "low texture" points in the game. Yes, I know, for Crysis..."low texture" is a fairly relative term. Last time I booted a system below 1ghz was 2002 when I declared my father's Celeron 400 "obsolete for running solitaire." Also, if you think ATI drivers have their flaws....wait til nVidia gets rolling on driver updates again....you'll see some flaws. Several nVidia owners complained of "mysterious black screens" after about 20mins with the 174 drivers.

16. TDurden

TDurden Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    Actually, yes :) I just couldn't help it.
    Don't you think this thread is interesting in a unique way?

17. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    I love this thread. I love it so much. And The General is playing this so well, I honestly can not tell if this is one big joke, or if he really is that stupid and arrogant.

For one, of course COD4 will run better with more bandwidth. No surprise there.

Secondly; just STFU and listen for just one damn minute. The only reason the bandwidth is bigger in that second shot you posted is because the memory is clocked higher. Notice how the memory clock is double that of the first, and the bandwidth is also very close to double that of the first shot?

Do you honestly think that hs no effect on the bandwidth?

If you can post GPU-Z shots, each with everything EXACTLY the same (GPU-Z version, same card, same clocks etc etc), with the only difference being the driver version and bandwidth then we will believe you. Hell, some laws of physics and GPU designers will have to totally change their procedures, since a simple driver updtae would increase bandwidth. Who would need to buy a new card, when just some drivers could double the performance?

If you are really failing to see this now, then you are too retarded or too arrogant.

18. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    Wow. It must be a troll, how did we not catch the changed memory clock?

facepalm

19. mehdi

mehdi Guest

GPU:
    XFX 5970
    Forget the 4870X2 reviews im waiting for his 8400GS review.

20. fasteddy

fasteddy Guest

GPU:
    2 x Asus HD6950oc
    Yep, I'm waiting (with baited breath) for that too... seems to be taking his time over it tho!

Or perhaps he's realised that you can't polish a turd?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.